• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
God I enjoyed that video and read @Burgey

You're right about the Viv alpha thing, I've never seen a bloke walk onto a sporting field and loom as large as Viv did just by his posture, demeanour and pure presence. My fave cricketer in my lifetime by a long mile.

I'd actually never heard of Spencer either, and it's a hell of a thing for Viv to say that he was the quickest. Viv spent the late 70s, 80s and early 90s facing Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Garner, Croft and Ambrose in the nets, and he faced Lillee and Thommo on the field.

You can sort of see Viv thinking "**** man, I might be past this", but he's never gonna let some kid know on field. And that cross bat against serious pace where he just wants to dominate. Man. And Viv, no helmet, ever.

Imagine if Spencer had've developed further, kept fit and stayed on the park. Spencer and McGrath would've been a nightmare pairing.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really interesting read, thanks Burgey.

Geez he looked quick in that video. I swear the keeper looked like he wasn't ready for the ball when it reached him.

In today's game he would have been workload managed from juniors and in theory may have actually ended up with a serious test career, or at least T20 career. One of the big what ifs.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting to read that after his career finished they prescribed him nandrolone and it fixed a lot of issues with his back.

There was an athlete a few years ago who had a testosterone(?) deficiency and got an exemption to have it prescribed to a level which boosted his level to the not al range. I can’t recall the sport, but Spencer’s case makes me wonder if he’d been prescribed the steroid for purely medical reasons while he was still playing and been open about it, would he have been able to play without serving a ban?

Burgey

had never heard of Spencer, looked the goods. Was Wayne 'Cracker' Holdsworth also really quick? Or am I just thinking that coz his nickname makes him sound like a super express bowler
I played against Cracker in high school. He was already playing first grade. Safe to say I wasn’t.

I opened the batting. We played on synthetic decks. It was the mid-80s & no one wore lids because if you did you got laughed at by your mates. He was very, very fast. It wasn’t much fun.

At all. Was better when he was on your team.

PS: he was called cracker because he did penis tricks, not because of his pace. As in crack a fat.

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
Dean du Plessis, the blind cricket commentator, has a podcast where he interviews current and former Zimbabwe players. If you can work through the somewhat stilted Zimbo style there are some interesting nuggets and insights. The most recent episode where he interviews Vusi Sibanda and learns about some of the discrimination he suffered is particularly good. I used to make fun of Vusi but grew to appreciate his talent and it’s good to see he has a job in cricket in Canberra.

Burgey

I’d love Ten to get them but I don’t know which comms they’d use given Seven presumably will have their better blokes doing the Tests

stephen

Good chance of it being entirely on Fox imo.
That would be a (not unwarranted) disaster. One of the other two will pick it up for peanuts though surely. CA would not risk killing the golden goose like that. No FTA = dead sport. 5 tests per season, mostly before the new year, 3 before the holidays won't be enough to sustain the national sport long term. Interest will die and the sport will die with it.

Starfighter

That would be a (not unwarranted) disaster. One of the other two will pick it up for peanuts though surely. CA would not risk killing the golden goose like that. No FTA = dead sport. 5 tests per season, mostly before the new year, 3 before the holidays won't be enough to sustain the national sport long term. Interest will die and the sport will die with it.
They already put the limited overs and part of the Big Bash on pay tv because they could pay themselves bonuses for a sghly bigger deal. Do you think they care? The idea of long-term thinking is absolutely dead in today's world.