• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Curling is worst sport ever.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Watching the repeat telecast of Winter Olympics - Curling match between US and UK for the bronze. It is the worst sport i have ever watched. ts just ridiculous. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some may call me ignorant, but it's hardly a sport in my mind.

In fact, half the Winter Olympics is comprised of "sports" which are entirely contrived and hardly worthy of the Olympic title.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Curling > Soccer.

That's no disrespect to soccer, it's just credit to such a magnificant game.

cameeel

International Captain
Sanz said:
Watching the repeat telecast of Winter Olympics - Curling match between US and UK for the bronze. It is the worst sport i have ever watched. ts just ridiculous. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
No, Synchronized Swimming and Ice Dancing are...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
Ice dancing definetely > synchronised swimming.

definatley

Curling is hugely popular in 2 or 3 countries - they absolutley love it

There is only 1 real sport in the olympic winter games and that is ice hockey!

Moguls, Aerials, figure skating, bob sledding and Luge and all pretty good too though

Natman20

International Debutant
I certainly enjoyed watching the curling. Pity for the NZers anyone can win in those games.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
The 1000m Speed Skating and the Slalom are both awesome to watch.
Yeah and that one with all the bumps and those two ramps. Starts with Mo...but i forget the rest

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Some may call me ignorant, but it's hardly a sport in my mind.

In fact, half the Winter Olympics is comprised of "sports" which are entirely contrived and hardly worthy of the Olympic title.

Oooh, ooooh, ooooh - thank you. You've given me an outlet for a rant that I went on in my column this week...

Been captivated by the Winter Olympics?
Thought not.
Call me a good old-fashioned Kiwi bloke, with a love of rugby, racing and beer (not to mention a little cricket), but the Winter Olympics is one sporting event that just doesn't spin my wheels. Or sweeps my ice, to use some curling vernacular.
If it wasn't for the presence of Oamaru's very own Mickey Ross in the New Zealand team, I think the whole 16 or so days could have completely passed under my radar.
And the TV news programmes seem to have about the same interest in the Italian's turn at the winter Games.
There's been the odd golden moment that the sports editors have deemed appropriate to share with us on prime-time, but mostly it's been the spills (with a distinct lack of thrills) of figure skating which have been appearing on our TV screens.
The standard drug scandal has just hit the games, while one American boarder-cross contestant was made to look more than a little stupid when she celebrated a gold medal too early, and ended up turning into a human snow cone.
Not that I have a problem with some of the sports in the games - I have all the time in the world for skiers, considering my efforts on skis are akin to a cat with large blocks of butter on its paws.
Ski jumping certainly takes some guts as well, as does the various forms of luging and bobsledding. Although how many different ways can you go down a thin, curved track at 100kmh?
And there lies the problem. There’s not really enough actual sports to justify the Games.
The summer version has close to 30 different sports, and the variations of each sport are represented during the carnival, whereas the Winter Olympics would be lucky to have 10 distinct sports represented, although I’m still struggling with the idea of figure skating as an Olympic sport.
Don’t get me wrong - they’re athletes, and obviously work hard at their craft.
But any sport at either the summer or winter Olympics that relies on judging of style shouldn’t a place at the Olympics.
The Olympics are based on the “faster, higher, stronger” theory motto, which summer sports like athletics, swimming, cycling and weightlifting and winter sports such as skiing and ski jumping fit perfectly.
But figure skating and gymnastics are two of the sports I would give the flick to if I was in charge of the International Olympic Committee - which I’m sure several sports are glad I’m not.
There seems to be a few lines blurred between some of the Winter Olympic sports and what sports are put on at the Winter X-Games. Surely if events like the snowboarding half-pipe can be in the Olympics, they’d lose the street cred to be considered “extreme” enough for the X-Games?
But what would I know? I was never “hip” at school - and doubt I am now.
Anyway, best of luck for Mickey as he races this weekend - he’s put in the hard yards over the last few years, and I’m sure he’ll make the trip for his parents, John and Kay, totally worth it.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I always found curling like lawn bowls on ice.

Who here can honestly say they dislike lawn bowls?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the definitive word on the Winter Olympics came from Simon Barnes in The Times:

"I’m not going to watch Brokeback Mountain while the Winter Olympics are still on. Who needs to watch cowboys performing buggery when you have the luge doubles?" :laugh:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I think the definitive word on the Winter Olympics came from Simon Barnes in The Times:

"I’m not going to watch Brokeback Mountain while the Winter Olympics are still on. Who needs to watch cowboys performing buggery when you have the luge doubles?" :laugh:

:lol: thats fantastic

danish

U19 12th Man
I'm pretty sure that the athletes who compete in the Winter Olympic sports (except for Ice Hockey and Skiing) are the only people in the world who actually play those sports. I mean, who actually heard of a Skeleton Bob before Shelley Rudman won a silver medal in it?