• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing clangers.

Kirkut

International Regular
No one has mentioned this, but did anyone expect Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad to have such long careers and so many wickets?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No one has mentioned this, but did anyone expect Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad to have such long careers and so many wickets?
Yeah. Called Anderson in 2006 and Broad in 2009 on here. Thought it was a given tbh.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i stand with @cnerd123 in his take on pant still being a horrendous test batsman who can play brilliant innings when he fires, and both of his epic vigils over the last two tests don't do anything to disprove that.

there is a reason saha has become the preferred keeper in home tests (though long as pant's in a rich vein of form he could probably justify a place in there as a bat), and it's because until pant shows the sustained ability to do that with the bat, and to not be a useless keeper, he's going to carry the burden that "cnerd" correctly identified that was posted

Burgey

Yeah. Called Anderson in 2006 and Broad in 2009 on here. Thought it was a given tbh.
Also said England would win in 2010-11 iirc. And that Graeme Swann would be a top offie.

rated Murali’s fielding Very highly as well, ofc

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
i led the charge against failed test opener bj watling becoming nzs keeper and was convinced for years matt henry was tim southee mk 2 and wanted neil wagner to just get out of the way already.

similarly, i was spewing when tom blundell was asked to open in melbourne.

Teja.

Global Moderator
i stand with @cnerd123 in his take on pant still being a horrendous test batsman who can play brilliant innings when he fires, and both of his epic vigils over the last two tests don't do anything to disprove that.
Dude, he has played 6 tests in Australia and has a start in every single innings he played with his lowest score being 23 and an average of 60+. Looking at Pant play gives off the impression that he is an inconsistent, hit-or-miss player but the the reality is that he is the type of player who'll give you 20-40 nearly every innings with the occasional world class knock.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
And who managed to intimidate Aussies so much that despite India needing 160 odd in 33 overs or so, and with one established batsman left, he had a long on and long off and zero close in fielders from ball one.

Burgey

i led the charge against failed test opener bj watling becoming nzs keeper and was convinced for years matt henry was tim southee mk 2 and wanted neil wagner to just get out of the way already.

Good to see you owning these things mate. It must be difficult when you get these sort of things wrong. Chin up. You'll be right.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Mendis quite possibly could too imo, he's still fairly young I think? Feel like he's done a fair bit more in his career so far then Hope too
Hope is an excellent ODI batsman tbf to him, far superior to Mendis. But agree with you in tests, Mendis has achieved far more. Basically Shai had one ATG test and that is it.

Gob

International Coach
When I first saw Ravi Jadeja, I thought he'd go on to become a very good cricketer

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Found it tricky to reply to that while trying to avoid any cheap puns, but I would genuinely like you to be right on that one
I'd like the West Indies to ditch their insistence that he bat top 3 when he plays - he's done a lot better at 4 and 5 - but that's probably unlikely given that's where positions keep opening up, and he does a good job there in ODIs.

1611266189757.png

Shady Slim

International Coach
Dude, he has played 6 tests in Australia and has a start in every single innings he played with his lowest score being 23 and an average of 60+. Looking at Pant play gives off the impression that he is an inconsistent, hit-or-miss player but the the reality is that he is the type of player who'll give you 20-40 nearly every innings with the occasional world class knock.
aside from that absolute hack of an innings in melbourne i totally agree he's been amazing here

but imo until the guy shows he can do it in a range of conditions consistently (which he could well do!) i'm hesitant to christen him, but by all means if he does show consistency in the ability to be a gamebreaker in all conditions cnerd and i will pay the piper here

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

How is your favourite #BetterThanWatling keeper Tim Weston going these days, anyway?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How is your favourite #BetterThanWatling keeper Tim Weston going these days, anyway?
Haha I don't think he ever made that argument. Weston had already kind of given up keeping when Watling was being pushed forward (mainly because CD had KvW).