• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current Big 4 test all rounders.

Slifer

International Captain
As we all know, the 80s was blessed with 4 legendary all rounders. The 90s and 00s imo didn't have too many to talk of (outside of Kallis and Pollock). Now imo there are a glut of world class all rounders. My questions are: who would you all consider the big 4 all rounders? How do they compare with each other? And yeah their careers are mostly still on going but how do they compare with the 80s counterparts??

My opinion:

Stokes
DeGrandhomme
Shakib
Holder
Ashwin
Jadeja
Chris Woakes??

FWIW I'll admit that my opinion a few weeks ago about Ben Stokes were wrong. The guy is a gun and he's a walking superstar. If he could keep his off field shenanigans in check, sky's the limit.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mathews' bowling has gone downhill, so doesn't qualify. Pandya will belong when he gets back from injury. Jamieson should belong.

Soon:

Stokes
Holder
Shakib
Pandya
Jamieson
CdG
Jadeja

Jadeja that low only because he isn't guaranteed a spot.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Realistically it's probably Stokes + Holder + Jadeja + Shakib as the big 4 allrounders.

Tier 2 would be CDG and then blokes like Ashwin and Woakes.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jadeja’s had an incredible run of late.

Holder, Stokes and Shakib are on the same level imo
Then Jadeja and CdG
Finally Woakes, Pandya, Moeen etc

Ashwin’s batting has fallen too far to be an AR imo. 1 50 in the last 27 matches.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean isint shakib banned from international cricket for failing to inform his board about approaches by a book maker? Pretty sure he got a 2 year ban for it.

TheJediBrah

youre arguing with tjb. he's about as perceptive and impartial as you on southees odi bowling
why wouldn't I be impartial with regard to Stokes, Shakib or Holder?

anyway **** off and bowl some 115kph "bouncers" to bore batsmen out

Jadeja’s had an incredible run of late.

Holder, Stokes and Shakib are on the same level imo
Then Jadeja and CdG
Finally Woakes, Pandya, Moeen etc

Ashwin’s batting has fallen too far to be an AR imo. 1 50 in the last 27 matches.
If you say that re. Ashwin's batting you can say the same about Moeen. Genuine no-rounder lately. I'd pick a player that batted like Pat Cummins and bowled like Virat Kohli before picking Moeen.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
As we all know, the 80s was blessed with 4 legendary all rounders. The 90s and 00s imo didn't have too many to talk of (outside of Kallis and Pollock). .
Chris Cairns too. From 99-2002 he was exceptional.

Cairns finished with more than 200 wickets in either format of the game and was only the seventh cricketer to reach the all-rounder’s double of 200 wickets and 3,000 runs in Tests. It took him 58 matches to get there, which is just three more than Ian Botham, who got there the quickest, in 55.

This puts Cairns ahead of some of the greats of the game such as Kapil Dev (73), Imran Khan (75), Garry Sobers (80), Richard Hadlee (83) and Shaun Pollock (87). In Tests, Cairns’s 3,320 runs came at 33.53 and his 218 wickets came at 29.40.
https://www.cricketcountry.com/arti...greatest-all-rounders-the-game-has-seen-27836

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Stokes Shakib Holder Jadeja

Others not really at that level. CdG is good on occasion but not match-winning enough as yet to be in the above class.

Last edited:

Daemon

why would I be impartial with regard to Stokes, Shakib or Holder?

anyway **** off and bowl some 115kph "bouncers" to bore batsmen out

If you say that re. Ashwin's batting you can say the same about Moeen. Genuine no-rounder lately. I'd pick a player that batted like Pat Cummins and bowled like Virat Kohli before picking Moeen.
Yeah fair, Moeen probably doesn’t belong in that company