• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Round Table #2 (With Audio)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good stuff, but as others have said, would be interesting with a varying amount of contributors.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Me on England: "They'll play by themselves and still be the second best team in the world." :p Suprised no one caught that yet.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Very good listening, again, Guys. SS and Goughy were more relaxed and sounded very self-assured.
Y'all will have to learn to sneeze and cough away from your mics, though.:laugh: :laugh: I got such a fright from the sneeze explosion I nearly fell off the chair! :laugh:
Goughy, your perspective of the South African issue is spot on, I wish people in high places who really care about our cricket could listen to this. Pratyush is right. Give more interested black youngsters access to top coaching, etc., but in the end selection should be on merit, and merit alone. Cricket loving Saffies don't give a damn what colour the skin is, just play outstanding cricket and kick Aussie..... er.. I mean...every one's butt. :laugh: :laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
LA ICE-E said:
kev is there a big issue with racism and segragation in SA i dont know alot about these issues did they really say they want all black team in the future? ....and how long have this quota been in place.....i think its races...you dont see quota system for white people here in usa in basketball where its now dominated by black people....its doesnt matter what race plays...they best only gets the chance.....but still think about it places like oman now oman nationals are breaking a part from their main organization because they demaned 6 oman nationals in the team over expariates....so would you want quota for the oman nationals? or would you want a team dominated by expariates like the usa who are not even born in the usa.....in fact i think there should be a quota for usa but at the same time not being racist, but making the quota like atleast 6 born in usa players(its not racist because any race born in usa) ...so all quotas doesnt have to be racist.....
Well I should probably address these posts.

Everything in SA is governed by politics and politics in SA means the ANC. The ANC is a very broad church with people with a wide variety of views. Unfortunately there are still powerful and influential people with far reaching and extreme opinions.

There are a number that want all SA teams like cricket to be all (or the vast majority of players) black no matter what the standard.
EDIT- There are no white quotas for soccer. Football teams here are probably 90% black and white players are being increasingly squeezed out of this as well.

Many initiatives, including quotas have not been designed to improve SA cricket, or even black cricket that much, but to get more black faces involved and playing no matter what the standard.

There is little in the way of common sense or long term thinking. More to do with political games and points scoring. It is also heavily linked to showing the white man who is boss now.

As Tarik mentioned, it is a heavily racist policy. It is not as if it is being done for good reasons either but predominantly a political and points scoring exercise.

As for quotas on expats etc. Ive said before that, in my opinion, if someone is a passport holder and citizen of a country then they should be able to represent it no matter where they were born. However, I am proud of countries like the Netherlands and Namibia that heavily rely on domestic born players. That should be the aim, and countries should try to achieve it. However, setting restrictions is a band-aid over the wound. The real issue should be to develop domestic talent rather than block foreign born players.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
LA ICE-E said:
oh one more question kev since South africans want even number of people from the segragations(black/white)...there's a quota for atleast 6 blacks each team but is it that atleast 6 white guys each team too? to make it fair.....but then if its only whites and blacks ....what about the asians?....so qoutas for races i think is worng unless its like every single race get equal qoutas, which is imposible...
The quotas are interesting in these areas.

No, there are no quotas or places reserved for whites. There is a minimum number of non-white places reserved (Black African, Asian, Coloured, Chinese) but, as an all non-white team is considered ideal to many, whites have no such protection.

As I mentioned in the Round Table, millions of rand have been spent on black African cricket development and there has been little reward for the investment.

Still the vast majority of non-white cricket talent comes from the areas with a long history of non-white cricket. If you made an all non-white SA team it would be dominated by Coloureds from strong coloured cricket regions. There would be few (maybe 2) Black Africans in the team despite fortunes been poured into development.

Due to this, there have been discussions to make quotas purely for Black African cricketers. In future, it has been thought, that Coloureds and Asians will have their prefered status taken off them and put in the same category as whites.

Again, pointless. Its a lowering of standards and moving further away form merit.

A sorry situation really as its helping noone.

adharcric

International Coach
I only have one word to describe the quota system in South Africa: pathetic. Disgraceful rather.
Thank you for enlightening us, Kev. :)

archie mac

International Coach
Great stuff, I really enjoyed it:)

Learned how to pronounce Pratyush, I did have a little trouble with his accent, but managed to get the jist of what he said, made some very good points.

Just some ideas from the Mac

I think we should have at least one of the panel carry over to the next topic. So we have SS as host, and one of the three panel members from the second segment carries over to the third discussion, and so on. I think this will give it a bit of flow and continuous.

Would like to see it weekly, but only one topic each week

I would much prefer interjections so we have more of a conversation feel, with SS taking charge if things get out of hand, and saying thinks like 'okay will let so and so make his point'

Also announce the topic a week in advance to give the panel plenty of time to get their thoughts together

adharcric

International Coach
Agree with most of Sean's sentiments. The topic(s) should be released to the panelists at least a day or two in advance so we have quality responses.
I would prefer multiple topics and a bi-weekly schedule just to prevent overkill. SS you need to take charge just a little more.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The panelists tried it both ways and the consensus was that surprise questions were better overall. Otherwise people got caught up in stats and got too detailed...they like the feel of the surprise questions a bit more too.

Its still early so we'll try a bit of both, but thats what the panelists said. They preferred not knowing.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
The panelists tried it both ways and the consensus was that surprise questions were better overall. Otherwise people got caught up in stats and got too detailed...they like the feel of the surprise questions a bit more too.

Its still early so we'll try a bit of both, but thats what the panelists said. They preferred not knowing.
I think maybe telling them a few minutes beforehand so they can think about it a bit would be best. Too much preperation leads to pre-prepared statements, which is no fun really. One of the interesting things about the audio discussions is that they are a bit less prepared than the forum debates.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think maybe telling them a few minutes beforehand so they can think about it a bit would be best. Too much preperation leads to pre-prepared statements, which is no fun really. One of the interesting things about the audio discussions is that they are a bit less prepared than the forum debates.
Yup, that worked best. Enough time to gather your thoughts.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Thanks for the feedback every one.

Great stuff, I really enjoyed it:)

Learned how to pronounce Pratyush, I did have a little trouble with his accent, but managed to get the jist of what he said, made some very good points.
Thanks Archie. It was my first time doing such a thing and I thought I was not as relaxed which meant my voice over all wasn't optimum. :)