• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current run out rules - do they need to change?

Do the rules regarding run-outs in situations as alluded to below need to be changed?

• Total voters

Bijed

International Regular
So, this just happened in the Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka ODI

Originally posted by Cricinfo

25.5 from Shakib Al Hasan, the bat was plonked inside but he lifted it even as both feet were in the air when the bails were dislodged. Excellent throw from deep point by Taskin, smart work from Mushfiqur. Very poor from Chandimal. Could have so easily just stretched back in. He was ambling down the crease this time. Bangladesh can't believe their luck. Third umpire S Ravi had a look at multiple replays, weighed his options and made the correct decision. Even though he was technically inside the crease, at the point of the bails coming off, both bat and feet were in the air. Rules state that is out. 136/3
Not the first time something like this has happened and I'd imagine it's been discussed before - not to mention I have little sympathy for Chandimal here if he was just being lazy - but it would seem fairer to me if, once your bat has been grounded at some point, you're safe (unless, of course, it became un-grounded at part of an attempt to begin another run). Whilst it's a bit of a different case, I think there was an instance where Inzamam(?) was run out after hitting the ball back to the bowler, then jumping in the air slightly when it was thrown back towards him, only for it to hit the stumps whilst he was airborne.

I know these things only come up once in a blue moon, but regardless, do people think the rules here need to change?

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh and that Inzamam runout where harmison threw the ball at him shouldn't have been given out. You can't be runout when you're trying to take evasive action so the umpires ****ed up.

Bijed

International Regular
Oh and that Inzamam runout where harmison threw the ball at him shouldn't have been given out. You can't be runout when you're trying to take evasive action so the umpires ****ed up.
Yeah, I thought there was an additional element to that one which made it different to Chandimal today. I guess the umpires forgot about that rule in their stunned amazement at Steve Harmison actually getting a ball on target.

vcs

Really grinds my gears. Needs to change ASAP. Happened in the recent T20I between Pakistan and WI also, I think.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Defeats the purpose of the new rule change, that decision. Umpires are ****ing idiots.

TheJediBrah

I really thought that rule was changed. Maybe it was just in Australian domestic cricket? Or I'm probably just confused and thinking of something else

Daemon

Yeah what I recalled of the change was after you ground your bat inside the line then even if you take off to the moon it doesn't matter anymore (well it would because the Earth rotates and you'd then be out of your crease but you get my point)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've always thought that if, as occasionally happens, both batsmen end up in no mans land in the middle of the pitch that it ought to be possible to run both the ****ers out and not just one

OverratedSanity

Yeah what I recalled of the change was after you ground your bat inside the line then even if you take off to the moon it doesn't matter anymore (well it would because the Earth rotates and you'd then be out of your crease but you get my point)
Then did the umpire just forget? That's so ****. Fire him.

Bijed

International Regular
This article says that the rule change is indeed a thing, but only from October

The Article

The run out rule is about to change, however. From October, a batsman who has grounded his bat behind the crease before the bails are broken, cannot be given out even if the bat is later raised.

Daemon

Why wait till october when you realise the rule needs a change. bizarre.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I've always thought that if, as occasionally happens, both batsmen end up in no mans land in the middle of the pitch that it ought to be possible to run both the ****ers out and not just one
I like the OP suggested change, but I like this even more. Will put all my money on Pakistan being the first country to show us how it is done.

cnerd123

likes this
The new set of rules changes (and not just a single rule change) will be released in October. I'll look up later what all are encompassed in it and share in here

cnerd123

likes this
This doesn't work because the ball goes dead as soon as a dismissal occurs. Would require a serious restructuring of the game to allow for 'double-plays', as they're called in baseball. If the ball doesn't go dead after a dismissal it means you could theoretically score runs after a dismissal too...