• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Drafting Games Starter Kit

weeman27bob

International Regular
I like the idea here but all these things aren’t necessarily always applicable. Eg, in some drafts the general “no Bradman” rule doesn’t apply and often there’s a penalty if he’s selected etc etc. I don’t think a straight “no Bradman” rule should be in this stickied guide as it’s often not been the case. Also the times of 12/8 hours can be variable and should be decided by the draft organiser pre draft.
I think it would make more sense to just say there will be a specified time limit for making picks rather than suggesting it specifically defaults to something.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Title should've been something obnoxiously grandiose like "A Guide for the Up and Coming Drafter" or "The Young Drafter's Tutor" after the oldest surviving cricket book written by John Nyren.

Reactions: Red

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It takes time and understanding of the other people on the forum. There's a line and if you don't know where it is, find the nearest Australian and they'll explain it to you :p.
This is a line deserving repeating and highlighting across the forum. (Except maybe the Aussie part!)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like the idea here but all these things aren’t necessarily always applicable. Eg, in some drafts the general “no Bradman” rule doesn’t apply and often there’s a penalty if he’s selected etc etc. I don’t think a straight “no Bradman” rule should be in this stickied guide as it’s often not been the case. Also the times of 12/8 hours can be variable and should be decided by the draft organiser pre draft.
I realise that these rules don't apply all of the time. I was trying to show an example of the simplest and most common type of draft on here. Most of the time Bradman is permitted, the rules make him very difficult to select.

The idea of the guide is to show the baseline draft, so that a newbie can understand what is going on. It's not meant to be prescriptive.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's certainly a good effort. Maybe we can make this the "general" thread where we brainstorm ideas, give feedback etc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We can also do like a calendar of the games that people wanna run like we do in Mafia. Coz more than 2 drafts concurrently can be confusing. I get confused even with just 2. :laugh:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Gonna start a debut chronology draft with a fluctuating order once there's only 1 other draft going on. Want it to be a big one.
Sounds interesting. "Batting Average" draft and T2M2 are in their concluding stages. 21st Century starts in a few hours so
it and your proposed draft should be the only 2 running concurrently if you wait until they (the 2 near an end) are over and we make 2 at a time a draft policy. Stephen moderating would allow a check to be kept.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We should have like two sticky threads. One with a calendar of the games and with updates of who won once they are done, so that people can easily see what is coming up and if anyone has an idea for a game, they know exactly when they can plan to start theirs.

Second one should just be the rules and info. from the first post of this thread. And this thread could be the General Drafts Discussion and Feedback thread.

Couple of suggestions off the top of my head here.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I think it should be clearer that most of the standard rules can be negotiated. I know you put "These rules are generally unwritten and are assumed to be true unless a rule overrides them." but it still feels too set in stone the way the bullet points are up now.

Also, it's not something we do here any more but elsewhere I have used the practice that we can PM the person in front of us with two picks. This of course shouldn't be forced (you might want to keep a good pick secret) but towards the end it's a decent enough practise as we're all filling holes by that point.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it should be clearer that most of the standard rules can be negotiated. I know you put "These rules are generally unwritten and are assumed to be true unless a rule overrides them." but it still feels too set in stone the way the bullet points are up now.

Also, it's not something we do here any more but elsewhere I have used the practice that we can PM the person in front of us with two picks. This of course shouldn't be forced (you might want to keep a good pick secret) but towards the end it's a decent enough practise as we're all filling holes by that point.
I can't edit the OP any more but these are some great points.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I thought thread creators could edit the OP by default in this sub forum.
I will investigate whether this is something we can turn off/on by subforum.

Edit: Nope, sorry. Post edit times are fixed across the forum and once that time has passed only moderators can edit.

Last edited: