• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

archie mac

International Coach
Matt79 said:
Haigh's Ashes 2005 was a great read - the day by day dissections of each test less so than the summations of the matches and the tangential articles (after reading the excellent summation of each test, reading five separate articles giving the blow by blow each day was a bit redundant, although I know that was in fact the premise of the book.

Archie, if you're Canberra based, and you haven't already done so, do yourself a favour and check out Canty's Second Hand books in fyshwick - they've got the biggest selection of cricket books I've seen in one place, and not just the recent releases. A surprising amount of people decided they wanted to trade in Mike Whitney's books though! :blink: :cool: No Max Walker tho... :)
Yes I have been there. The owner has a couple of very rare books, that he refuses to sell to me :@

The best place in Aust. would be Roger Page Cricket Books in Melbourne, he knows Gideon Haigh as well, and has him sign all of his books for me :)

archie mac

International Coach
Here are my favourite cricket books click here it would be great if other people could tell me their favourite cricket books. Does not have to be a top 12, top 5 would be great:)

Matt79

Global Moderator
So no Max Walker then Archie?

Seriously, that's a good list - you've done a good job of conveying your enjoyment of the books and how special they are. I've not read any of them, so I'll have to get on my bike...

archie mac

International Coach
Matt79 said:
So no Max Walker then Archie?
It must be galling to cricket historians, spending years researching and writing important cricket histories and biographies, to see Mr Walker on top of the best selling list :@

Although I quite enjoyed his efforts :)

Matt79 said:
Seriously, that's a good list - you've done a good job of conveying your enjoyment of the books and how special they are. I've not read any of them, so I'll have to get on my bike...
Thank you for that, they read much better once Voltman had proof read them and made corrections :)

Maybe some day someone will review a book of mine, now that would be something:cool:

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Anyone read the book "Cricket: The Bowler's Art" by Dr Brian Wilkins ?? or know where to get a copy ??

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Archie, you seem to be a bit of a student of Australian cricket throughout the 70's, last year I decided to read a book out of my dads collection, The Chappell Era. It's a book which has interviews with Ian, Greg and Trev's dad just prior to his death, as well as interviews with the sons ofcourse. It basically just talks about how they became the cricketers and people they are, their childhood etc. An awesome read.

archie mac

International Coach
benchmark00 said:
Archie, you seem to be a bit of a student of Australian cricket throughout the 70's, last year I decided to read a book out of my dads collection, The Chappell Era. It's a book which has interviews with Ian, Greg and Trev's dad just prior to his death, as well as interviews with the sons ofcourse. It basically just talks about how they became the cricketers and people they are, their childhood etc. An awesome read.
Is that the one by Ian Brayshaw?

I have it, but have not read it, will have to move it up the 'to read list'

Would you consider doing a review for the CW? :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
would you be interested in reviews of perry's "bradman's best" books? I know they're a bit older, but you've already reviewed most of the books i've read recently, and i have the bones of a review in my head already

archie mac

International Coach
Matt79 said:
would you be interested in reviews of perry's "bradman's best" books? I know they're a bit older, but you've already reviewed most of the books i've read recently, and i have the bones of a review in my head already
Go for it Matt, would be good to see.

Some believe that Perry made those selections up, but I am not so sure :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Here are my favourite cricket books click here it would be great if other people could tell me their favourite cricket books. Does not have to be a top 12, top 5 would be great:)
Thanks for that list Archie_Mac.

I havent read any barring two of them ! The two exceptions being Days in the Sun by Cardus and Australian Test Cricket 1877-1981 Now there are some more books to look for and buy :)

This topic has come up before and I have posted a list too but off the top of my head here are some of my favourites.

- Beyond the Boundary by CLR James
- Every book by Cardus except his autobiography
- Pavillioned in Splendour, Cricket Bouquet, Cricketers of my Time by AA Thomson
- Cricket - The Great Bowlers (edit-John Arlott)
- The Jubilee Book of Cricket by Ranji
- A Lot of Hard Yakka by Simon Hughes
- The MCC Cricket Coaching Book
- The Art of Cricket by Bradman
- For the Love of the Game - John Lemmon (edit)
- A Walk to the Wicket - Dexter and Lemmon
- Sort of a Cricket Person - Swanton
- The Joy of Cricket - John Bright Holmes
- The Art of Captaincy - Brearley

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Thanks for that list Archie_Mac.

I havent read any barring two of them ! The two exceptions being Days in the Sun by Cardus and Australian Test Cricket 1877-1981 Now there are some more books to look for and buy :)

This topic has come up before and I have posted a list too but off the top of my head here are some of my favourites.

- Beyond the Boundary by CLR James
- Every book by Cardus except his autobiography
- Pavillioned in Splendour, Cricket Bouquet, Cricketers of my Time by AA Thomson
- Cricket - The Great Bowlers (edit-John Arlott)
- The Jubilee Book of Cricket by Ranji
- A Lot of Hard Yakka by Simon Hughes
- The MCC Cricket Coaching Book
- The Art of Cricket by Bradman
- For the Love of the Game - John Lemmon (edit)
- A Walk to the Wicket - Dexter and Lemmon
- Sort of a Cricket Person - Swanton
- The Joy of Cricket - John Bright Holmes
- The Art of Captaincy - Brearley
Some great authors on that list SJS. Did you read the review of AA Thomson's 'Cricket My Pleasure' on our site?

There are quite a few on your list I have not read, I recently picked up a copy of 'A Walk to The Wicket' . So I will have too read that one soon. Also have a copy of the Ranji book but have not read it as yet :)

You once told me about a couple of books to do with Indian cricket, I wrote them down but have now lost the list, can you remember them? I told you at the time that I had just finished 'A Corner of a Foreign Field' by Guha

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
archie mac said:
Archie

I don't seem to have too much in common with you in terms of fave books but these are my favourites (not in any particular order)

, Mike Brearley The Art of Captaincy - biography of one of the greatest captains
. Michael Slater Slats -unflinchingly truthful
. Jack Fingleton Batting from Memory - this reads like silk
. Ian Chappell Chappelli - my favourite - just about fallen apart from reading
. Bill O'Reilly 'Tiger' - really well written
. Ray Robinson On Top Down Under - a classic about Aus cricket Captains
. AG Moyes Bradman - my favourite Bradman book - written in 1948

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
archie mac said:
Is that the one by Ian Brayshaw?

I have it, but have not read it, will have to move it up the 'to read list'

Would you consider doing a review for the CW? :)
That's the one.

Nah look, I don't think i'm up to the standard CW expects from it's writers.

archie mac

International Coach
armchairumpire said:
Archie

I don't seem to have too much in common with you in terms of fave books but these are my favourites (not in any particular order)

, Mike Brearley The Art of Captaincy - biography of one of the greatest captains
. Michael Slater Slats -unflinchingly truthful
. Jack Fingleton Batting from Memory - this reads like silk
. Ian Chappell Chappelli - my favourite - just about fallen apart from reading
. Bill O'Reilly 'Tiger' - really well written
. Ray Robinson On Top Down Under - a classic about Aus cricket Captains
. AG Moyes Bradman - my favourite Bradman book - written in 1948
My list didnot include bios, as I have a seperate list on the CW cricket book site. My 12 top bios did include Batting From Memory, and On Top Down Under was in my top 12 but in the end I had to leave it out. I have read all of those (except the Moyes) and wrote a review of the Slater book. :)

Are you still going to write a review of the Fleming bio?

Last edited: