• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricketing implications of mugabegate

Shady Slim

International Coach
so movements are gonna be made to impeach mugabe if he doesn't resign in the next four hours of my posting this

cricket zimbabwe is in shambles and zimbabwe as a nation is too

so here's my question

are there any cricketing implications to mugabe's deposition? maybe teams would be more likely to tour given there's not a soul in the other cricket playing nations who likes mugabe?

(pls try to keep the political away as much as we can and only bring it up if necessary bc we've got the politics subforum for that)

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
No cricket implications whatsoever.... Have to talk politics... practically this is unlikely to change anything in Zim. It is basicly ZANU-PF infighting. Hope for the best that the new government has some thought for the people and will move in a positive direction. About all there is really. RE: regarding Mugabe, speaking to a few Zim people, they agree pretty much on what I have just said... but they don't care, they just want Bob gone... every side is sick of him.

Shady Slim

International Coach
so there's not much likelihood of this being reflective of a widespread anti corruption movement in zim? like you said the zimbabwean people rather than their cricket team are top priority... and hopefully it doesn't get better for them

but from what i understand hasn't mugabe's regime led a large anti-white-zimbabwean movement didn't it? so maybe a new regime without that could as a result have some positive implications for white cricketer retention on a national level?

SeamUp

International Coach
It seemed Zimbabwe cricket in recent months have been getting their act together to give themselves a better chance. New people in charge. But with the amount of times Zimbabwe Cricket was financially finished one wonders where the money has come from to put the tours for their u19 side , Taibu's talent programme in England and the like in place.

It will still be tough to keep white cricketers post Mugabe as he has basically killed the economy that economics probably beats national pride. The same goes for the talented black people too. Loads of Zimbabwean ex-pats in SA looking for better lives so whilst that may get less you wonder what they've lost already.

But through the years they've always had plenty of their talent schooled in KZN which you got to hope they can keep going forward. A few of their U19 WC team schooled in SA. That is another system that Zimbabwe has always been proud of and that is their school system so you hope they are still going strong.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
so there's not much likelihood of this being reflective of a widespread anti corruption movement in zim? like you said the zimbabwean people rather than their cricket team are top priority... and hopefully it doesn't get better for them

but from what i understand hasn't mugabe's regime led a large anti-white-zimbabwean movement didn't it?
so maybe a new regime without that could as a result have some positive implications for white cricketer retention on a national level?
Same regime....