• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For the record, have a Masters and Bachelors of Engineering as well as being a member of Golden Key (top 15% of university graduates in the world). So only a little 'small on intellect'?
Good thing you don't play with me because I am the smartest guy in my cricket team in case you weren't aware

sphynx

U19 Debutant
surprised the comment got so much pushback. He defended the Adam Goodes booing as 'not racist' and went after Walleed Aly a few times with venom. Called him a cretin lol

Most people who defended the Goodes booing were racist bogans sorry to say

Not sure if you guys will know about either of those guys if you aren't Australian
No they weren’t and I completely agree with Warnes stance.

it sounds like you just watched a doco on the subject.

Goodes was a **** of a player. He was a dirty, whining, sniper that played the inevitable race card because 90% of people hated him as a player.

He was the epitome of the type of player most fans hate in the AFL.

Happy to dish it out, but continually whining to umpires, playing for free kicks, flopping and had an ordinary record at the tribunal. Not to mention the media loved sucking him off constantly and ignored the above, which again, grates fans to no end.

It’s not too dissimilar to the Lebron flopping stuff in the NBA, except Lebron isn’t dirty like Goodes was.

The Goodes booing had nothing to do with race, he was just one of the biggest grubs in the league.

He then played the race card, won Australian of the year for it, so you can understand why he is one of the most disliked players of the last 30 years by fans.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Unless plumb (and sometimes even then), LBW decisions almost always elicits a quizzical response from the batsman. They don't know better than the ump whether it's out or not (unless they snicked it), yet will hang around in disappointment questioning the call. I would not hold this against Randall, it's fairly universal.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No they weren’t and I completely agree with Warnes stance.

it sounds like you just watched a doco on the subject.

Goodes was a **** of a player. He was a dirty, whining, sniper that played the inevitable race card because 90% of people hated him as a player.

He was the epitome of the type of player most fans hate in the AFL.

Happy to dish it out, but continually whining to umpires, playing for free kicks, flopping and had an ordinary record at the tribunal. Not to mention the media loved sucking him off constantly and ignored the above, which again, grates fans to no end.

It’s not too dissimilar to the Lebron flopping stuff in the NBA, except Lebron isn’t dirty like Goodes was.

The Goodes booing had nothing to do with race, he was just one of the biggest grubs in the league.

He then played the race card, won Australian of the year for it, so you can understand why he is one of the most disliked players of the last 30 years by fans.
Consider that the most intense period of booing got going when, after having laid his cards out as you describe (and not accepting the consequences of doing so), he chose to celebrate a goal by simulating spearing Carlton's supporters. You could say it was racial, he consciously chose to use his heritage as a weapon to antagonise people. He may as well have stuck both middle fingers up at them. He made his bed and had to lie in it.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Unless plumb (and sometimes even then), LBW decisions almost always elicits a quizzical response from the batsman. They don't know better than the ump whether it's out or not (unless they snicked it), yet will hang around in disappointment questioning the call. I would not hold this against Randall, it's fairly universal.
The reason I brought it up is that I've not seen anyone else in that era react like that, and the commentators picked up on it too. "It's fairly universal" is not correct from my watching 1970s players. In fact, it's very incorrect: it became noticeable in the 80s. The decisions I've seen from that decade that did elicit such a reaction were usually clearly doubtful.

The doubtful l.b.w.s were pretty much always against the bowler. Watch the highlights Rob Moody posted of the 6th test in 74/75: there're some real doozies in there.

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair comment. This isn't a recent phenomenon. By all accounts W.G. would stand his ground and dispute decisions. Wasn't it he who loudly proclaimed, "They haven't come to see you umpire. They've come to see me bat."

aussie tragic

International Captain
Watching the Australia vs Australia A 2nd ODI final of 1995 on foxtel. As said many times, what a golden era where the following couldn't make the top side

1. Hayden
2. Blewett
3. Martyn*
4. Bevan
5. Langer
6. Ponting

Last edited:

mr_mister

Consider that the most intense period of booing got going when, after having laid his cards out as you describe (and not accepting the consequences of doing so), he chose to celebrate a goal by simulating spearing Carlton's supporters. You could say it was racial, he consciously chose to use his heritage as a weapon to antagonise people. He may as well have stuck both middle fingers up at them. He made his bed and had to lie in it.
mate. he was called an ape by a fan in 2013 and asked for her to get evicted. he ended up getting lots of backlash for this because she was 13, like he was meant to know or care about that after he'd just been called an ape. anyway this incident was the catalyst for the booing and race stuff, it wasn't all fine and dandy until one day he popped out a war dance from nowhere in 2015.

