• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricket under rain?

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
Hi, how an umpire decide if the game is to be suspended or not? Can you play under light rain? And under drizzle? I ask this cos i come from a baseball background and i have played many games under rain and drizzle but i'm not sure you can do that in cricket. Its very tough to play in those condition for a baseball player, guaranteed, but challenging at the same time i must admit...

shaka

International Regular
Club / international cricketers will play if light drizle, would go off if get heavy / very heavy. I played in a game a couple of weeks back where that happened, and we were winning. Rain stopped us winning that match.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah usually they'll go off if its heavy, but once a couple of years ago I played in a thunderstorm. One of the umpires was the coach of the opposition, and they needed to win to win the competition, so on we played. The rain got so heavy you couldn't see the ball, so you saw the swing of the bat and heard the sound, then ducked for cover.

Good old school cricket.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Cricket is different to baseball in the fact that rain can seriously effect the playing surface, giving the bowling side a big advantage.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pedro Delgado said:
Cricket is different to baseball in the fact that rain can seriously effect the playing surface, giving the bowling side a big advantage.
I'm pretty sure it's not too good for the bats, either.

Son Of Coco

Pedro Delgado said:
The ball also gets wet though, so it's not that big an advantage to stay out there when it rains if you're bowling in most cases, it's also harder to catch the ball once it gets really damp. If the crease gets too wet then footing is also a problem.

Matteh

Should try these roofed arenas....
Hasn't the roof been pulled across for a One Day game in Australia before now?

Beleg

International Regular
I remember an ODI where they continued play even though the rainwater was marking a clear trail down Ian Chappell's hat and onto the surface of the pitch.

These days the umpires are far more circumspect - the merest threat of a shower and on come covers.

cameeel

International Captain
Matteh said:
Should try these roofed arenas....
Hasn't the roof been pulled across for a One Day game in Australia before now?
Yep, All three of the ICC World XI v Australia ODI's were played at Telstra Dome under a closed roof, a good idea as it turned out, because 2/3 games would have been washed out otherwise.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
cameeel said:
Yep, All three of the ICC World XI v Australia ODI's were played at Telstra Dome under a closed roof, a good idea as it turned out, because 2/3 games would have been washed out otherwise.
They have also played series against SA and Pak at Telstra Dome in the past

open365

International Vice-Captain
they played in the millenium stadium once.

at ametur level,you can play in very heavy rain with big puddles one the outfield.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
If any of our club games are under threat, it's usually a case of putting on our spinners/ medium pace trundlers and hope that the umpires don't take you off

andyc

cameeel said:
The ground looked pretty horrible though. It would've been a much better idea to play with the roof open until rain came and then close it.