• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current Big 4 test all rounders.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Interesting to note that Stokes has a better strike rate bowling wise. Holder's is north of 60 which is fairly unimpressive for a main bowler(though countered by his decent economy rate and average) Think the least you could say is that Stokes is as much a better batsmen than Holder as Holder is a better bowler than Stokes. Don't think there is much in it either way, but I think I'd prefer Stokes as my premier all-rounder, though I accept that this isn't really an impartial view

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would rate Stokes above Holder as an all-rounder overall but its very very close between them. Stokes has done it for a bit longer than Holder and that is the only reason I would rate him above him.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stokes better imo. Holder doesn’t have a lot of runs or wickets at this stage.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Holder's a better bowler than Stokes but I think Stokes is a better bat by a similar margin, and Stokes has that whole enigmatic high impact allrounder quality to him that Holder doesn't. I tend to value that a bit less than most people but I don't value it at zero. I think they're pretty close but I'd definitely be taking Stokes.

What holds me back from really rating Holder is the fact that away from home he still averages 20 with the bat and 41 with the ball. It's a bit of a technicality because he cleaned up in "neutral" UAE and averages mid 30s with the ball if you count that as away cricket, but his batting record is still pretty terrible and the bowling record even with the UAE included is meh at best. He hasn't played a lot of Tests as an allrounder yet so I'm looking forward to seeing where his record is sitting in a couple of years, but as it stands he's not Stokes level.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Holder's a better bowler than Stokes but I think Stokes is a better bat by a similar margin, and Stokes has that whole enigmatic high impact allrounder quality to him that Holder doesn't. I tend to value that a bit less than most people but I don't value it at zero. I think they're pretty close but I'd definitely be taking Stokes.

What holds me back from really rating Holder is the fact that away from home he still averages 20 with the bat and 41 with the ball. It's a bit of a technicality because he cleaned up in "neutral" UAE and averages mid 30s with the ball if you count that as away cricket, but his batting record is still pretty terrible and the bowling record even with the UAE included is meh at best. He hasn't played a lot of Tests as an allrounder yet so I'm looking forward to seeing where his record is sitting in a couple of years, but as it stands he's not Stokes level.
interesting stuff pews would like to see how they get on in cpl