• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
According to Cricinfo Lahiru Gamage is Right-arm slow-medium. Does that mean slower than medium?
sounds like me tbh.

This epitomises what Vaas was complaining about when he called SL fast bowlers "soft" I guess.

Kaushal Silva apparently averaging about 80 in FC cricket in the last few months which includes some 'A' tours, he probably ought to get the nod to play in the UAE

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dilshan also retiring - haven't seen this mentioned
Think it was mentioned in the aging stars of the IPL thread. Definitely deserves better than that. :p

SL's already having trouble locking in a partner for him, they're pretty ****ed now that he's gone.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Wouldn't surprise me if someone like Kaushal Silva came in to replace him, but yeah, SL definitely looking for openers.

On Dilshan, it's sad to see him go, he looked kinda weird when he batted, but he had the ability to adapt to situations and he scored centuries fairly regularly in both ODI and test cricket for a time, will be missed.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Said it was so he Kumar and Mahela didn't leave at once. There are always holes to fill when players of that kind of skill leave. If the cricket board prepare some players it should be fine, as they've started with Silva. Hope he starts making some inroads though.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Chandimal and Thirrimanne are being blooded to try and fill the void that will be let by Sanga and Mahela, guys like Vithinage and Kusal Perera also coming through meaning SL's batting isn't actually looking too bad for the next few years.

It should be noted that we haven't seen the last from Dilshan, he has made himself available for ODIs right up until the WC

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
I have a minor question similar to the Steyn vs Anderson (Pace vs Swing) debate.

Anderson or Philander, who is the best swing bowler?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I have a minor question similar to the Steyn vs Anderson (Pace vs Swing) debate.

Anderson or Philander, who is the best swing bowler?
LOL, we haven't got the numbers to even make a case on this one skipper..............not at this point in time anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Philander definitely gets some movement in the air when conditions suit it but yeah I wouldn't call him a swing bowler either. Anderson controls his swing and bowls legitimately deliberate inswingers and outswingers; Philander moves it both ways in the air too but he achieves that by just keeping the seam bolt upright most of the time which also allows for much greater movement off the deck. Which of the two is a better bowler overall right now is definitely a fair enough debate but Anderson is unquestionable the better swing bowler.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Philander definitely gets some movement in the air when conditions suit it but yeah I wouldn't call him a swing bowler either. Anderson controls his swing and bowls legitimately deliberate inswingers and outswingers; Philander moves it both ways in the air too but he achieves that by just keeping the seam bolt upright most of the time which also allows for much greater movement off the deck. Which of the two is a better bowler overall right now is definitely a fair enough debate but Anderson is unquestionable the better swing bowler.
Can Philander control his seam movement and know that the ball will either be seaming out or in?

Riggins

International Captain
I suspect he has some idea which way he thinks it will go, if it goes, but not to the same extent someone like jimmy can control which way the ball swings in the air.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Saw this interesting article that seems to say that the BCCI is slowly becoming like fox news

Last edited: