• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks Top 25 Bowlers of All Time (Version 2010)

bagapath

International Captain
Round 2

Murali - 3
Hadlee - 2
Barnes - 1

Can you guys please mention what round it is in your posts. Makes it easier to track.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Round 2

Muttiah Muralitharan 3 points
Curtly Ambrose 2 points
Fred Trueman 1 point

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
For a real surprise, you must see this:
Reliance Mobile ICC Player Rankings
That's not a rating based on overall careers, at the first place.

This thread is about overall careers, and this thread is not only about test cricket, too. If someone thinks ODIs or FC cricket or WSC stats are important in some cases, they may as well use those to form their opinion about players' overall careers. (Wasim, Larwood, Peter Pollock, Barry Richards, Viv Richards, Graeme Pollock, WG Grace being some examples).

In other words, this thread is very open-ended. What's the idea of a great batsman or a great bowler you have is the most important thing.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks. Any particular reason why? Yours was entirely different. :p
Firstly, because I rate Lohmann highly too. Secondly because I rate Barnes highly too. Third reason being that I rate Marshall highly too. Though I rate Hadlee above all 3 because of the lack of support he bowled with, but I don't have an issue if someone thinks otherwise mainly because all 4 of them were bowlers with entirely different styles which makes comparison hard. However, now I don't like your list for rank 2 that much. :)

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
That's not a rating based on overall careers, at the first place.

This thread is about overall careers, and this thread is not only about test cricket, too. If someone thinks ODIs or FC cricket or WSC stats are important in some cases, they may as well use those to form their opinion about players' overall careers. (Wasim, Larwood, Peter Pollock, Barry Richards, Viv Richards, Graeme Pollock, WG Grace being some examples).

In other words, this thread is very open-ended. What's the idea of a great batsman or a great bowler you have is the most important thing.
I know the rating I not for overall career. And I agree with the rest of what you say!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Botham was hardly the smallest either!

More interesting is the placing of the likes of Harmison, Swann and Shoaib in relation to Wasim.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Wasim Akram is probably the best swing bowler I've seen. Someone who had an amazing outswinger, an amazing inswinger and an amazing reverse swing. He had excellent control over his swing. He was equally likely to take the wicket of the best batsman of the opposition in the 1st over, in the 20th over or in the 60th over. An amazing bowler in all formats of the game, a fast bowler with a very lengthy career. There is no left-handed fast bowler in the history of the game, apart from Allan Davidson, who comes even close to Wasim in terms of bowling achievements. I personally rate him as the 2nd best bowler Pakistan has ever produced, right after Imran Khan. But, I remember, a few years ago CW used to rate him above even Imran.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My votes are:
Richard Hadlee (3 points)
Sydney Barnes (2 points)
Muttiah Muralitharan (1 point)
Now, there is a tie in the rank 2 voting.

I think the only way for me to break this tie is to edit my own votes (I shall do this only when there is a tie for the first spot).

My new votes are:
Hadlee (3 points)
Barnes (2 points)
Imran (1 point)

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Rank 2 Results Declared and Rank 3 Voting Begins

Muralitharan (29)
Barnes (25)
McGrath (22)
etc etc etc...

Rank 1: Malcolm Marshall
Rank 2: Richard Hadlee

I shall be maintaining two counts: one showing how many of the already ranked players played in which decade, and the other showing the fast bowling-spin bowling split.

Decade-wise split
1890 and before: 0
1891-1900: 0
1901-10: 0
1911-20: 0
1921-30: 0
1931-40: 0
1941-50: 0
1951-60: 0
1961-70: 0
1971-80: 2 (100%)
1981-90: 2 (100%)