• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Tennis - Season I

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Nah. He replaces Micic and plays Brookes. Harmel gets the bye, but he - like the other seeds 2-8 - only gets first round points if he loses to Juraev/Kennedy.
Plus Páez gets slapped with a fine for withdrawing too late. :p

Suppose it's better than people getting walkovers, but still a strange system. (Yes, I know it's the same irl.)

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Plus Páez gets slapped with a fine for withdrawing too late. :p

Suppose it's better than people getting walkovers, but still a strange system. (Yes, I know it's the same irl.)
Actually, that's a question. I haven't had to factor it in yet because nobody has a full eighteen tournaments with points in each, but what is the ruling on Masters events counting. I know Monte Carlo is optional now whilst the rest (I think) are mandatory, but if you miss through injury does it count as one of your eighteen? I've read conflicting things.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Actually, that's a question. I haven't had to factor it in yet because nobody has a full eighteen tournaments with points in each, but what is the ruling on Masters events counting. I know Monte Carlo is optional now whilst the rest (I think) are mandatory, but if you miss through injury does it count as one of your eighteen? I've read conflicting things.
Looks like they count. Ančić still carries seven zeroes despite being out with mono.

For other tournaments, it depends on when you withdraw. I know Murray counts a zero from Indianapolis because he withdrew late.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
It is probably a bit too hard to do late withdrawals with this considering I only calculate injuries at the end of the week, but wow Rick Henson gets a bit ****ed over.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I'm keen to get a wildcard in the doubles too being a Top 50 player in the world and all.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Clowich Masters
Monday - Clowich Masters - Clowich (CWLand)

Men's Singles (Seeds - Finals - Section 1 - Section 2 - Section 3 - Section 4)
Men's Doubles (Finals - Top Half - Bottom Half)

• World No. 31 Jojo Mustard has advanced to the second round of the Clowich Masters despite an unconvincing performance in front of his home crowd. The Indianapolis finalist was expected to take a comfortable victory against Australian qualifier Adam Murray, but a brief lapse in concentration in the second set saw him pushed deep into a deciding set. But the Garvan Island crowd did their best to push Mustard over the line, and he obliged by wrapping up the match 6-4, 3-6, 7-5.
  • In the most convincing victory over the day from local players, Randy Smeltz upstaged Mustard's Montréal conqueror Jason Bradley in a straight sets demolition. Sending out a dire warning to second round opponent Juan Moreno, Smeltz ensured the feature match on Centre Court would be a one-sided affair as he ran past the American in less than an hour with one of his best hard court performances yet; winning 6-1, 6-3.
  • Jamee Hancianu has made a habit of crushing lowler ranked opposition this season, but found himself involved in one of the most bizzare matches of the season on the Grandstand Stadium. His three-set affair with Ion Andueza lasted less than ninety minutes and, despite dropping the second set 1-6, Hancianu walked out a crushing victor. Taking the first set 6-0, Hancianu took the foot off the pedal and paid for it dearly as Andueza shot out to a 4-0 lead. Whilst he managed to take a consolation game, the world No. 30 conceeded the set and focussed his energies on the third. There he was magic as he ran away with a 6-0, 1-6, 6-0 victory to fill him with some confidence ahead of his second match in as many weeks with Wimbledon champion Darcy Cowan.
  • Roy Daniels' return to the circuit following a knee injury started slowly as he was smashed in straight sets by Croatian tenth seed Miroslav Brdar. In a meek display, Daniels struggled to shrug off the cobwebs despite three weeks in full training as the well-oiled Croatian machine romped to a 6-2, 6-1 victory. Daniels will have the doubles draw with Randy Smeltz and next week's tournament in Pickford to attempt to arrest his lack of match practice.
  • Finally, Heath Davis was unable to take advantage of his opportunities in his first round match as he fell to Aussie David Champion in straight sets. In the first match to be played on the Clowich Centre Court, both men struggled under the tense conditions of the opening set. From 4-4 to 6-6, neither man managed to hold service, but it was Champion who got the jump on Davis in the decider as a mini break propelled him to a 3-0 lead. Taking the first 7-6, Champion grew in confidence and found the lines more often than Davis in an ultra-attacking 7-6(4), 6-2 win. Champion now faces fourth seed Radek Špidlá who he has had troubles with in the past.
  • In the only real upset of the day, ninth seed Illya Altman met his end for the second time in as many weeks against Diego Hurtado as the Colombian dynamo kept up his good record against the Ukrainian. Altman was outgunned by the searing forehand of Hurtado who continued his good recent form with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 victory. In the match of the day, Switzerland's Almen Benaglio came from a set down to avoid a second first round exit in as many weeks and to defeat Becker Haas of Germany 5-7, 7-6(5), 6-2. Finally, sixteenth seed Zoltán Varga also came from a set down to defeat embattled Chinese superstar Zhijun Sun 2-6, 6-1, 7-5.

• Seeded players out: Illya Altman.
  • The three doubles matches played produced few surprises and few blockbusters as all three petered out to straight sets results. Artem Krohmal and Merab Shvelidze sounded out a warning to Montréal champions Jefferson Drake and Martti Korpinen as they destroyed Dênis Rodrigues and Roberto Santos 6-0, 6-3. Brothers Kim and Tom Vollan failed to recover from a sluggish start in their first round loss to Manfried Manz and Walter Schiller as they fell to a 1-6, 5-7 loss.

• Seeded players out: None.
In San Marino, fourth seed Jarkko Maxum begins his tournament with a first round clash with world No. 258 Jason Schmidt; Scotland Rivers faces Marco Pellegrini; and Suryakant Singh unluckily draws seventh seed José Navarro. Other appearances are made by Valter Cordiero, Oliver Engel, Jean-Christophe Genghini and Gunther Heug in the prestigious Tretorn Serie+ Challenger.

In the doubles, Maxum and Rivers face French pair Christian Auvray and Agustin Morjuet, whilst Singh teams with Engel to face third seeded Serbs Dusko Milosevic and Savo Petkoviä.

Tuesday Schedule

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't win a pissing contest at the moment. Might have to think about going to another Challenger tournament to get the confidence up again. It worked well for me last time...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mustard really knows how to give his opposition a chance against him. He'll need to show a lot of improvement over the next few weeks.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hey has the CW Open replaced the US Open? I just notice on the 'player in focus profiles' it only has a space for 4 Grand Slams.