• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing words and phrases that we don't understand and don't like

Bijed

International Regular
Reckon the discussion going on in the Aus v SA thread deserves it's own thread.

From said thread:

I also dislike 'decked' and 'deck' for seam movement. 'Moved' or 'seamed' or 'cut' (for that rare time that someone actually bowls a cutter) are all better terms.
Need more widespread use of the term 'nip-backer' imo :ph34r:

Cricket thesaurus:
Hit well: tonked, carted, creamed, middled, bludgeoned, biffed, blatted,
Couple more

Also 'the full pint' when someone gets bowled?

Also don't be afraid if you really, really like a particular one too

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
"went straight with the arm". Just say ball went straight.

"held the nerves". Often retrospectively said for winning team.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"thinking cricketer" - generally used for guys like Stuart Binny, Rajat Bhatia, Robin Singh etc. who aren't particularly good at anything. A "thinking cricketer" generally bowls military medium pace and gets you a quick 20 down the order once in 10 attempts.

"street-smart batsman" - usually sucks against anything resembling quality bowling, but does a decent job filling a middle order slot. Bowls some ugly part-time spin as a bonus. Examples - Raina, Kedhar Jadhav etc.

Most Indian commentators are partial to these two.

Bijed

International Regular
Commentators often seem to describe as innings a 'Captain's knock' when the captain reaches a half-century, regardless of context. Save it for when they've really made a big impact.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"went straight with the arm". Just say ball went straight.
I don't think anyone knows what a proper arm ball actually is anymore.

I hear one SA commentator use that phrase to describe a dismissal off a fast bowler in the second test. Absolutely dire.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
''Maximum'' drives me up the wall
''...is pumped'' (Warner is a player who seems to be constantly, ''pumped'').
''Salmon'' (stupendously moronic).
''Michelle''
''Pill'
''Tonked'' (Graeme Swann is a fan of this).
''Cherry'' (Boycott uses this a lot so we cannot entirely blame the Australians).
''Nut''

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Although they do not annoy me so much as much as it is something I find curious whenever I watch channel 9's broadcasts. One thing is that every fielder becomes a ''bat pad''. A ''silly point'' is a bat pad. Warne calls every fielder a bat pad. ''Sundries'' also for extras! The score is the wrong way round which creates a fair amount of confusion when a team has lost a bunch of early wickets.

Starfighter

''Sundries'' also for extras!
Has always been the Australian term.

The score is the wrong way round which creates a fair amount of confusion when a team has lost a bunch of early wickets.
Put runs first in bowling analyses then I'll accept that it's the correct way to do it. Unless that happens we are correct and everyone else is wrong.

Need more widespread use of the term 'nip-backer' imo :ph34r:
FMD. I hate this one so much. It's such an unnatural phrase that you are obviously going out of your way to butcher the English language.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Put runs first in bowling analyses then I'll accept that it's the correct way to do it. Unless that happens we are correct and everyone else is wrong.
The argument I've come across for doing it the English way is that that it's consistent in terms of it's the good thing followed by the bad - i.e the team is trying to score runs/the bowler is trying to take wickets and it's cost them wickets/runs to do so. But admittedly I do remember being confused by it as a child so I won't say it's objectively better.

Starfighter

The argument I've come across for doing it the English way is that that it's consistent in terms of it's the good thing followed by the bad - i.e the team is trying to score runs/the bowler is trying to take wickets and it's cost them wickets/runs to do so. But admittedly I do remember being confused by it as a child so I won't say it's objectively better.
Wickets are good, runs are bad. This is indisputable fact.