• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides....Rules for Entry to Test Status

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not worthless but, through no fault of his own, unable to be considered in the same class as anyone who actually played Test cricket. And would he actually even get a game with any team that deserves Test status?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not worthless but, through no fault of his own, unable to be considered in the same class as anyone who actually played Test cricket. And would he actually even get a game with any team that deserves Test status?
Bangladesh, easily, although I suppose you could say they don't deserve Test status. At the moment, he wouldn't, as his bowling isn't good enough. He's going pretty well in County Cricket though, averages in the mid-40's for Essex, so he he does have a future ahead of him as a county pro, although whether he'll ever be Test class is very unlikely.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bangladesh, easily, although I suppose you could say they don't deserve Test status. At the moment, he wouldn't, as his bowling isn't good enough. He's going pretty well in County Cricket though, averages in the mid-40's for Essex, so he he does have a future ahead of him as a county pro, although whether he'll ever be Test class is very unlikely.
Precisely. Bangladesh only deserve Test status at the moment on potential.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH I don't see his bowling as ever being good enough. He's a poor man's Watson (is it a coincidence that Gelman et al are fans of both... :ph34r:). He'd do best to just bat and bat as best he can IMO.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBH I don't see his bowling as ever being good enough. He's a poor man's Watson (is it a coincidence that Gelman et al are fans of both... :ph34r:). He'd do best to just bat and bat as best he can IMO.
Neither do I, but it demolishes the other Associate nations whenever he plays for the Nethlerlands. Also, FTR I'm a RTD fan but not a Watson fan. Make what you want of that :p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yup, RTD impress me more through his performances in FC cricket more than any ODIs.

Though it's a bit sad that guys like Tikolo (who was quite good and probably good enough to contest for a spot in at least one of Test sides in his prime) didn't get more opportunities to play FC cricket.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly is. Crying shame in fact.

Guess I$C$C are more to blame than anyone, but the old KCA certainly must take some (not that there was much interest in cricket from many working there).

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Which brings the question why does someone in order to play test cricket (the only worthwile version of the game) have to be a citizen of a select group of countries?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They don't, any more.

One can qualify via residence if one has talent and desire to play Test cricket, and this is quite right.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
So one has to effectively leave one's home country and swear alliegiance to another to play test cricket?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes. For me, the stigma attached to that is too overbearing. People move around inside a country ATT to improve their chances of doing this and that: better-paid job, better accomodation, better cricket, whatever.

I feel people throw the "turning your back on your country" crap around too often when you leave. No more than one is turning his or her back on their city when they move elsewhere.

Personally, I'm a "happy at home" type. I've lived in 3 different cities, moved house 7 times, gone to 6 different schools... and pretty much every change has been a real wrench, I've hated it. But some people are different, and if they want to move around to get the best they can out of something - anything - why shouldn't they?

Matt79

Global Moderator
So one has to effectively leave one's home country and swear alliegiance to another to play test cricket?
Well Test cricket is by definition a contest between national cricket teams. The only solution within that framework to the problem you're raising is a) make every country that has any level of cricket participation a test nation, which would be utterly unworkable and make a mockery of the thing, or b) remove any restrictions on movements of players from one country to another, which would destroy the basis of competition between teams.

Is there an alternative I'm not thinking of here?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Test cricket is by definition a contest between national cricket teams. The only solution within that framework to the problem you're raising is a) make every country that has any level of cricket participation a test nation, which would be utterly unworkable and make a mockery of the thing, or b) remove any restrictions on movements of players from one country to another, which would destroy the basis of competition between teams.

Is there an alternative I'm not thinking of here?
Not that I can think of but yes this does seem to be the vicious cycle that seems to be holding up cricket as a global sport

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think it's holding it up at all TBH. There are negligable numbers of cricketers who've come from Associate countries and made it big in their adopted homelands. ten Doeschate's the only one who comes immediately to mind.