• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Couple of good references here to the greatest junior cricket club in the world.

“Also a great memory was winning the Under 14’s Grand Final Greystanes then Under 16’s with Wentworthville Waratah’s at Ted Burge Oval in Merrylands. I may have hit future NSW spinner Anthony Clarke for 22 off the last over to win the competition”

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Couple of good references here to the greatest junior cricket club in the world.
I wish there had been junior clubs in my area (or ones that I was aware of) when I was a youngster. We lived in a semi-rural (then not now) area and 4 or 5 of us played street cricket. I often wonder how I would have gone had I started playing before I was in my mid 20s.

Burgey

I wish there had been junior clubs in my area (or ones that I was aware of) when I was a youngster. We lived in a semi-rural (then not now) area and 4 or 5 of us played street cricket. I often wonder how I would have gone had I started playing before I was in my mid 20s.
Did you grow up in WA?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
@Burgey you used to play first grade didn't you? At your age if you were in Canberra you'd just play 5th grade turf cricket and make life hell for a bunch of 15 year old kids and no-hopers in their twenties and thirties.

Burgey

I always tried to make life hell for young players, because it’s good for them #hoggpile

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
And how things have changed. I wrote a history of the Bentley CC and was fascinated by its early stages. The association fixture books had details of bus routes to the various grounds. One of our more well-to-do players in the early days would provide transport for 4 other players plus the umpire. When I interviewed him he told me he got plenty of lbw appeals upheld. Membership fees were set at one pound ($2) and playing fees were 5/- (50c) per week with 'scholars' paying 2/6 (25c). In the early '50s a Stuart Surridge "Neil Harvey Autograph" bat cost 4 pound 8/6 ($8.85). Back then it was unheard of club cricketers owning their own bat (or pads and gloves for that matter).

Burgey

Haha yeah I remember the old club kits even in seniors. Nowadays most junior sides don’t even need them after about under 12s as everyone has their own gear

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
It's been great reminiscing Burgey. But seriously, if you feel inclined to pull on the creams again, do it. You may regret it further down the track when your body says "No". Cheers.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Haha yeah I remember the old club kits even in seniors. Nowadays most junior sides don’t even need them after about under 12s as everyone has their own gear
I was in juniors in the late 80s/early 90s and up til then most kids in the team would use club gear. One or two kids had their own bats but mostly everyone just grabbed what gear they wanted out of the back of the coach’s Commodore station wagon.