• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Okay Sheldon. Sorry to ask you to use your imagination on a hypothetical question of what could have been had David Hookes not joined WSC lol
O.K., Mr. big on insults, small on intellect. Fact is that idolisation of a player is not a standpoint for posing hypotheticals. I doubt it was without reason that Wisden said of him, 'In truth, Hookes had always been a first-class destroyer of second-rate bowling.' He failed to make the step up in the career he did have, and one cannot show that this wouldn't have been the case anyway.

Also, because we must obviously allow for imagination, Hookes would not have had his jaw broken by Roberts in Sydney in December 1977. Instead, he would have had his jaw broken by Roberts in Bridgetown in March 1978.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
At the point of not being able to muster up an argument.

And as I originally said, I think he would have done better than a lot of the batsmen who we did have during WSC so I do not disagree entirely. In particular, I suspect he would have made a much better account of England's bowling in 1978/79, especially when it was their fast bowlers doing the damage early in the tour. He also was third in Aus WSC supertest batting averages, despite Andy Roberts. His first real failure was in 1979-80 where he was injured for most of the home season and performed dismally in Pakistan, therefore it may perhaps have not saved his subsequent career, particularly as any sort of leadership responsibility during that period would have likely had a negative effect in him as it did on everybody else who tried it.

Last edited:

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
After all, I've had many alternative scenarios drifting through my mind all the time (not all—or even most—cricket related). In fairness to you—and I do think I've been a bit too harsh, but I won't alter my posts—, perhaps as a result of being disappointed all the time with past and present, I've developed something of a cynical view of such exercises probably because in my experience they're often more hopes (or a 'coping' mechanism) than hypotheses, and everything in the real world is still just as disappointing anyway (so I see-saw like that all the time). Also, some people treat them very wildly and I sort of merge them into that category, perhaps unfairly.

For example, Bob Simpson apparently wanted to stay on as captain for the 1978–79 season, and I've wondered if he would have done better, but I've no more than a thin basis for it. Also, the selectors bizarrely dropped Border for the Sixth test when he'd done well at the same ground in the Fourth Test. Apart from the possibility we would have done at least a bit better in that test than we did if Border had been selected, I think a still younger captain would have wilted in the face of that sort of administration.

Last edited:

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I know what you're referring to in spite of my attempts to studiously ignore it, and it's still the level of wit of 'OK Boomer', in other words, infantile.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As the arbiter of who counts as a boomer, I'll say chuckled at AT's excellent deployment of 'ok'. NotMckenzie is definitely the boomer here.

aussie tragic

International Captain
And yet, AT deleted his original post
Hardly my original post, I deleted the one where I called you Sheldon as I felt I didn't want to insult anyone....but I didn't know you were working on a response for 20 minutes so still replied to my post after it was deleted

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Hardly my original post, I deleted the one where I called you Sheldon as I felt I didn't want to insult anyone....but I didn't know you were working on a response for 20 minutes so still replied to my post after it was deleted
Given the subject of the past few posts, namely witless insults and 'Ok', I think it was clear what I meant.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I did have a point to move away with (from the non-cricket), and some of the older posters may be able to help:

Was Derek Randall known for dissenting at decisions? Because in the 78/79 Ashes, he took exception to two l.b.w. decisions in one test where he was clearly out:

And perhaps moving your pads isn't technically dissent, but in one of the two Sydney tests (6th I think, but don't remember), he did the 'stare-back and-forth-in-shock' and 'refuse-to-leave-the-wicket-for-a-long-time' thing for a very clear caught behind decision.

Edit—Also, this could go in the cheats thread.

Last edited: