• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket and Education

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Actually i've heard quite flattering comments about cricketing attire. Obviously only in tests, no girl is attracted to fools in pyjamas dancing on a field.
Nah, all I've had is "why do you all wear white, what a stupid colour, you just get big grass stains everywhere."

Langeveldt

Soutie
Cricket is as class based in the UK (certainly the south west) as it is race based in South Africa.. I photographed both cricket and soccer at all age ranges and generally found that Private school = Cricket/Rugby and State school = Football.. The private school I went to didn't even offer Football, and we consistantly thrashed state school sides at cricket who were a lot older than us.. Perhaps it was just a problem related to my experiences in Somerset

krkode

State Captain
That is indeed odd. I would've thought Rugby has this perception of a "tough guy" sport where you get dirty, you get injured, etc. having all the features of a more dangerous contact sport. Whereas cricket has this perception of "gentleman's game".

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed round here they play Union in Private schools and league in state schools.

We occasionally used to play state schools at cricket in the Manchester Schools cup but it would invariably result is stupid scorelines like 18 all out and the like.

We did play football though and were okay but did no more than hold our own against the state schools when we were in the cup...seem to remember a semi and a final but also some early exits.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is indeed odd. I would've thought Rugby has this perception of a "tough guy" sport where you get dirty, you get injured, etc. having all the features of a more dangerous contact sport. Whereas cricket has this perception of "gentleman's game".
Rugby- a game for hooligans played by gentlemen. Football- a game for gentlemen played by hooligans.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
We occasionally used to play state schools at cricket in the Manchester Schools cup but it would invariably result is stupid scorelines like 18 all out and the like.

We did play football though and were okay but did no more than hold our own against the state schools when we were in the cup...seem to remember a semi and a final but also some early exits.
State Cricket??. Cant ever remember that happening, even before i went to MGS. Always inter-school.

The football teams are always strong, although i bit biased in selection during my time. Heard Elano visted this year all..

BoyBrumby said:
Have to say the quality of female fan at cricket is higher than football in my experience. Rugby Union the market lead for team sports tho, but horse racing miles ahead of anything else generally..
Got a point here. But at the end of the day, being a football star no matter if its a middle class or posch girl is always going to give you more forward with these hoes. (sluts as you guys would say).

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
State Cricket??. Cant ever remember that happening, even before i went to MGS. Always inter-school.
state school...as in not private :der:...they don't normally (or at least when i went they didn't) play against state schools in the normal fixtures but they do in things like the manchester shools cup which is also limited overs, all the other fixtures when i was there were time cricket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Got a point here. But at the end of the day, being a football star no matter if its a middle class or posch girl is always going to give you more forward with these hoes. (sluts as you guys would say).
Oh god

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The private/state school aspect is interesting and true.

My school didnt play cricket. Only football.

Any cricket that was learnt was through the club system which in Yorkshire is more developed than anythere in the UK (though Lancs and Durham are good as well).

All the mines, factories, unions etc ran large setup and people and their kids took part. They were important parts of the community. Many of these institutions dont exist any more but the sports clubs still do.

The club culture is amazing. It doesnt substitute for cricket in state schools but it is a viable and healthy alternative that is far stronger in poorer Northern areas.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
With my school being a Grammar School, but a state run one, we pretty much play all sports. We have really good Cricket, Rugby, Football and Basketball teams, though Football is a much lesser profile sport in our school.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My school was a state school but when it came to sport it just wanted to be a private one, Rugby Union was seen as the most important followed by cricket (the only sport i played for my school, very badly.) We had a decent Football team but it was not given the same atention as the Rugby team. Even more stupidly we have a Polo team and the main sport for girls was lacrosse. I always remember they used to say we were one of the best state school in the country at Lacrosse but they didn't seem to realise this was because we were the ONLY state school that played it.