• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket DVDs

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The first warning-shots were, of course, fired at Sabina when Roberts, Holding and Daniel came together for the first time, when Bedi declared at 5-down or whatever it was.

I certainly agree that the age of the batsmen shouldn't make any difference (and as I say - in the end they survived the onslaught anyway), but the David Frith types of this World (and, to be fair, one or two others) clearly thought it should. It seems to me that it did add to the outrage, reading reports written that night and one or two comments from the Lakers and Benauds.

It's no coincidence that both were bowled by straight balls the next day. Even Lloyd, of course, subsequently admitted that they got carried-away, which he notably did not on the other occasion where they were heavily criticised (ie in New Zealand in 1979\80).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Is there really a DVD of the 1984 Blackwash?

If so, that'd be a fascinating one. Though 1980 and 1981 would be even better.
Not sure if you're joking, but I think he's referring to the 1984 TV miniseries called Bodyline, starring Gary Sweet and Hugo Weaving.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The first warning-shots were, of course, fired at Sabina when Roberts, Holding and Daniel came together for the first time, when Bedi declared at 5-down or whatever it was.

I certainly agree that the age of the batsmen shouldn't make any difference (and as I say - in the end they survived the onslaught anyway), but the David Frith types of this World (and, to be fair, one or two others) clearly thought it should. It seems to me that it did add to the outrage, reading reports written that night and one or two comments from the Lakers and Benauds.

It's no coincidence that both were bowled by straight balls the next day. Even Lloyd, of course, subsequently admitted that they got carried-away, which he notably did not on the other occasion where they were heavily criticised (ie in New Zealand in 1979\80).
Lloyd's standing does surprise me at times. In Jamaica, he was under a lot of pressure after India had made 400+ to level the series, which in turn followed the 5-1 drubbing in Aus. If reports that I've read are accurate, then it was a case of if the short stuff didn't get you, then the beamer would in that particular game. The umpires, natch, did nothing, and his side were up & running. Of course, he was rather less happy about hometown umpiring in 1979/80, when the conduct of his side really should have been a sacking offence.

All that being said, Frith isn't someone I greatly admire. IIRC the short stuff is OK when it's being administered by Larwood & Voce but not by anyone else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure if you're joking, but I think he's referring to the 1984 TV miniseries called Bodyline, starring Gary Sweet and Hugo Weaving.
Oh, right, no, never heard of it.

Presumed he was referring to 1984 as being a latter-day Bodyline, given that West Indies possessed Marshall, Holding and Garner (plus Baptiste and Harper).

Evidently I was mistaken. :)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lloyd's standing does surprise me at times. In Jamaica, he was under a lot of pressure after India had made 400+ to level the series, which in turn followed the 5-1 drubbing in Aus. If reports that I've read are accurate, then it was a case of if the short stuff didn't get you, then the beamer would in that particular game. The umpires, natch, did nothing, and his side were up & running. Of course, he was rather less happy about hometown umpiring in 1979/80, when the conduct of his side really should have been a sacking offence.
Similar things I have thought myself occasionally...
All that being said, Frith isn't someone I greatly admire. IIRC the short stuff is OK when it's being administered by Larwood & Voce but not by anyone else.
:blink: Has he really not condemned Bodyline?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Similar things I have thought myself occasionally...

:blink: Has he really not condemned Bodyline?

Not nearly as strongly as you might expect, given his views of other intimidatory bowling. Not in the bits I''ve read anyway. If I'm wrong, then my apologies to the old boy.

I'm a bit jaundiced to him beacuse of his ludicrous comments about WI bowlers from the 70's to 90's. Even allowing for the times when they were OTT, they were clearly brilliant practitioners, but Frith just wouldn't have it. Something along the lines of "Marshall was great, Garner & Ambrose were lucky to be born with long limbs, and that's all." he really should know better.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Apart from the usual ones (The 2003/4 WI one, Cape crusaders, The two 2005 ones) I've got Richie benaud's Greatest XI and one where MA Atherton picked an entertainers XI (Tendulkar, Lara, V Richards, Botham, Flintoff, Gilchrist, R Hadlee, Warne, Murali, Donald and Shoaib) and a Phil Tuffnell ****-ups DVD (All your favourite ****-ups including one where an english left-arm spinner -can't remember his name) was standing over the stumps and all he had to do to run out I think it was S Waugh was catch a vaey gentle throw. He droped it, he ran back and shied at the stumps and missed (if he had hit he would still have run him out yhe had so far to get back. The crowd cheered so loud you couldn't hear A Greig's commentary (now THAT is an achievement.):laugh:
I'm surprised no-one thinks of putting footage of old England series on DVD because the footage is avaliable - ESPN Classic in the UK have been showing old Test series for a while (including the "Grovel" series, the "Blackwash" series and the '81 Ashes) sadly they don't show all the days of the '76 series. For the OT Test they don't show the first day but it was probably the more amazing of the days. Poor Mike Selvey it was his finest hour - it was mainly due to him that Windies were reduced to not-very-many-for four and they don't show it. or what must be one of the best innings I've never seen - in a match where the first innings scores were 211 and 71 Gordon Grennidge scored 134 - without that the Windies would have been nearly as bad as England.
Two other points about this significant match - which could have been the point the Windies dominance started (after all they had been thrashed in Australia in the previous winter and the first two Tests of '76 had been drawn -and inbetween times India had scored over 400 in a 4th innings to beat them). Yes Close did chest those bouncers (as he did against Hall and Griffth famously at Lord's in '63) and just to prove crap tails are not a recent occurance for England our last four at OT in '76 were Underwood (at no 8!), Pocock, Selvey and Hendrick - against Roberts and co.! How stupid! I certinly think a DVD of that series would be a good idea.
PS - yes I agree the 1980/81 Windies attack was far better than the '84 one. Malcolm Marshall must be the best 5th choice fast bowler in history!

