• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Tennis - Season I

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yay!

Murdoch should be easier than this marathon, but it was a grinding comeback and he's probably going to go in a bit fitter. Guess it's time to make him run.

Drake/Korpinen probably at lower odds to take the first CW slam though.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's still a significant rise, although I was hoping for higher for my talented pupil. Will be good to be ranked that high going into the grass season, and hopefully a seeding at Wimbledon.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Thursday, June 04, I
FRENCH OPEN I: Men's Semifinals Preview
The Season I French Open Men's Semifinals have now been set.

Jason Hall (1) USA Sven Oxenstierna (8) CWL v Dwayne Murdoch USA (28). After Dwayne Murdoch put away Jojo Mustard in four sets yesterday, American pundits were already putting the finishing touches to articles hyping the all-American semifinal. Unfortunately for such pundits, Jason Hall was unable to prevail in his epic five-set showdown with Sven Oxenstierna to all but hand Blanco the world number one ranking. Oxenstierna was in awesome touch against Hall, who himself was in red-hot form after his straight sets mauling of Henry Charles earlier in the week. I mentioned in the my quarterfinals predictions that Oxenstierna was my pick to make the finals, and I wish I had stuck with him after seemed to finally throw the monkey off his back and not choke in a final. Meanwhile, Murdoch has already gone one step further than his showing in Melbourne and continues to prop up his ranking with big points at the Grand Slams. Outside of that, he's been pretty horrid in the international series events outside of a win in Sydney back in January, and had shown little to suggest that he'd put in the fortnight he has. Despite that, he's proven to be a tough man to beat throughout the tournament and will endeavour to make up for early-ish exits in Rome, Madrid and Monte Carlo. Despite Carter's recent form, and Oxenstierna's tendancy to choke in the semis (still yet to make a tournament final), I can't see the 28th seed stopping the fit-and-firing Oxenstierna who should set up an appetising finals match. PREDICTION: Oxenstierna in 4 sets.

Radivoj Daneu SRB (3) Juan Moreno ARG (11) v Daniel Páez Blanco ESP (2). In their last meeting in the final of the Madrid Masters Series event, Blanco had little trouble in taking the match in straight sets despite a scrappy opener. Since then, Moreno has arguably come through the toughest draw possible, culminating in his win over world number three Radivoj Daneu in a five-set showdown. Admittedly, I thought Daneu would have too much about him to be really troubled by the Argie, but Moreno continues to surprise by taking the win. That being said, the performance that Blanco put on earlier in the day against Oneil Stewart was scary. This is the same guy who beat the likes of József Boros, Almen Benaglio and Rasmus Olesen in five sets, and then got SMASHED by Blanco in straight sets. We've come to expect Blanco to bring his 'A' game, and the big stage shouldn't worry him. That being said, Moreno is a tough opponent and will hopefully produce more resistance than Stewart did. If he's going to have a chance of winning, he needs to learn from the quarterfinal match and come out attacking, because you can't 'out-defend' Blanco. For the record, the Spaniard should be too good and will claim the number one crowd as a result of it. PREDICTION: Blanco in 4 sets.

Posted by Mad Professah at 7/04/I 01:21:00 AM

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
TS+ Turin; TS+ Scheveningen (R32) - June 1-8, Season I

4 June, I

Sporting Challenger I
Round of 16 - Turin

Draw

Jamee Hancianu has continued his charge towards redeeming himself somewhat after an early French Open exit after crushing Frenchman Bertran Renard in the second round of the Sporting Challenger in Turin. Despite only claiming a disappointing 35 points in his second round loss in Paris, Hancianu has rebounded brilliantly to punish Aussie Harry Thompson and now Renard. In a tight first start to the match, the 19-year old got the jump on Renard by breaking service in the seventh game thanks to a blistering backhand which left the Frenchman somewhat stunned. Starting there, Hancianu made it nine games on the trot as he raced to a 6-3, 6-0 win as Renard lacked the answers for the CWLand teenager's awesome clay court game. His opponent in the the quarterfinals will be seventh seeded local Michael De Kinsele, with a semifinal against an unseeded opponent beckoning for the winner. Elsewhere, second seed Morgan Carter overcame a fast-finishing qualifier to record his second straight sets win. The American, who exited both the singles and doubles draw in straight sets, has looked solid if unspectacular so far; and despite taking the first set convincingly, he was forced to play deep into the second set by Argentina's Miguel Bertolotto. Nevertheless, a flawless performance in the tiebreaker ensured Carter would advance to a quarterfinal clash with unseeded local Luca Rossi; the American sealing a 6-1, 7-6(0) win.

