• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides....Rules for Entry to Test Status

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
By common consent isolation of China has\will have a disastrous global effect, which like it or not (and I'm sure most don't) has to impact on how they're treated. Zimbabwe do not have this caveat, and obviously if the situation of govornment\political environment makes it impossible for anything in the country (cricket included) to grow, there's no point wasting anything (money or unwarranted international status) on them.
8-) 8-)

Matt79

Global Moderator
That implies anyone in government know the sport exists in the first place.
Lots of good points made in this thread, but for me this touches upon the big one that hasn't been mentioned yet as far as I can see - Cricket must be one of the two or three major sports in a country before they should be admitted into Test cricket. It must be something a large proportion of the population care about. It must be something that decent size crowds will want to attend, that sponsors will want to support, and that as a result, governments will care enough to be supportive of. Otherwise, its all just academic.

Now getting to that point may involve many of the preconditions already mentioned occuring, but IMO its foolish to think that granting test status will make these things happen. That's rather like a someone in a relationship saying that once you get married, then your partner will start respecting you and stop cheating - ie. if your current situation is so poor its unbearable, its foolish to think that making some dramatic symbolic change will alter that situation. First you need to fix the existing problems.

stumpski

International Captain
Sri Lanka , for example, made several tours to India, England etc before they got a test status.

Below is the schedule of their 1975 tour to India.

Sri Lanka in India, 1975-76
  1. Central Zone v Sri Lanka at Kanpur, 31 Oct - 2 Nov 1975
  2. North Zone v Sri Lanka at New Delhi, 4-6 Nov 1975
  3. Unofficial Test: India v Sri Lanka at Hyderabad, 8-11 Nov 1975
  4. West Zone v Sri Lanka at Bombay, 14-16 Nov 1975
  5. Unofficial Test: India v Sri Lanka at Ahmedabad, 18-21 Nov 1975
  6. East Zone v Sri Lanka at Calcutta, 23-25 Nov 1975
  7. Unofficial Test: India v Sri Lanka at Nagpur, 28 Nov - 1 Dec 1975
  8. Combined Universities v Sri Lanka at Bangalore, 5-7 Dec 1975
  9. South Zone v Sri Lanka at Madras, 9-10 Dec 1975

I remember the three unofficial tests they played against India. They lost 2-0 but were far from disgraced. They drew against four of the five zonal side (each zonal side is made up of players from 4-5 first class sides) and lost only to SouthZone in a low scoring match.

The side had Dilip Mendis and Roy Dias who were superb batsmen and in DS D'Silva and Opatha they had world class bowlers. It was another seven years before they played an official test match.
Something of an oddity ... Sri Lanka played East Africa at Taunton in 1975, straight after the World Cup.

http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/35/35269.html

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why not? Ideally, that way at least the shorter formats serve a purpose. If they don't become competitive after a certain period of time, you can take it away of course.
Because to some people ODIs serve a purpose that is not related to Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why does one's attitudes to ODIs have to have any impact on one's attitudes to Tests?

IMO they're best enjoyed if you realise the many differences that exist between the two, and don't try and blur them together in any way.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Because I don't see it being possible to truly like a sport and then also like something that completely rubbishes everything that makes that sport any good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It doesn't, though. ODIs are not anti-Tests. I am baffled that one can love one and hate the other.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... Twenty20s aren't... quite (:p)... anti-ODIs.

The reasons I dislike Twenty20s are many and complex.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yuo do realise by hating ODIs you hate the only path to fame for most cricketers around the world :cry: