• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is not unreasonable to expect that there would be tit for tat in these matters.
Australia put out an utterly rubbish team for the warm up when Pakistan toured; now it is Pakistan's turn to retaliate.

Reciprocity is the key; this kind of nonsense will keep going on till the various BCCIs come to their senses and reach some kind of agreement regarding the quality of opposition provided to visiting teams for their warm up games.
Post so bad it gave me AIDS. Not sure how you could have missed the differences.

cnerd123

likes this
Look on the bright side, they've managed to bat for 2 innings without losing a single wicket to the bowlers. If they learn to run between the wickets they could be serious prospects
In their third game they lost 2 more wickets to runouts, but 4 to the bowlers. 2 of those wickets were to an over-age player, so if we ignore those, they have only lost 2 wickets in 3 games to bowlers and 9 to runouts. Out of a total of 11 wickets lost. Lol.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Don't you hate it when former players you used to idolise speak out and sound like dinosaurs?

I hate it when players of previous eras are just so unbelievably negative about everything. Andy Roberts is one, he talks utter nonsense most of the time now. He's completely out of touch with modern cricket, wanting no backroom staff etc

Modern West Indies players get accused of not using the resource these old players have to offer. But why would they? If you go to Andy Roberts all he will do is tell you that you're rubbish and that you don't work hard enough despite being ten times fitter than teams in the 70s and 80s. I try not to let my memories of former greats be tarnished when they talk utter nonsense in their old age but it's difficult.

Does anyone else have this issue?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you underestimate the fitness off those great Windies teams. They worked very hard to gain and maintain their dominance.

Beamer

I think you underestimate the fitness off those great Windies teams. They worked very hard to gain and maintain their dominance.
They were ahead of their time for sure but still nowhere near as fit as modern day cricketers. It was different game.

stephen

Sure they didn't have 100 sports scientists at their beck and call but fitness is a pretty basic concept.

trundler

Holding was a runner for Jamaica. Richards and Marshall were both pretty fit too. I believe Macko especially had a pretty taxing fitness routine. If Fire in Babylon is to be be believed, fitness was of utmost importance back then too.

Beamer

Holding was a runner for Jamaica. Richards and Marshall were both pretty fit too. I believe Macko especially had a pretty taxing fitness routine. If Fire in Babylon is to be be believed, fitness was of utmost importance back then too.
It was and we were ahead of our time, using Denis Waite as a trainer etc. But still nothing compared to todays cricketers. Rovman Powell runs the 100 metres in 10.6 seconds. Andre Russell is an absolute beast. Jermaine Blackwood could have been an athlete also.

Also the Holding being a runner story is a myth that Tony Cozier started accidentally.

Starfighter

I think modern players are fitter athletically. You've got a hard time convincing me that they're any fitter to bowl.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
You definitely posted that article in the right place, *****. Kookaburra balls are only remotely related to cricket at best.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Just read that vettori took 148 odi's to score a 50. Pretty surprising as he ended up a very useful lower order bat

_Ed_

True, although he was never particularly good in ODIs with the bat - an average well under 20.