• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do not understand the fan following Dhoni has. He was an okay test player and was an ordinary test captain. Sure, he is a great ODI player but people are fans of his in a big way. A lot of people.
He likes to hit sixes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Do not understand the fan following Dhoni has. He was an okay test player and was an ordinary test captain. Sure, he is a great ODI player but people are fans of his in a big way. A lot of people.
Meh, he brings excitement to the fans and gave them a World Cup win. Pretty obvious why he's popular.

Niall

International Coach
He is oozing with charisma and has a style of game that the masses love. An ATG in the format that most Indian cricket fans prioritise in ODI cricket. He played a gun innings in the 2011 world cup final which for many is a seminal moment in Indian cricket history. Lets not forget how popular the IPL is as well and he as captain of its most iconic franchise adds to his superstar status.

Test cricket for me and most here is the pinnacle, but for the masses especially in Asia it plays second fiddle to limited overs cricket and no test series will ever match the importance of white ball world cups, 2 of which Dhoni won as captain. The guy is absolute box office.

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
I think it also has a lot to do with how he conducts himself. He really comes off as the badass action hero that we all see in movies, with those last over heroics of his and the calmness and confidence he exudes while doing it.

Niall

International Coach
I think it also has a lot to do with how he conducts himself. He really comes off as the badass action hero that we all see in movies, with those last over heroics of his and the calmness and confidence he exudes while doing it.
And isn't he from humble background as well? Another thing advertising/marketing people love.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
****! A couple of days ago I was chatting to Brian Lara and he gave me his cell number and email address to keep in touch. He wrote it on the back of one of my business cards. Last night, in the pub, I casually gave a card to someone without thinking and it was the ****ing card with Lara's details on!

harsh.ag

****! A couple of days ago I was chatting to Brian Lara and he gave me his cell number and email address to keep in touch. He wrote it on the back of one of my business cards. Last night, in the pub, I casually gave a card to someone without thinking and it was the ****ing card with Lara's details on!
If it was meant to be, you ****ed it up

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Win, win! Worked out who I gave the card to. Found a way to contact them. Met up with them for a cracking Saturday night out and got the card with the details back. Hooray!

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Over the last year or so, I have enjoyed NZ play so much, I am really missing not seeing them in action for a while now.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Haha quality. Did you mention the Lara point when you arranged the catch-up?
Ha! I didnt. Just said I had accidentally given him a business card with a hand written contact on the back. When I met with him he smiled and said he knew why I wanted it back and that he was torn between meeting me to give it back or call Lara and try and meet with him :)

duffer

You should've stored it on your phone ASAP!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jimmy Adams on West Indies v Australia in the 1990s | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

From the article:

The situation with the board got ridiculous, to the point where they were blaming Lara for us not winning the series because he scored too quickly in Antigua. That's when you know you're great: when you score a hundred at a run a ball and they're blaming you for everyone else's problems.

I know the WICB are a bunch of morons but if this is true they are bigger idiots than even I thought they would be. I mean, your batting line up outside The Prince can hardly put together 50 per innings and you blame him for scoring TOO QUICKLY and costing the team the series?