• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Bat Mystery

Visions

Cricket Spectator
I bought a cricket bat at Auction. The bat was donated by Jeff Thomson. It has the following names on it: Barry Richards, Graeme Pollack, Desmond Haynes, Joel Garner, Sunil Gavaskar, Geoff Boycott, Ian Chappell, Clive Lloyd, Jeff Thomson, Asif Iqbal, Ravi Shastri, Tony Greig, Richie Benaud, Richard Hadlee, Imran Khan, Michael Holding, Bob Willis, Lee Irvine, Kris Srikanth, Keith Stackpole and one other undecipheable signature.

The names and authencity were verified by Richard Hadlee but I have forgotten what era the bat was signed in and what for. I thought it was World Team 70's but cannot recall and I am unable to get on to Thommo or Hadlee to confirm.

Can anyone help??:unsure:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I thought you'd be calling him "Paddles" by now, James. ;)

And be careful he doesn't charge you for his time.

Visions

Cricket Spectator
Thanks James. Sir Richard may recall the Auction was at the Mooloolaba Masters Golf week held at Mooloolaba, Queensland every year. He is the NZ Captain. I thought I may be able to contact Sir Richard through his friend and mine, Glenn Buckland but Glenn has been away overseas for sometime and out of contact. Sir Richard originally provided me with the names and I understood that there are only 23 in the World held by each of those who signed the bat. Perhaps this can be confirmed as well. I am trying to insure it and attempting to gain its value.

Natman20

International Debutant
My friend knows a friend who has a friend whos is related to a person who has a step brother who I know is Superman on the inside. I'm sure i'll coax him into using supersonic ears or something. I've got to hear this. :unsure:

archie mac

International Coach
Well I hope once they do know they don't tell us straight away, but give us clues so we can see who can solve it first:)

Visions

Cricket Spectator
I'm trying to work out how to put a picture on this post so you can see it. But you still won't be able to hear.....

Visions

Cricket Spectator
Anybody know this signature...................

Here is a picture of the top part of the bat. We have identified in order from the top:
1.Barry Richards, 2.Graeme Pollock, 3.Desmond Haynes, 4.{Unknown ????}, 5.Joel Garner, 6.Sunil Gavaskar, 7.Geoff Boycott. 8. Ian Chappell......

Attachments

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
I tried but no success, make sure you let us know who he is:)

When I was a kid I was worried if I ever became a Test cricketer no one would be able to read my scrawl. After seeing those efforts I had nothing to worry about:laugh:

cpr

International Coach
Looking at it, my guess would be Farokh Engineer, part of the 1970 Rest of World Team.

Before searching for players as part of the team, i'd decided the first letter was definatly an F, last letter of first name looked like a h (didnt count on it, couldnt think of anyone who had F and h at the end!!)... surname anyones guess though

Farokh would certainly fit the first name though