• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Ball

dro87

U19 12th Man
Which cricket ball is the best? In italy we use or kookaburra balls( we get them from Australia) or unknown Indian/Pakistani balls...

Does anyone know what ball they use at Test/ODI level?

Cheers Leandro

howardj

International Coach
dro87 said:
Which cricket ball is the best? In italy we use or kookaburra balls( we get them from Australia) or unknown Indian/Pakistani balls...

Does anyone know what ball they use at Test/ODI level?

Cheers Leandro
Depends on what country, Leandro.

Here in AUstralia, as you alluded to, Im pretty sure they use Kookaburra.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
I've bought a few Duke balls off E-Bay in the past and they swing like crazy and keep their shine for ages, really good cricket balls. Although the swing can be hard to control as it's so over the top.

danish

U19 12th Man
In England they use Dukes Cricket balls, in India they use SG balls and in Australia they use Kookaburra Cricket balls. For some reason, in Pakistan they use Kookaburra balls, which is criticised as Kookaburra balls lose their shine and shape very quickly on the abrasive Pakistani wickets. As a result of this, in the first few overs of a test match, because of the big seam on the Kookaburra ball, the ball swings a lot, but after that, it is very difficult to get movement in the air and off the pitch because the nature of the pitch makes the seam deteriorate very quickly. This is not such a problem in Australia because the wickets are not as abrasive to the ball and therefore the ball keeps its shape, which allows bowlers to get swing for longer.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Kookaburra for mine because it encorages wrist-spin.

From a non-boased viewpoint, I think Dukes are probably the best.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've never heard of these SG balls until the last week.
Each ball has different characteristics, but it's tough to know exactly how any ball will behave in the many different conditions of outfield, air and pitch.
Dukes and Readers have been used extensively in England, Kookaburras in Australia.
Otherwise there's been a good deal of chopping-and-changing.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
33/3from3.3 said:
I have a typhoon ball from india
hard as a freking rock
we had one of them in the nets the other day....you just stood and through it onto the floor(indoor gym floor) as hard as possible and it bounced about 3 and a half foot =/

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have a Stanford County ball....but i only started bowling consistently well in the nets last week and i left it in my room so i can't really give much of a comment on it just yet...
but it does seem to pretty good at swinging

dro87

U19 12th Man
a big problem is that in italy you play on astroturf wickets, so the ball gets ruined heavily

danish

U19 12th Man
dro87 said:
a big problem is that in italy you play on astroturf wickets, so the ball gets ruined heavily
Are there many Italian Cricket players or are they mostly foreigners?