• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricketing narratives that aren't true

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good point that the 90s is generally over rated on here, probably because it's the decade most posters here began watching.

With no sense of irony at all, those posters revere 90s players but like to say players from earlier eras get romanticized too much.

Those posters do that because they're imbeciles, btw.
Name and shame you weak ****

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here's my nomination, the guy who keeps calling a guy who hasn't existed for a quarter of a century the real AB over the true AB de Villiers

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Allan Border now advertises a circulation booster product. Guy clearly believes in witchcraft and hocus pocus now.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well what he said was there was a myth that we had bad players during the 90s, which is what caused the discussion,if he'd said what you said there would be no discussion. He did then make a lot of qualifications, but they seem to be all about how he jizzed his pants at 90s players, and that the ones who played a lot were good, I disagree fundamentally.

Possibly why I over-rate Blewett and Elliott is they averaged 48 and 55 against England, which rather proves my point, England weren't very good.

I'm not sure what we're arguing about here, I'll admit I was wrong about Blewett didn't remember he'd played so much. Years apart may have been wrong too, hey I admit it, but ya know having guys average 27 and and in the 30s when that is your entire batting line-up is a bit different then having a few of them, whilst the likes of Steve Waugh and others were much better. Ramps, Crawley, Hick, of course not all fit neatly into the 90s, but how many Test was all that. .

I don't actually deny they were decent sides posted, but for the vast majority of the times the sides were weak and yes did have bad cricketers in. Devon Malcolm would be a classic example of this, seemingly only remembered for one spell now, yet even with that 9-57 he played 40 matches at an average of 37 on more bowler friendly pitches than now, we've had players play less with a much better record over the last 15 years or so. He was Appallingly bad for much of his career.

The fact is all these aussies would have played a lot more if they were English IMHO.

lolll look at this muppet. yeah i totally jizzed my pants coz i wrote a few messages.

sorry for giving people too much credit i felt like it was obvious i didn't literally mean there was not one bad player in England, the cliche is that the whole nation stunk, Andrew could figure it out how come you couldn't? Zero english players from the mid 90s are held in high regard today and I just thought it was silly when you could probably get an XI that on their day definitely could compete. but that side never got onto the park because there was always some experiment being tried. Gough/Caddick/Fraser/Tufnell played together a stupidly small amount of times because of experiments with well, many of the other bowlers mentioned in this thread

like **** you for being so off the mark with your assessment of my opinion yet still having this attitude

Shady Slim

International Coach
the fact that "runs on the board" is actually a thing

you're just as likely to be useless and collapse not knowing the five-o on the pitch as you are to put on four hundred, here's looking at you chappell

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
scoreboard pressure is real but batting first just for the sake of "runs on the board" rather than "we feel we can set a big ol total' is shortsighted and dumb

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its just what you do when you are not sure though. Although I think T20 is making that thought process obsolete a bit even in ODIs.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That I agree with

@topic

You deserve to be given out lbw when you don't offer a shot, regardless of whether the ball was going on to hit the stumps. Another massively annoying piece of nonsense chappelli pushes.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That I agree with

@topic

You deserve to be given out lbw when you don't offer a shot, regardless of whether the ball was going on to hit the stumps. Another massively annoying piece of nonsense chappelli pushes.
Also when you play a bad shot, ie. across the line hoik/sweep shot

You don't "deserve to be given out" because you played a bad shot

Compton

International Debutant
That I agree with

@topic

Yeah that's nonsense logic.

You'll need to start giving out every edge that falls safe.