• Seeded players out: Zbiginiew Boniek; Jimmy Holland.

Siemens Open I
Round of 16 - Scheveningen

Draw

Top seed Danijel Micic has continued to take out his frustrations following a first round exit in Paris as he crushed CWLand qualifier Lawrence Trumper-Smith in straight sets. After cruising past local wildcard Mischa Pasveer in his first round match, Micic looked even better and even grumpier as he destroyed Trumper-Smith inside of an hour. The controversial CWLand figure has produced some decent tennis against lower ranked opposition this tournament, but found himself completely outmatched against the all-powerful Serb. The 6-0, 6-1 margain represented the gulf in class between the two players on the day; Trumper-Smith avoiding the double bagel in the penultimate game of the match. Micic now faces Croat Mario Timko who last week made the semifinals of the challenger in Alessandria, and will pose a bigger threat to Micic's run (which has seen him claim 24 out of 27 games thus far) after a solid start to his tournament. Meanwhile, second seed Maarten Berg overcame countryman Cameron van der Cleer in straight sets to set up an interesting quarterfinal against Chile's Jefferson Quezada.

• Seeded players out: Tu Haifeng; Sipko Wetzel.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
French Open (Day Eleven) - May 25- June 8 Season I

Roland Garros - Men's Singles
Day Eleven - Semifinals - Paris

Seeds
Finals
Draw - Section One
Draw - Section Two
Draw - Section Three
Draw - Section Four
Draw - Section Five
Draw - Section Six
Draw - Section Seven
Draw - Section Eight

Day eleven saw the first men's semifinal eventuate as new world number one Daniel Páez Blanco took a tough four-set win against Argentina's Juan Moreno. Needing a win to leapfrog Jason Hall to the number one position, Blanco started brightly as Moreno looked beyond overawed by the big stage. In just twenty-eight minutes, the powerful Spaniard took the first set 6-1 and looked on the verge of making the second men's semifinal an absolute fizzer. But the tall Argentine finally found his feet as he was able to match it with the dominant 28-year old; Moreno surging ahead 4-2 after a much-needed break of the Blanco service. But he's lead was very brief as Blanco fought back to level the match at 4-4 and ensure that the set would meander to a tiebreaker. But Blanco again got the jump on the Argentinian as he brought up four set points with a 6-2 lead. And whilst Moreno managed to save two of the set points (including one on Blanco's service), he was unable to claw his way back into the tiebreaker as the mountain he was left to climb got even bigger as he stared down the barrell of a straight sets defeat. The in-form Moreno had survived a difficult passage to the semifinals and was not going to suffer that indignity as he threw caution to the wind by coming up to the net more often to throw Blanco off his game. Whilst it did little to trouble Blanco on his serve, Moreno at very least ensured the match would go deep into the third and with the scores level at 5-5, the eleventh seed got the cruicial break of service. Serving for the set, the Argentine gave himself a sniff of victory as he took the third 7-5. The fourth set was just as hard-fought as the third, but this time it was Blanco who finally managed to convert one of six break points to clinch a 6-1, 7-6(4), 5-7, 7-5 victory.

• Seeded players out: Juan Moreno.

Roland Garros - Men's Doubles
Day Eleven - Semifinals - Paris

Seeds
Finals
Draw - Section One
Draw - Section Two
Draw - Section Three
Draw - Section Four

In the most epic doubles match of the tournament, unseeded Israeli pair Tal Cohen and Raz Teper continued their dramatic march into the men's doubles final after a three-set marathon against eighth seeds Hayden and Ross Onwye. The Israeli duo came into the match as underdogs despite their massive victory over Sandro Bachunelli and Hicham Hadir in the quarterfinals, and looked keen to put their doubters in their place. After all four men held service in a solid start, it was the younger of the Onwye Brothers, Hayden, who wilted first as Cohen and Teper combined brilliantly to force the break of service. They almost broke again in the next game from the Moroccan pair, but Ross kept their chances alive by coming back from 15-40. Despite that blip on the radar, Cohen closed out the opening set as Teper put away an overhead smash. But after the break, the Moroccan brothers came out firing as they stormed to a 4-0 lead en route to levelling the scores at one set apiece. But just as the Israelis looked done when down 0-2 in the decider, they managed to drag themselves back into the match with a scrappy break of service. They would again pull ahead 6-5 thanks to a lovely bit of net play from Cohen, but were unable to close out the set as the third set just began to unfold. In over an hour of brutal tennis, the Israeli duo finally gave themselves another chance to seal the match on service; this time succeeding in bringing up an inspiring 6-4, 2-6, 13-11 upset. Their opponents in the final will be decided tomorrow as eleventh seeds Hugh James and Ralph Robinson face off against surprise packet Jefferson Drake and Martti Korpinen of CWLand.

