• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW votes on the battle of the individual cricket shots

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We've had several 'best exponents of various cricket shot' threads before, but never really comprehensively with vote-offs on every shot & the use of you-tube videos.

Whether we want nominees seconded or not, I'm not entirely sure, but I do think youtube video evidence would make it better, especially for those younger posters. Although this would mean we'll probably end up missing a lot of older players where footage just isn't available, but dems the breaks.

Thoughts on the compulsory use of video clips (with specific reference to the exact time the shot is played on the video/videos) as part of the nomination process and whether each nominee in each stroke battle needs to be seconded or not? Your feedback is welcome.

Firstly, to establish the cricket shots we want covered, I've come up with about 25 off the top of my head with many consisting of both front-foot and back-foot shots separately. eg. front-foot cover-drive separate to backfoot cover drive.

Straight drive - Front-foot/Backfoot
On-drive - FF/BF
Off-drive - FF/BF
Cover-drive - FF/BF
Pull-shot - BF/FF
Hook-shot
Leg-glance
Square-drive- FF/BF
Late-cut
Cut
Square-cut
Slog-sweep
Lap-shot/ramp
Reverse-sweep/switch-hit
Sweep shot
Lofted straight-drive
Lofted on-drive - FF/BF
Lofted cover-drive
Lofted square-drive
Lofted off-drive
Upper-cut over slips
Flick off the pads
Forward defense
Back defense
The Leave

Please add any shots you think I've missed. Once we're established all the shots, we'll kick off with nominations for Battle 1, The straight-drive off the front foot.

My thought is who cares if this goes on for months & as we move through each individual battle, so you might be voting on your top 3-4 out of 6-8 every battle depending on how many video nominations/seconded we get for each battle.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
switch-hit and scoop? and ramp? or does uppercut include one of those. **** there are too many gimmicky shots nowadays to remember them all

Zinzan

switch-hit and scoop? and ramp? or does uppercut include one of those. **** there are too many gimmicky shots nowadays to remember them all
I thought switch-hit was covered by the reverse sweep, & ramp by the lap-shot (or Dil-scoop), unless you mean they're slightly different again.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Flick off the pads?

My vote will be for square drive as winner. The one that Kohli plays.

Zinzan

Flick off the pads?
Good one & added.

My vote will be for square drive as winner. The one that Kohli plays.
Perhaps I wasn't clear or the title's slightly misleading, but I wasn't meaning a battle of which of those above shots are people's favourites, I'm meaning voting on the best exponent of each of those individual shots. e.g Best exponent of the square cut shot - Greenidge, Square drive - Martyn etc etc., or however the votes end up.

Perhaps the video evidence doesn't have to be compulsory, but it will add in pushing people's case.

Last edited:

Daemon

Might have to add the backfoot lofted on drive for six Kohli played the other day

Howe_zat

Audio File

I think the proper name for this shot is a reverse backward leg drive.

It went for 1.

Last edited: