• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Current Test XI' Draft

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
If there is sufficient interest I am looking to do a draft including current players, would take part myself so looking for ideally 9 others to make it a 10 team draft. Would take a snake draft format - so first person picks then 2nd then 3rd then 4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10. Following round 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1. I'd be happy to pick last in first round and can use a randomiser from 1-9 to decide order of rest of participants - will probably just do person who enters first is 1, 2nd person 2 etc.

Rules would be:

Before selecting first player you should decide what pitch this theoretical team would play at - e.g. Eden Gardens, MCG, Headingley etc. - Feel free to give yourself a team name if you want to. (EDIT - The team will be judged in relation to the pitch so 5 seamers at the Sinhalese Sports Club in Sri Lanka probably doesn't work too well, for example.)

You can include any player who has played in a Test match since 1st January 2019 whether retired or not

No more then a maximum of 2 players from one cricketing nation (the nation they represent rather then place of birth)

Highlight who your captain and wicketkeeper would be at the end of the draft along with full lineup and then do a vote for best to worst teams - best getting 10pts, 2nd best 9pts to worst 1pt and then I'll tally up final scores to decide winner. I'll have voting from 10pts to 2pts for those voting who are part of draft so you can't include your own team in list.

Any questions feel free to ask

To allow for different time zones, does a maximum of 10 hours per pick sound fair? My first time doing this so open to suggestions on increasing/decreasing limit - would encourage anyone to pick as soon as possible when it is their turn but with people being around the world don't want people to miss out on picking simply through time zones/sleeping.

Last edited:

JOJOXI

Just to clarify as I'm not sure how clear I made it in the original post teams will be judged on the context of pitch so just as an example you probably wouldn't have five seamers at the SSC in Sri Lanka, a Jimmy Anderson is probably just a good pick in Asia but a great one in England etc.

I'll update the original post to make that absolutely clear in case it wasn't. If all is understood, I am just waiting for four more participants, if we get two more to bring it up to 8, I will probably start another 24 hours after eigth participant joins or until we get to 10 (whichever happens first) if that is fine with everybody? I will then post the randomised order on here.

If any misunderstanding over pitch then before the start of the draft just re-post with updated pitch.

JOJOXI

Given its been over 24 hours with no new entrants, I will give it another 12 hours and then start with any new entrants joining after those 12 hours joining end of draft order. I will post draft order including all of us and anyone else who joins in the next 12 hours at about 9pm UK time

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I thought I better change the ground to one that has actually hosted test matches, so can I make it the Basin Reserve instead?

JOJOXI

@ Weldone - what pitch will your side be based at - this pitch will be used to judge your drafted team at the end - so if at the Sinhalese Sports Club for example then an all-pace bowling attack no matter how good is probably not the way to go etc.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really love the idea of basing this on a particular pitch.

I do have a question about that, how do we judge how say, Bradman would go on the Perth stadium? Some grounds are relatively recent or didn't have certain players play on them.

JOJOXI

I do have a question about that, how do we judge how say, Bradman would go on the Perth stadium? Some grounds are relatively recent or didn't have certain players play on them.
It is a current Test XI - in opening post it highlights the rules - must have played a Test since the start of 2019 and maximum of 2 cricketers from any country (the country they played for rather then where they were born). I will re-post them along with draft order later.

But point taken and for some newer players this issue may still be the case - it's largely down to people's interpretations when voting but thought this better than say going solely by country as the SCG different from the WACA and the MCG in recent years. Guyana more spin-friendly then say Barbados/Jamaica etc.

JOJOXI

Should I add you to the draft Stephen or not?

JOJOXI

Draft Order for Round 1

1. Honestbharani – Honest Hunks – M.A. Chindambaran Stadium (Chennai)
2. Weldone – Weldone – Eden Gardens, Kolkata
3. Tetuton – Teutonic Knights – Adelaide Oval
4. Line and Length – LLCC – Melbourne Cricket Ground
5. Fuller Pilch – Ilford 2nd XI – Basin Reserve
6. Kingkallis - CricZo XI – Lords Cricket Ground
7. JOJOXI – JOJOXI – Sinhalese Sports Club

Draft Order for Round 2

1. JOJOXI – JOJOXI – Sinhalese Sports Club
2. Kingkallis - CricZo XI – Lords Cricket Ground
3. Fuller Pilch – Ilford 2nd XI – Basin ReservE
4. Line and Length - LLCC - Melbourne Cricket Ground
5. Tetuton – Teutonic Knights – Adelaide Oval
6. Weldone - Weldone - Eden Gardens, Kolkata
7. Honestbharani - Honest Hunks - M.A Chindambaran Stadium (Chennai)

Rules

You can include any player who has played in a Test match since 1st January 2019 whether retired or not

No more then a maximum of 2 players from one cricketing nation (the nation they represent rather then place of birth)

I will add any player who joins before end of Round 1 to end of list and then update Round 2 order if and when necessary.