• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket corruption

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But yes, I think a cricket match being a large set of hundreds of discrete events (each of which can be bet on) makes it an attractive fixing target.

Bijed

International Regular
I really don't know how cricket actually compares to most other sports in terms of corruption, but I guess compared to quite a lot of others it's more vulnerable to things like spot-fixing just because of the nature of the sport - i.e individual players actually have to power to guarantee that something like bowling a no-ball at a specific point happens, whereas a sport such as soccer (feel a bit dirty calling it that tbh, but will do so for the sake of clarity) is much more uncontrolled hence harder to spot-fix.

Actual match-fixing I think is relatively rare across all sports?

Edit: Aww, ninja'd, and more succinctly too

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Why is it the worst sport for fixing you never hear about NBA or baseball or soccer match fixing.
Probably because some of the nations in which a lot of cricket is played are known for being utterly corrupt in and of themselves. Not naming any names.

Compton

International Debutant
Players are paid much poorer at he highest level than most other sports. Means it's cheap to fix. Plus it's a spot better's dream for all the daft things you can be on.