• Seeded players out: Hayden Onwye / Ross Onwye.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
TS+ Turin; TS+ Scheveningen (Quarterfinals) - June 1-8, Season I

5 June, I

Sporting Challenger I
Quarterfinals - Turin

Draw

CWLand top seed Jamee Hancianu continued his march into tomorrow's quarterfinals of the Sporting Challenger in Turin after completing a straight sets win over local prospect Michael De Kinsele. Hancianu has yet to drop a yet this tournament, and ensured that would continue as he romped home within an hour and a half. De Kinsele showed flashes of the form that helped him to a 6-1, 6-0 win over Ilya Nesterov in the second round, but ultimately was unable to resist the solid clay game of the teenager from CWLand as Hancianu secured a 6-3, 6-2. With Hancianu facing Frenchman Christopher Durand, and second seed Morgan Carter facing Italian Guilliano Soave in the semifinals, the tournament looks to be headed to an inevitable showdown between the two top seeds.

• Seeded players out: Kasper Buur; Michael De Kinsele.

Siemens Open I
Quarterfinals - Scheveningen

Draw

In Scheveningen, favourite Danijel Micic has survived a rude awakening to escape with a three-set win over Croat Mario Timko. After dropping just three games in his opening two matches, Micic came into the match full of confidence. But serving to stay in the first set, the Serb suffered a momentary lapse of concentration as he missed a couple of makeable shots to hand the underdog the lead. But the volatile Micic stormed back into the match with a mix of class and determination to wrest the next two sets from the valiant Timko; prevailing 4-6, 6-4, 6-3. His opponent in the semifinals will be third seed Eric Henson who has not shown his true potential this season. Elsewhere, second seed Maarten Berg's unconvincing form continued as he was pushed to three sets by Chile's Jefferson Quezada. Berg will be forced to lift his game in the semifinals after opponent Ivan Vuka crushed world number 102 Bogdan Maurer in straight sets (6-3, 6-4) to continue his superb run of form.

• Seeded players out: Bogdan Maurer.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
French Open (Day Twelve) - May 25- June 8 Season I

Roland Garros - Men's Singles
Day Twelve - Semifinals - Paris

Seeds
Finals
Draw - Section One
Draw - Section Two
Draw - Section Three
Draw - Section Four
Draw - Section Five
Draw - Section Six
Draw - Section Seven
Draw - Section Eight

CWLand's Sven Oxenstierna made history overnight by becoming the first player from the newly formed nation to make it to a Grand Slam final as he defeated 28th seed Dwayne Murdoch in the first men's semifinal. In what will be his first ever career final, The Ox will head in with a wealth of match practice and confidence for what will be the most difficult match of his career against new world number one Daniel Páez Blanco. The American Murdoch causes trouble for a nervous Oxenstierna early as he brought up a break point in the very first game, but the CWLander quickly put those semifinal demons behind him to hang on to his serve to start the match. In a set where both men tested the waters somewhat with what can only be described as hesitant play, it was Oxenstierna who broke the deadlock in what would be the final game of the set as he mixed it up a touch to break with a perfectly placed drop shot. The dream of the CWLander looked even closer to coming true as he shot to a 3-1 lead early in the second set as the hard-working Murdoch threw away a 30-0 lead with three disappointing unforced errors. The break was all that Oxenstierna needed; and although he was broken whilst serving for the set, Murdoch looked just as disappointing on his own service as the Ox surged to a two sets to love lead. In a tight third set, Murdoch managed to prevail against all odds on just his first break point - Oxenstierna left ruing missed opportunities as he handed his opponent passage back into the match after a missed volley. Things looked worse as the American grew in composure and confidence; blowing the CWLander off the court with a booming forehand to take a 3-1 lead. But the CWLander fought back valiently and comprehensively threw the semifinal monkey off his back to seal a momentous 7-5, 6-4, 2-6, 7-6(1) win. Regardless of the result of the final, the win is also momentous for CWLand as it gives them their first entrant into the world's top five.

