• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of Ian Pont rival Steffen Jones' latest instagram posts:

http://instagr.am/p/CEHhVZFH6rl/
You're preaching to the choir here Steffen. Admittedly it's a choir of one (me, I've thought for several years that fast bowling has significantly changed mechanically, and not necessarily for the better).

Also not sure he'd like the end of the old-timey kinematic sequence. Most bowlers then bent the front leg much more markedly than these days, and he's very against that.

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
Noticed this when his name was raised in another thread.

Geoff Miller, the England offspinning allrounder from the late 70s-early 80s, passed fifty 74 times in his first-class career but only scored two hundreds. Is this the worst conversion rate in history?

I'm sure it wasn't entirely his fault as he probably ran out of partners a fair bit, but I've never seen a stat like that.

mr_mister

Noticed this when his name was raised in another thread.

Geoff Miller, the England offspinning allrounder from the late 70s-early 80s, passed fifty 74 times in his first-class career but only scored two hundreds. Is this the worst conversion rate in history?

I'm sure it wasn't entirely his fault as he probably ran out of partners a fair bit, but I've never seen a stat like that.
Its not as bad and across 2 formats but Arjuna Ranatunga hit 87 international fifties yet only scored 8 tons. So passed fifty 95 times but only went onto 100 less than 10% of those times

Chubb

International Regular
So I googled "geoff miller conversion rate cricket" and found a page from two cap England opener Steve James' book The Art of Centuries.

It states that Miller has the worst conversion rate of anyone who has scored more than 50 half centuries, at 2.75%.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Testwise Warne has more runs than anyone without reaching triple figures. But of genuine batsman it is indeed Chauhan (RIP) though. Another opener of that era in Bruce Laird is second there.

Not strictly what was being asked, but semi relevant

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People might recall some time ago in the discussion as to the fastest bowlers to have played, TC (I think) mentioned the name Duncan Spencer, who played for WA and also Kent for a few years in the early 90s. Anyway, this is a link to an article on him - one of the great "what might have been" stories in cricket. well worth a read.

Below is his spell to Viv in the Sunday League - Viv's last FC match (aged 41). He said Spencer was the fastest bloke he'd ever faced. It's pretty scary stuff tbh.

Burgey

Also, Viv Richards is unquestionably the most Alpha bloke to have walked the earth. Not only did he birthday tweet to Wasim Akram that he wished he'd played against him when he in fact did ply against him, thereby insinuating Wasim wasn't worthy of being remembered; after being roughed up by Spencer in this spell and being caught top edging a pull shot from a no ball, he gets down the other end and pats Spencer on the head with a big grin on his face.

Alpha AF.

Daemon

Also, Viv Richards is unquestionably the most Alpha bloke to have walked the earth. Not only did he birthday tweet to Wasim Akram that he wished he'd played against him when he in fact did ply against him, thereby insinuating Wasim wasn't worthy of being remembered; after being roughed up by Spencer in this spell and being caught top edging a pull shot from a no ball, he gets down the other end and pats Spencer on the head with a big grin on his face.

Alpha AF.
He's no Atul Sharma but that's seriously Alpha

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
There are a lot of superfast bowlers around then, both internationally and in AUS domestic cricket, even county cricket had a few, but Spencer was arguably the quickest and nastiest of the lot.

What might have been indeed

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
There are a lot of superfast bowlers around then, both internationally and in AUS domestic cricket, even county cricket had a few, but Spencer was arguably the quickest and nastiest of the lot.

What might have been indeed
Andre van Troost knocking Jimmy Adams out of test cricket etc

Starfighter

I heard Viv elsewhere nominate Thomson as the fastest.

Don't think I've ever seen someone look quicker with the white ball (which always looks slower IMO) than in that video though. That's some absolutely searing pace.

but Spencer was arguably the quickest and nastiest of the lot.
Heard he was very nasty personality wise when he was playing in Perth too.

mr_mister

had never heard of Spencer, looked the goods. Was Wayne 'Cracker' Holdsworth also really quick? Or am I just thinking that coz his nickname makes him sound like a super express bowler