• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket and your lifestyle

Isura

U19 Captain
Tell us about how cricket fits into your daily routine and lifestyle. Stuff like reading this forums, playing on weekends, checking scores at work, whatever. How much time does this game take up in your life?

For me it is usually

Wake up
Watch any current matches I've recorded on PVR (about 1-1.5 hrs)
Get dressed
Do real work :laugh:
Take a break late in day to play addictive cricket game or read cricket web
Back to work
Sleep

Last summer I played a lot with my club, but work and laziness has precluded that habit.

howardj

International Coach
Good thread mate.

For me, it's CricketWeb on at work all day, and check in every hour or so and make the odd post (the key is to set your office up so the monitor is not facing your door!).

Then I like watching Test or ODI cricket on the TV, on Fox or free-to-air, whenever I get the chance.

I'm not big on surfing cricket websites or combing through scorecards though, nor do I play computer games.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Interesting thread.. I think my lifestyle dominates my cricket really.. I'll only give up any time if it's a big test match (like Eng v SA).. Since I've become a pro photographer I've had most of my summer weekends taken up, so have had to play more midweek cricket to fit it around.. Basically it means I carry a radio around everywhere, looking like more of a berk..

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For me, it's CricketWeb on at work all day, and check in every hour or so and make the odd post (the key is to set your office up so the monitor is not facing your door!).
Haha, exactly right.

stumpski

International Captain
I can't access the Interweb at work, but one thing I do before leaving in the morning is check page 340 on BBC teletext, to catch up on scores and overnight news. Tend to watch any match on Sky when I get home (as long as it's live), during Tests/ODIs will have radio on in kitchen while doing dinner/washing up etc. Usually have laptop on during games, causing me to miss most of the action - but at least they have replays.

Natman20

International Debutant
Wake up
PC on - check overnight scores county, international etc.
Might have a squizz at cw and comment if it interests me
Do other stuff but checkin newspaper site and scores regularly

Pretty much just check everytime I go on net. If NZ are playing I would make sure that no matter what i'd have some form of telling the score during games. Cell-phone internet thingy while at uni lectures or work! :laugh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wake up
PC on - check overnight scores county, international etc.
Might have a squizz at cw and comment if it interests me
Do other stuff but checkin newspaper site and scores regularly

Pretty much just check everytime I go on net. If NZ are playing I would make sure that no matter what i'd have some form of telling the score during games. Cell-phone internet thingy while at uni lectures or work! :laugh:
We live the same life.

Laurrz

International Debutant
On a weekday

Go to school libarary in the morn to check up on cricinfo and stuff (sooo sad i know and i get bagged for it a lot.... i can understand lol)

Grabbing 'the Age' from the bench and looking up cricket articles during class

Talking about it to my lankan mate a lot, getting distracted with what we're suppose to do

Come home, check cricinfo, CW, a few other forums very frequently on the computer

Watch any cricket game live on a streaming site which i am probably not allow to say, this is usually quite late after 12am..

the side effects
1) costing me a ****load of time which i could be using for more productive things
2) not a lot of sleep
3) stress, thinking about game situations, particularly when it involves Australia
4) getting bagged my rellies/friends lol

first 3 will probably lead me to getting a pretty crap ENTER i hope not :( (yr 12 score)

I think im among the saddest, coz i am THIS addicted to the game heh
ohhhh the summer holidays...... and the english summer kicking back watching the Ashes late at night on Foxtel (which i shall get after this year)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If Im at work or in the house then I am on CW.

I dont do other forums and the only other cricket related site I look at is cricinfo.

My location means I dont get to see all the games I would want, but if there is a Test or something I really want to catch then Ill use a stream.

FRAZ

International Captain
I play on the weekends (A street version) and may be I will put videos here some time soon . Till last year I was very regular in nets and I even played the league here but it's time consuming and I am busy now a days .
I come regularly on CW but I rather keep quite .

pasag

RTDAS
Forum, books, watching, playing, playing on PS2, talking with mates about it, Battrick, writing (although less of that these days), admin on this cricket site.

Hmm.

Laurrz

International Debutant
How did i forget Battrick rofl

spend heaps of times looking at squad managing PFL and what not

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pretty well invariably turn on the comp first thing when I'm not doing something of more importance (whatever that may be) and CW is pretty well invariably my first port-of-call.

Watch near enough any cricket match (note: cricket match, not Twenty20) going, apart from when it's mind-numbingly predictable (eg Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka) or occasionally when I turn off in disgust (eg when Shahid Afridi is somehow managing to score runs); can do this simualtaneously with computer-ing, so am usually posting on CW during such a thing. Or talking to one of the 89 CWers on my MSN.

Also read some cricket books (not that many in recent years mind) and watch old stuff wherever it's going.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I will watch any England match and any other good quality game on TV, including pretty much any county game. For big England or Sussex games I may take days off work to watch either at the ground or on TV. When I'm stuck at work I will listen on the radio or follow on cricinfo. Constantly.

I work as a barrister and followed the climax of the 2006 county season while I was in court - my fiancee was texting me with score updates which I was surreptitiously reading beneath the desk as the court hearing was in full swing.

If I come across a cricket game in the park I will always stop and watch, even if it's only for a few balls.

I visit cricinfo, the Sussex CCC messageboard (and in the last couple of weeks this bloody site, which I have only just discovered) many, many times a day. I read books, magazines, and Wisden on a pretty regular basis.

When I'm not thinking about anything else I am always thinking about cricket.

open365

International Vice-Captain
A year ago I used to play cricket for about 4 hours every single day when it wasn't raining, and given the amount of teams I was eligible to play for I got in around 3 games a week on average. When I wasn't playing it, I would be watching it, reading about it, or posting about it on the internet. And most of the time during summer I would just think about it constantly, like I would try and analyse where my batting technique during geography while staring out of the window and considering how feasible it would be to put a cricket pitch on the adjacent field, and stuff like that.

Nowadays i'm slightly less into the game and I've only netted twice so far this summer, but I probably watch it even more and when the test match is on TV I can't do anythin else in the day because I want to watch.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I will watch any England match and any other good quality game on TV, including pretty much any county game. For big England or Sussex games I may take days off work to watch either at the ground or on TV. When I'm stuck at work I will listen on the radio or follow on cricinfo. Constantly.

I work as a barrister and followed the climax of the 2006 county season while I was in court - my fiancee was texting me with score updates which I was surreptitiously reading beneath the desk as the court hearing was in full swing.

If I come across a cricket game in the park I will always stop and watch, even if it's only for a few balls.

I visit cricinfo, the Sussex CCC messageboard (and in the last couple of weeks this bloody site, which I have only just discovered) many, many times a day. I read books, magazines, and Wisden on a pretty regular basis.

When I'm not thinking about anything else I am always thinking about cricket.
Does your clerk know this?...................... and your instructing solicitors?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I've hidden it from my instructing solicitors so far. My clerks are well aware of where my true vocation lies...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol - well there are two words (apart from Sussex) I would have to tweak but that apart you have summarised my attitude to the game as well.

You must have enjoyed the Lanky game on sky a couple of weeks ago? - that had me really ducking and diving - but then I am a Lancastrian :laugh:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Argh it wasn't fun. And I got sunburned at Hove...

A really good game though - a great advert for the County Championship.