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
My brother and I bought the Old Man for christmas the ABC dvd Australian Cricket Collection, Cricket in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s & 1980s. It is one of the most facinating set of shows that I have ever seen. Probably the best DVD is the 1970s one when World Series cricket took offer, the Packer revolution and Australia fielding a virtule 2nd XI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not nearly as strongly as you might expect, given his views of other intimidatory bowling. Not in the bits I''ve read anyway. If I'm wrong, then my apologies to the old boy.

I'm a bit jaundiced to him beacuse of his ludicrous comments about WI bowlers from the 70's to 90's. Even allowing for the times when they were OTT, they were clearly brilliant practitioners, but Frith just wouldn't have it. Something along the lines of "Marshall was great, Garner & Ambrose were lucky to be born with long limbs, and that's all." he really should know better.
I know, I've read your comments on him before. :) That's why I mentioned him ITFP.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I know, I've read your comments on him before. :) That's why I mentioned him ITFP.

Just fishing, eh?

Either WCM or TWC printed exerts from "Bodyline Autopsy" when it came out. My impression was that he was keen to defend Bodyline as far as possible, which was somewhat at odds with his treatment of nearly all other fast bowlers. I'll have to dig it out at some point.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, nah, not dangling the bait at all - I quite agree with you that he takes a somewhat ridiculous line on the West Indian seamers.

That was the context I was attempting to mention in.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It's amazing how many different accounts you hear of the Old Trafford Roberts-Holding bombardment. It was a disgraceful piece of unsportsmanlike behaviour; it typified West Indies' win-at-all-costs mentality which was to serve them so well and was commendible; it was a brilliant piece of defiance from two old men who loved a scrap (they did, after all, survive the bombardment that evening); etc. etc.

Wasn't Close simply chesting them down, centre-back style, at one point?
Agreed. However, if you want to make additional comments on this, C_C had a thread on this topic a short while ago where he repeatedly went on about how Close was humiliated and was an embarrasment. He refused to acknowledge any resolve or bravery from Close

Im sure you would have made similar responses to the ones I did.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have had a skirt around and can't find anything along those lines... but you might not have seen C_C's comment (think it was before your time) that the only English cricketers of the past 35 years or so that "stack-up" are Boycott, Gooch, Knott, Stewart and Underwood.

EDIT: found it

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What Cricket DVDs do y'all own?

Er, I reckon that's it. Loadsa stuff I need to get, including my desperate desire for India V Australia 01. So, what are the best DVDs out there, not just as an England fan, but as a Cricket fan, and do you lot bother with them much?
I have the India-Australia late 90s series and the 2001 series; India in Australia Adelaide test and Ashes 2005. I am nto a huge fan of cricket DVDs because we always get cricket highlights on television from one match or the other from the past and essentially match DVDs contain most of that more often than not.

I don't mind buying historical DVDs and stuff where greats give opinions while it contains great rare footages from matches as well or well made DVDs of tests matches/series. I recommend ESPN's legends of cricket DVD. I have seen a few shows via youtube of some of the legends and they are well pieced up. I think Jono has that one (Jono also has a good assortment of DVDs and he will be able to give some good recommendations I reckon). The India-Pakistan 98 series was excellent and Jono linked to a site where it can be bought and I recommend you to buy that if you can as well.

I do think that there has been a lack of quality DVDs where cricket is concerned over all and there is great room for exploitation in this field. Hopefully we will see a bit of improvement in some years.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just fishing, eh?

Either WCM or TWC printed exerts from "Bodyline Autopsy" when it came out. My impression was that he was keen to defend Bodyline as far as possible, which was somewhat at odds with his treatment of nearly all other fast bowlers. I'll have to dig it out at some point.
I'll declare a bias & say I do like Frith, but he is unquestionably a bit sniffy about the Windies quicks. It's a while since I've read Bodyline Autopsy, but (IIRC) he wasn't really defending it as such, rather pointing out the contrast between how posterity has judged Jardine & Lloyd. Leg theory was deplored relatively sparingly really, given that Allen flat-out refused to bowl it & Verity and Hammond both bowled a fair anount in 32/33 as well. The Windies' barrage was fairly relentless.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... and it was also never administered on pitches anything like as deadly as Adelaide '32\33. Nor did it benefit from a complete lack of ruling on Leg-Side fielders.