• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
That bit about Mike Brearley and new balls reminded me of an odd occurrence during the Ashes in Australia in 1978/79. England needed thirty odd to win at the start of the 4th innings of the match and the Aussie captain Yallop told the umpires he wanted to continue bowling with the same ball that had been used at the end of England's first innings. The pitch was turning a bit and although it couldn't make a difference to the result he wanted to open with the spinners with the old ball. The umpires wrongly allowed him to do it despite protests from Mike Brearley (the law at the time was that either captain could demand a new ball at the start of an innings). England won by 9 wickets with Boycott having got out. He's probably the only man ever dismissed in those exact circumstances.

Victor Ian

International Coach
So a captain could come out 2nd innings and continue with old ball (if the other one didn't object). That's marvellous. I want it to happen.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So a captain could come out 2nd innings and continue with old ball (if the other one didn't object). That's marvellous. I want it to happen.
Well I think any captain worth their salt would object if the other one had actually thought of it. Spinners these days seem to love the new ball anyway.

On thing which I always find interesting about that incident is that you were still allowed to rub the ball on the ground at the time. Maybe Yallop could have done that.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
As I want to cash in on the versus thread craze, which cricketer is most statistically comparable to Roger Harper?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If he doesn't get it he would be like reverse Sachin
Yes, Sachin was obsessed with numbers. Even Ashwin is and quite a few others are. I am too :D There is nothing wrong with it.

Brendan Taylor will be missed. Has been an absolute hero for Zimbabwe during their tough times and along with Sean Williams and Craig Ervine, always ensured that Zimbabwe had a spine in the middle order and was a team worth competing.

Hope his life after the cricketing career is also good.