• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crushing losses suffered by strong teams

subshakerz

International Coach
This loss by SA always stuck in my mind. A full strength team with Donald and Pollock was annihilated in an innings loss in the first test at home, not being able to take a wicket for an entire day.

Are there similar huge losses suffered by strong sides?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England's 58/59 side had the reputation of the best to visit Australia before it arrived yet copped 4 of them.
That's one of those ones that existed more in media than reality though. They didn't beat South Africa in 56/57 with pretty much the same team. You can always rely on the English media to hyperbolise.

I suppose you can draw parallels with England in '13/'14. A strong team on paper, and in the media, but a bit more context deflates the impression.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This Australia loss in India was a bit of a shocker. Collapsed on the first day against an attack that had Ganguly opening the bowling, and it didn't get any better from there.

This Murali/Mendis demolition of India was demoralizing too

The Indian team which lost 8-0 was actually deemed to be strong prior to the losses, with a atg batting line-up, a very good bowling line-up and coming off a World cup win.
It really shouldn't have been considered strong for the Australia series. The problems were glaring by that point.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
It really shouldn't have been considered strong for the Australia series. The problems were glaring by that point.
No I remember it well. A lot of people said that it was a great chance for India to win a series on Australia soil, which obviously got very wrong later.

subshakerz

International Coach
Conversely, the England side that smashed Australia and India in 2010-11 went and collapsed in the UAE against Pakistan.

A very short reign of dominance.
Also the England worldbeating Ashes 2005 side that was smacked by Pakistan that winter.

Noticing a theme here…

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
India losing in Pune, prior to that Australia lost all 9 matches in subcontinent from 2013 to 2016,
India at that time were 1st in test rankings.

morgieb

This Australia loss in India was a bit of a shocker. Collapsed on the first day against an attack that had Ganguly opening the bowling, and it didn't get any better from there.
**** me that bowling attack looks grim though. Gavin Robertson and Paul Wilson!

No excuses for that collapse though.

OverratedSanity

**** me that bowling attack looks grim though. Gavin Robertson and Paul Wilson!

No excuses for that collapse though.
Reiffel got injured after the first test IIRC. Left Australia with Wilson and Dale who weren't in the same class and part time dibbly dobblies from Blewett for the rest of the series.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
that bowling attack is a bit "who have we got left surviving on tour mates"
Theres also Bradman and Fingleton both being out tbf.

Also lol, always fun to read O’Reilly on Bradman.

O'Reilly was unimpressed. "You'd swear I was an opal miner. I was going down and down and down and he stepped into that and was off. And the crowd that came out to cart him off, you'd swear it was an aeroplane disaster. We didn't see him again on the tour. We waved him goodbye as he left the field, never laid eyes on him again until we got on the ship to go home." - after Bradman fractured his ankle in O’Reilly’s footmark.