• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers over the Decades

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
There is always lots of talk, as it is the case in any sport, of who was the best ever. In cricket, with its 3 distinct roles and changes to conditions, equipment and rules throughout the years, it is even more difficult to answer.

So, I wanted to have a discussion on who the best cricketers and combined elevens have been throughout the decades. Personally I think it is best to go from 1950 on wards. I think it is important to look at those players who played a bulk of their cricket in a particular decade, rather than a great name who may have played 10 tests or so. So I have picked some quite strict criteria.

For the decades 50, 60 and 70, any player available for your pick must have played a minimum of 30 tests.

From the 1980s on wards, a minimum of 30 tests and 60 ODIs. You can pick them across formats or for each format separately, however you wish. This is all in the hopes of defining he best cricketers across the various eras, play styles, conditions and rule changes, beyond simply the hypothetical "who was best".

My list -

The 1950s
Best Batsman: Len Hutton Eng
Best Bowler: Fred Trueman Eng
Wicket Keeper: Godfrey Evans Eng

The 1960s
Best Batsman:Garfield Sobers WI
Best Bowler: Wes Hall WI
Wicket Keeper: JIm Parks Eng

The 1970s
Best Batsman: Viv Richards WI
Best Bowler: Dennis Lillee Aus
Wicket Keeper: Rod Marsh Aus

From now on, I will be picking the best with ODIs in mind, so evenly matched test players will be decided on who was better in ODIs, thus providing someone who was more well rounded and suited to different styles, i.e. a more complete player.

The 1980s
Best Batsman: Viv Richards WI (Miandad and Border were in with a shout too)
Best Bowler: Malcolm Marshall WI
Wicket Keeper: Jeff Dujon WI

The 1990s
Best Batsman: Sachin Tendullkar Ind
Best Bowler: Wasim Akram Pak
Wicket Keeper: Ian Healy Aus

The 00s
Best Batsman: Ricky Ponting Aus
Best Bowler: Muttiah Muralitharan SL
Wicket Keeper: Adam Gilchrist Aus

Edit: As I said, I would also be making combines XIs for each decade and I am starting with my favourite, the 1980s -

1. G. Greenidge
2. D. Haynes
3. Z. Abbas
4. IVA Richards
5. J. Miandad
6. A. Border
7. J. Dujon wk
8. I. Khan c
9. I. Botham
10. R. Hadlee
11. M. Marshall

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry, It just seems like an arbitrary date that just happens to exclude the best cricketer ever. You want a discussion on "who the best cricketers and combined elevens have been throughout the decades"..........that can't be done without including the 30's and 40's IMO

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The 1900s
Best Batsman: Clem Hill (just beats Trumper)
Best Bowler: Hugh Trumble
Wicket Keeper: Lilley

The 1910s
Best Batsman: Hobbs
Best Bowler: Sydney Barnes
Wicket Keeper: Strudwick

The 1920s
Best Batsman: Hobbs (just beats Sutcliffe but you could go either way and Hammond is even in with a shout)
Best Bowler: Tate
Wicket Keeper: Oldfield

The 1930s
Best Batsman: Bradman
Best Bowler: Grimmett (just beats Verity but you could go either way)
Wicket Keeper: Ames or Oldfied?

The 1940s
Best Bowler: Lindwall
Wicket Keeper: Godfrey Evans

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
There is always lots of talk, as it is the case in any sport, of who was the best ever. In cricket, with its 3 distinct roles and changes to conditions, equipment and rules throughout the years, it is even more difficult to answer.

So, I wanted to have a discussion on who the best cricketers and combined elevens have been throughout the decades. Personally I think it is best to go from 1950 on wards. I think it is important to look at those players who played a bulk of their cricket in a particular decade, rather than a great name who may have played 10 tests or so. So I have picked some quite strict criteria.

For the decades 50, 60 and 70, any player available for your pick must have played a minimum of 30 tests.

From the 1980s on wards, a minimum of 30 tests and 60 ODIs. You can pick them across formats or for each format separately, however you wish. This is all in the hopes of defining he best cricketers across the various eras, play styles, conditions and rule changes, beyond simply the hypothetical "who was best".

My list -

The 1950s
Best Batsman: Len Hutton Eng
Best Bowler: Fred Trueman Eng
Wicket Keeper: Godfrey Evans Eng

The 1960s
Best Batsman:Garfield Sobers WI
Best Bowler: Wes Hall WI
Wicket Keeper: JIm Parks Eng

The 1970s
Best Batsman: Viv Richards WI
Best Bowler: Dennis Lillee Aus
Wicket Keeper: Rod Marsh Aus

From now on, I will be picking the best with ODIs in mind, so evenly matched test players will be decided on who was better in ODIs, thus providing someone who was more well rounded and suited to different styles, i.e. a more complete player.

