• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rick Findlay must have a lot of time on his hands. He just tweeted that if Bradman had played every test between his retirement in 1948 and now, and made a duck in every innings, his average would be 5.88. Kind of an interesting fact in a totally useless sort of way.
Good to know a man who scores a duck for 70 years straight has a better batting average than mine this season

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I make no apologies to the fact that I consider first-class cricket to be the greatest sport ever invented and Twenty20 to be a complete load of bollocks.

S.Kennedy

You don't agree that higher salaries will lead to kids prioritizing T20 cricket over test cricket?
The whole article is a load of twaddle. He talks about kids being interested in twenty20 and not the red ball stuff. He cannot be speaking of England where there are not many kids interested in cricket whatsoever, whatever the format, since the ECB paywalled the entire sport and drove it underground. Joe Root could walk down any English street and not be recognised - Stokes also.

Tom Flint

International Regular
To say joe root and stokes could walk down any street and not be recognised is such an exaguration. Fair enough they arent as well known as footballers but id say one in every 8 people would know them lol.
Delending what street ur walking down and what area of course!

S.Kennedy

To say joe root and stokes could walk down any street and not be recognised is such an exaguration. Fair enough they arent as well known as footballers but id say one in every 8 people would know them lol.
Delending what street ur walking down and what area of course!
Well yes it is a bit of an exaggeration but my point being that because they play for a pay-walled sport, they are no where near as recognisable as practically every Premiership footballer, Andy Murray, Mo Farah, Jess Ennis, Lewis Hamilton, etc. - or for that matter, the Class of 2005 (Messrs Flintoff and Vaughan himself). Outside public schools, I do not see many kids wanting to play cricket in toto - irrespective of whether that format is Twenty20 (or not). Vaughan says he sees loads of kids obsessed with Twenty20. He surely must be 'Aussied out', too much time commentating for BT, as this does not describe England.

Heck, we are not getting the city franchise until 2019 or 2020. He is predicting the enthusiasm of children to a competition which has not even went past the draft stage! (Unless he is describing English kids watching the IPL and Bash, over their cornflakes?).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh yes, the abundance of Premiership football on terrestrial television is clearly key in players being recognisable.

S.Kennedy

Oh yes, the abundance of Premiership football on terrestrial television is clearly key in players being recognisable.
I see where you are going with this but I didn't say ''Premiership football'': I said ''Premiership footballer(s)''. There is a key difference. I should have perhaps said 'top flight footballers''?

An English terrestrial viewer would have full access to the FA Cup, circa half of the Champions League, the European Cup (whatever it is called now?) and extensive highlights of - yes - the Premiership (Match of the Day). He would have also full access to internationals, i.e. the Euros and World Cup (plus qualifiers). So yes, he would have far greater exposure to Premiership footballers (e.g. those belonging to Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc.) than cricketers. Vastly more I would say!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Wrong, terrestrial to gets little to no high standard live football (at most 8 club games and a few England games) it's almost all on paid for tv, and to call Match of the Day "extensive" highlights is significantly overstating it.