• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CSA confirms guideline on selection quota

Shady Slim

International Coach
i know that there are some courses only accessible to indigenous australians (from reading the uac guide) though i have no idea if they lead to different opportunities compared to the relevant "open" degree or if they are only for opportunities such as the indigenous support counsellors some schools have

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm talking about the international guideline, not the domestic quota (which is a hard quota, rather than this target guideline). That one certainly does worry me, because it actively forces certain players to be included ahead of other players without taking talent into account. Very different to having a "ideally we want 4 players of colour" target that isn't actively enforced as a CSA law, as such.
Rest of the post was good, gonna respond to this because while the 4 players thing might not be enshrined in CSA law, going under that number is clearly controversial enough for someone to interfere in team selection for a World Cup semi final.

And regardless of talent, merit etc I think it would take a brave man to pick an all-white South African XI. It's a moot point just now because of Hashim Amla (and probably one or two others, I'm betraying my ignorance of South African cricket here by not immediately being able to reel off 2 or 3 other names) but do you honestly see a situation where a coach could pick the 11 best players in the country if all 11 happened to be white?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LOL @ Tahir counting as a non-white selection. That doesn't assist in the objective of the policy at all.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Rest of the post was good, gonna respond to this because while the 4 players thing might not be enshrined in CSA law, going under that number is clearly controversial enough for someone to interfere in team selection for a World Cup semi final.

And regardless of talent, merit etc I think it would take a brave man to pick an all-white South African XI. It's a moot point just now because of Hashim Amla (and probably one or two others, I'm betraying my ignorance of South African cricket here by not immediately being able to reel off 2 or 3 other names) but do you honestly see a situation where a coach could pick the 11 best players in the country if all 11 happened to be white?
I can't help but think that if it were any coloured player other than Philander, Duminy or Amla (i.e. the guys who are unquestionably deserving of their places in the XI), that we'd never have had this situation. If it were Lonwabo Tsotsobe coming back from injury, with the same stats as Philander in the World Cup, then Abbott holds his place IMO. I think Philander's track record led to the officials going "well, Philander > Abbott overall and we think that the captain and coach are making an error anyway, so is it really that harmful to overrule them and meet the guideline at the same time?" The answer obviously being yes, but I think this incident came about from a combination of factors, including Philander's stature as a first-choice South African pace bowler when fit, rather than an overwhelming urge from someone in the hierarchy to make a statement by forcing a fourth player of colour into the semi-final team, come hell or highwater.

I mean, at the time, plenty of people thought it was a 50/50 call on whether to pick Abbott or Philander IIRC. I certainly did.

If the 11 best players in the country happen to be white, it's symbolic of a deeper structural problem where all the grassroots stuff CSA is trying to do is failing dismally, and would have been failing dismally for a long time. Now I don't know 100% who counts and doesn't count as a player of colour, but I think to end up with an XI of purely 'white' players, you'd have to do a lot of selectorial ****ery and probably break a few kneecaps too. If, by some magical coincidence, every single player worthy of national team selection is white, then Cricket South Africa (and South Africa more generally), have a ****load of more important things to worry about than missing a guideline.

There are that many coloured players embedded in the national team at present, and that many performing in the domestic structure, that I can't fathom a situation where the best 11 players are all white.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Google Translate

Report heard on good authority that at least three players of the Titans are already negotiating with overseas teams to seek their salvation - shortly after the announcement of new kwotavoorskrifte on home soil.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) confirmed last month that will be maintained strict new rasteikens of next season.

According to need at least six of the 11 players in each franchisespan non-white, and must have at least three of those players to be black.

The same rules apply South African amateur teams.

This means that only about 30 white franchise players next season career playing cricket.

Apparently, the former Proteas spinner Roelof van der Merwe the biggest name among players who are already looking elsewhere for livelihood.

Van der Merwe (30), who represented South Africa in 13 one-day and T20 13 games, has apparently already applied for his passport Dutch and he wants to represent the country in future.

He qualifies for citizenship, thanks to a Dutch grandmother.

Two of his Titan teammates - Shaun von Berg and Graeme van Buuren - is apparently considering to play in Australia and Ireland respectively.

Van Buuren boasts a first class batting average of just under 50, while Von Berg has 254 first class wickets (at 27.94) with his bybrekers snaring.

The future of two more Titans, Heino Kuhn wicketkeeper and paceman Marchant de Lange is also embroiled dark.

The 31-year-old Kuhn, also a talented businessman, will soon have a surgery to undergo a nagging back injury and is apparently considering to announce his retirement.

According to a teammate realize De Lange "his chances to play, be few" - especially with the advent of the Lions fast bowler Chris Morris.

In turn, the fast bowler Hardus Viljoen apparently abandoned its plan to exchange South Africa to New Zealand.

According to his agent, the former Proteas fast bowler Fanie de Villiers said the Johannesburg flash a lucrative new contract signed with the Lions - despite negotiations with a Kiwi team.

Meanwhile, the Cape captain Richard Levi confirmed to espncricinfo.com that he has become fit his British passport.