• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides....Rules for Entry to Test Status

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was meaning of recent times TBH. I'm sure there were one or two more cases if you go back into the 1970s and 1980s. Again, though, I'm not familiar enough with county staffs back then to know for certain.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Was meaning of recent times TBH. I'm sure there were one or two more cases if you go back into the 1970s and 1980s. Again, though, I'm not familiar enough with county staffs back then to know for certain.
I don't think it's holding it up at all TBH. There are negligable numbers of cricketers who've come from Associate countries and made it big in their adopted homelands. ten Doeschate's the only one who comes immediately to mind.
Off the top of my head (mainly 80s and 90s guys)

Ole Mortensen (Denmark)- Brillant seam bowler that more people should know about
Roland Lefebvre (Netherands)- Quaity OD bowler and a legend in Wales
Trevor Penney (Zim)- Long successful County career and one of the best fielders in the game.
Kevin Curran (Zim)- A longtime county stalwart with an impressive record
Amjad Khan (Denmark)- Selected for England A

If you want to go a long way back then there is the legend that is Bart King :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Completely forgot Penney's Zimbabwean TBH. And had forgotten Curran. Don't know why I forgot Lefebvre though - a fine bowler.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Completely forgot Penney's Zimbabwean TBH. And had forgotten Curran. Don't know why I forgot Lefebvre though - a fine bowler.
Big Ole was the best of the bunch I named.

Could also add the massive and lightning quick Andre Van Troost who was as fast as anything around in the early/mid 90s and nearly killed Jimmy Adams

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I did remember van Troost, but even though he hit Adams I hardly think he had what I'd call a "successful" career.

Nope, 'fraid I've never heard of Ole Mortensen until now - please tell me more.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nope, 'fraid I've never heard of Ole Mortensen until now - please tell me more.
Serious?

If you are then here it is.

Mortensen was a tall RFM bowler. Rarely gave anything away and even though I only saw him bowl towads the end of his career he was still quality.

He played for Derbyshire from 83-94 taking 434 wkts at 23.88 in FC and 219 wkts at 25.56 in List A, econ 3.38.

Maybe more amazingly he averaged 10 a wicket in ICC Trophy games.

Imagine the closest thing Denmark will ever produce to McGrath with a big 'tache.

Quality performer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WoW. Was he debarred from playing for England? If not, it seems to beggar belief that he never did.

The_Bunny

State Regular
1: Must have at least 5 batsmen capable of hitting a six ;)

2: Must have at least 4 bowlers that are capablke of bowling at 130 kph.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
WoW. Was he debarred from playing for England? If not, it seems to beggar belief that he never did.
Well I cant say for sure but there would have been a number of obstacles. Firstly a 7 year (or possibly 10 yr) qualification period which would have ruled him out until close to the end of his career and also I doubt English cricket was ready to play a guy from Denmark even if he was available.

Things have changed a lot in 20 years and at the time the fashion was for Saffies and West Indians not a guy from the frozen North.

BTW, I forgot to also mention the brilliantly nicknamed 'Nip' Bakker. He was a good servant for Hampshire in the late 80s/early90s

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I cant say for sure but there would have been a number of obstacles. Firstly a 7 year (or possibly 10 yr) qualification period which would have ruled him out until close to the end of his career and also I doubt English cricket was ready to play a guy from Denmark even if he was available.

Things have changed a lot in 20 years and at the time the fashion was for Saffies and West Indians not a guy from the frozen North.
Yeah true. Yeah - 7-10 years! :blink: Forgot it was that long TBH, I recall Jeff Cook having to live here for 7 years before being qualified for Northants.
BTW, I forgot to also mention the brilliantly nicknamed 'Nip' Bakker. He was a good servant for Hampshire in the late 80s/early90s
:laugh: That's awesome!

Matt79

Global Moderator
I don't think it's holding it up at all TBH. There are negligable numbers of cricketers who've come from Associate countries and made it big in their adopted homelands. ten Doeschate's the only one who comes immediately to mind.
Despite the extra names thrown up, this post remains essentially true. Over 20 years of cricket, we've managed to come up with about 12 players from non-test nations who made it big in a test nation. And all of those have "made it" in FC - whether they'd make the step up to international is probably quite questionable - more so in some cases than others. And a few of those players were from Zimbabwe, which merited Test status for a period of time before politics destroyed cricket there.

My point is that its not like there's a flood of talent being unfairly denied the chance to play Test cricket. There are a few isolated examples, and compromising Test cricket to accomodate them would be foolhardy. Unfortunately for those affected, there has to be the talent there BEFORE you allow another country in.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently Zimbabwe's Test Status will be one of the things up for review come 2008 according to this article on the ICC which led me to dig up this old thread

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Until their support of the buggers who are keeping them in the fold becomes useless to them (the buggers I mean):)

Craig

World Traveller
Because I don't see it being possible to truly like a sport and then also like something that completely rubbishes everything that makes that sport any good.
Pull your head in. I like ODIs and have been following the game for like 11 years, and if you tell me I'm not a cricket lover, then your a goose.

Not worthless but, through no fault of his own, unable to be considered in the same class as anyone who actually played Test cricket. And would he actually even get a game with any team that deserves Test status?
Initally I thought South Africa, I doubt he would be any worse then the likes of Justin Ontong who have played for them or whoever else (maybe Amla the Kiwi-basher?). But then I have no idea how he went when he played there.