The 1980s
Best Batsman: Viv Richards WI (Miandad and Border were in with a shout too)
Best Bowler: Malcolm Marshall WI
Wicket Keeper: Jeff Dujon WI

The 1990s
Best Batsman: Sachin Tendullkar Ind
Best Bowler: Wasim Akram Pak
Wicket Keeper: Ian Healy Aus

The 00s
Best Batsman: Ricky Ponting Aus
Best Bowler: Muttiah Muralitharan SL
Wicket Keeper: Adam Gilchrist Aus

Edit: As I said, I would also be making combines XIs for each decade and I am starting with my favourite, the 1980s -

1. G. Greenidge
2. D. Haynes
3. Z. Abbas
4. IVA Richards
5. J. Miandad
6. A. Border
7. J. Dujon wk
8. I. Khan c
9. I. Botham
10. R. Hadlee
11. M. Marshall
Dujon should bat below Imran, Botham and (possibly) Hadlee

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Sorry, It just seems like an arbitrary date that just happens to exclude the best cricketer ever. You want a discussion on "who the best cricketers and combined elevens have been throughout the decades"..........that can't be done without including the 30's and 40's IMO
You fail to understand the point, this isn't about who is the best ever but who wast he best according to each decade. I know most can easily pick Bradman as the best batsman of 30s, maybe even the 40s and his stats (in particular the gap between him and the next best) would back that up. But are stats enough to define the best bowler and keeper with barely any footage? Not for me.

So that is why I started ranking from 1950 on wards. As I also said, if you want, be my guest and rank as early as you like, it's not an issue but actually make the effort.

Dujon should bat below Imran, Botham and (possibly) Hadlee
I agree, I kinda hastily put that batting order together, I'm going to tweak it a bit now.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Can't seem to edit my first post, so a tweaked 80s line up:

1. G. Greenidge
2. D. Haynes
3. Z. Abbas
4. IVA Richards
5. J. Miandad
6. A. Border
7. I. Khan c
8. I. Botham
9. Dujon wk
10. R. Hadlee
11. M. Marshall

Bringing it into the current century, my 00s line up -

1. S. Tendulkar
2. M. Hayden
3. R. Ponting c
4. K. Pietersen
5. J. Kallis
6. M. Yousuf
7. A. Gilchrist wk
8. S. Warne
9. M. Muralitharan
10. D. Steyn
11. G. Mcgrath

With the luxury of Kallis, I can play both of the top spinners, if push comes to shove, I could include Anderson instead of Warne. Smith is a bit unlucky to miss out on the openers slot, as is Dravid to find a place in the middle order. They could be part of a squad and take their place instead of Hayden and Yousuf.

Last edited:

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
The 1900s
Best Batsman: Clem Hill (just beats Trumper)
Best Bowler: Hugh Trumble
Wicket Keeper: Lilley

The 1910s
Best Batsman: Hobbs
Best Bowler: Sydney Barnes
Wicket Keeper: Strudwick

The 1920s
Best Batsman: Hobbs (just beats Sutcliffe but you could go either way and Hammond is even in with a shout)
Best Bowler: Tate
Wicket Keeper: Oldfield

The 1930s
Best Bowler: Grimmett (just beats Verity but you could go either way)
Wicket Keeper: Ames or Oldfied?

The 1940s
Best Bowler: Lindwall
Wicket Keeper: Godfrey Evans
Good stuff but Bradman doesn't meet the criteria of a minimum of 30 tests in a decade BUT it is acceptable purely because of the amount of cricket lost due to WW2.

AndrewB

For the 80s team, I'd pick Garner (av 20.6) ahead of Botham (av 32.4): Dujon-Hadlee-Marshall-Garner is hardly a weak tail. (I'd also pick Gavaskar ahead of Haynes, and maybe Crowe, Lloyd or Chappell ahead of Zaheer).

I wouldn't pick Anderson for an England team of the 00s, never mind a World team! Pollock seems an obvious choice if you're picking an extra pace bowler, since it's a weak tail if you pick (say) Gillespie or Hoggard instead of Warne. (Or I guess you could pick Flintoff at 6 and have a 6-man attack).

AndrewB

Good stuff but Bradman doesn't meet the criteria of a minimum of 30 tests in a decade BUT it is acceptable purely because of the amount of cricket lost due to WW2.
You'd have to drop that criterion: nobody played 30 Tests in the 1910s or 1940s, and only a handful did in the 1900s, 1920s or 1930s.

S.Kennedy

Yes, two world wars will do that, that and the fact there were only a few test playing nations, three until 1928, three more by 1932, of whom only two used to play with any degree of regularity.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
You'd have to drop that criterion: nobody played 30 Tests in the 1910s or 1940s, and only a handful did in the 1900s, 1920s or 1930s.
Yep, it's not a criteria to be used pre 1950 as I mentioned, with regards to the wars and less cricket being played.

No way on this planet is Hadlee a better bat then Dujon.
I agree, it's why I have Dujon above Hadlee but below Khan and Botham.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Having Dujon at 9 and Hadlee at 10 (and Marshall at 11) is ridiculous.

Drop Zaheer, move everyone up a notch, and find a spinner - not the greatest decade for them admittedly, but one of Qadir, Iqbal Qasim, Doshi or Harper were decent enough.

a massive zebra

International Captain
1770s
Batsman: John Small
Bowler: Lumpy Stevens
Wicket Keeper: Tom Sueter

1780s
Batsman: William Beldham
Bowler: David Harris
Wicket Keeper: Tom Sueter

1790s
Batsman: William Beldham