alongside Warne some defenders of the booing included Alan Jones, Sam Newman, Andrew Bolt etc. Enough said really

The grub/dirty player stuff is a weak weak excuse. He'd won multiple best n fairest awards(you don't get to vote for yourself!) and his tribunal record was hardly in the area of Barry Hall. He was suspended for a total of 3 weeks over his long career. there have been plenty of players who have had dodgy records or flopped for penalties who didn't cop booing as intense as Adam

Last edited:

Starfighter

mate. he was called an ape by a fan in 2013 and asked for her to get evicted. he ended up getting lots of backlash for this because she was 13, like he was meant to know or care about that after he'd just been called an ape. anyway this incident was the catalyst for the booing and race stuff, it wasn't all fine and dandy until one day he popped out a war dance from nowhere in 2015.

alongside Warne some defenders of the booing included Alan Jones, Sam Newman, Andrew Bolt etc. Enough said really

The grub/dirty player stuff is a weak weak excuse. He'd won multiple best n fairest awards(you don't get to vote for yourself!) and his tribunal record was hardly in the area of Barry Hall. He was suspended for a total of 3 weeks over his long career. there have been plenty of players who have had dodgy records or flopped for penalties who didn't cop booing as intense as Adam
Mate, read what I said, the booing greatly intensified with that Carlton incident. And if you don't think that the build up had anything to do with his prior on field behaviour or other things like insulting the major demographic of the audience who made him rich over their skin colour, then you're missing a huge part of the picture. Just because you don't like certain political commentators doesn't make you right. Bang on about his awards, he was known and disliked as a flopper before the girl incident, as his ability faded. Henry Kissinger has a Nobel Peace Prize, I don't take awards as a meaningful measure of anything.

Of course the only reason that this argument exists at all was because, when I posted that post by Samuels in reaction to Stokes' comments you immediately decided to hop on your political hobby horse and make it about the Warne incident, and your opinion thereof, when no-one was asking for it and when it isn't really that relevant. Look in the mirror.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't give Sam Newman undeserved credence by referring to him as a "political commentator".

The man is just a chronic attention seeker, nothing more

mr_mister

Mate, read what I said, the booing greatly intensified with that Carlton incident. And if you don't think that the build up had anything to do with his prior on field behaviour or other things like insulting the major demographic of the audience who made him rich over their skin colour, then you're missing a huge part of the picture. Just because you don't like certain political commentators doesn't make you right. Bang on about his awards, he was known and disliked as a flopper before the girl incident, as his ability faded. Henry Kissinger has a Nobel Peace Prize, I don't take awards as a meaningful measure of anything.

Of course the only reason that this argument exists at all was because, when I posted that post by Samuels in reaction to Stokes' comments you immediately decided to hop on your political hobby horse and make it about the Warne incident, and your opinion thereof, when no-one was asking for it and when it isn't really that relevant. Look in the mirror.
Samuels addressed multiple people with his comment 'you guys dont even know me so it must be about my skin colour', obviously referring to Warne n Stokes

I gave my two cents on that, which was something like I dont know much about the Stokes story but with Warne it felt racial to me. This is based on Warnes recent history as well as me agreeing Warne probably doesn't know him. In no way was it irrelevant

Things have gotten very twisted here and it's kinda bull****

mr_mister

Don't give Sam Newman undeserved credence by referring to him as a "political commentator".

The man is just a chronic attention seeker, nothing more

he's also someone you absolutely don't want on your side in a discussion where race is the issue. he's ignorant as ****

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
still at it huh.

reposting the interview with Chappell and Prasanna from a draft thread cos it was really good and who knows might get people starting talking about cricket

Engle

State Vice-Captain
still at it huh.

reposting the interview with Chappell and Prasanna from a draft thread cos it was really good and who knows might get people starting talking about cricket

Enjoyed that. While IC mentioned Intikhab, would have liked to hear his views on Chandrasekhar. Checking his ' howstats ', he has not been dismissed by a LBG bowler of note.