• Seeded players out: Dwayne Murdoch.

Roland Garros - Men's Doubles
Day Twelve - Semifinals - Paris

Seeds
Finals
Draw - Section One
Draw - Section Two
Draw - Section Three
Draw - Section Four

Martti Korpinen and Jefferson Drake won't be joining Oxenstierna in a Grand Slam final as they were bundled out in a disappointing straight sets loss to fourteenth seeds Hugh James and Ralph Robinson. Whilst the American duo worked brilliantly together right throughout the match, Drake and Korpinen visibly struggled from a lack of experience as a team. The first such example came in the fourth game of the match as a communication blunder between the pair cost them the early break as James and Robinson shot to a 3-1 lead. Whilst the fourteenth seeds wouldn't break again in the set, they at least created chances in contrast to the lacklustre returning from the CWLand pairing. After dropping the first set 3-6, world top twenty player Drake came out firing in the second set as he served down three consecutive aces to ensure the unseeded duo would hold service to start with. But whilst they looked more comfortable as the match wore on, Drake and Korpinen lacked the fire and the skill they exhibited in their quarterfinal win over Mark Harmel and Yves Parmentier. The break of Korpinen's service was evidence of this; the fourteenth seeds advancing to a final against Israel's Tal Cohen and Raz Teper with a comprehensive 6-3, 6-3 win.

• Seeded players out: None.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Before other results go up, would like to gauge a reaction on how the doubles tournament went. I quite liked it, but was wondering if others thought it was worth continuing?

Johnners

Would defeintely like to see doubles continue, even if only in Grand Slam events :)

Awesome work from the Ox! A title beckons!

HeathDavisSpeed

Before other results go up, would like to gauge a reaction on how the doubles tournament went. I quite liked it, but was wondering if others thought it was worth continuing?
It was **** as I didn't win.

But seriously, any content is good content to my mind. Probably just save it for the Grand Slams and if there are any important doubles tournaments, maybe? And the Heef Davis Cup of course.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
TS+ Turin; TS+ Scheveningen (Semifinals) - June 1-8, Season I

Yeah I'm keen to run them in Masters Series events. Will do it with a view to expand later on.

6 June, I

Sporting Challenger I
Semifinals - Turin

Draw

As expected, top two seeds Jamee Hancianu and Morgan Carter will face off in an attempt to atone for a disappointing French Open in tomorrow's Sporting Challenger final in Turin. Despite having a fairly breezy run through the tournament, Hancianu was very much troubled by Frenchman Christophe Durand - a man ranked some 150 places below the CWLand teenager. Despite the impressive performance from Durand, Hancianu was still able to scrape through in straight sets 7-5, 7-6(4); the CWLander will no doubt be pleased with his maturity in tough situations. Meanwhile, Carter got better as the match went on against Italian Guilliano Soave. Still reeling from a devastating double first round exit in Paris, Carter produced his best tennis in the second set as he sealed a 7-5, 6-2 win. Both players enter the final without losing a set; a statistic which will obviously change on Sunday.

• Seeded players out: None.

Siemens Open I
Semifinals - Scheveningen

Draw

Meanwhile, two boilovers occured on a dramatic Saturday in Scheveningen as top seed Danijel Micic and second seed Maarten Berg fell in massive semifinal upsets. Top seed Micic showed signs of struggle in his quarterfinal match yesterday against Mario Timko, and those problems came to the fore against American third seed Eric Henson. Looking to return to the world's top fifty, Henson played some delightful tennis as he outmanouevred his more fancied opponent at several stages throughout the match. In probably the best match of the tournament, the American pulled off a dramatic 7-6(8), 3-6, 6-4 win to advance to his first final of the season. In the other semifinal, an even bigger upset occured as world number 211 Ivan Vuka upstaged local hope Maarten Berg in straight sets. The world number 40 qualified for the semifinals on the back of some very lacklustre performances, and was made to pay for it by a red-hot Vuka. The energetic Croat snaffled his third victory against seeded opposition (after crushing wins of Fok Zhenyu and Bogdan Maurer) to set up his first final of the season 6-4, 6-3.

• Seeded players out: Maarten Berg; Danijel Micic.