• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

county points

slugger

State Vice-Captain
could some from the UK expalin the county points system and whether you think it works well.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I may get some of this wrong, but here goes:

12 points for a win
4 for a draw

Bonus points are scored for milestones reached in the first 130 overs of each team's first innings.

5 Batting bonus points are available, at:

3 Bowling bonus points, for 3, 6 and 9 wickets.

However I think the number of points for a draw is being cut to 3 from next season.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
They announced a change this weekend to 16 and 3 IIRC from 14 and 4

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally would remove the restriction on batting points (don't want anything that encourages batsmen to do anything other than play the ball on its merits) and put the bowling restriction to 100 overs (obviously want there to be some good reason to bowl a side out AQAP bar the obvious of "you get a lower total that way"). Would also prefer three batting points (300, 400 and 500) and five bowling (one for every two wickets) as this would recognise the fact that Test teams almost always need good bowlers more than good batsmen.

Some people don't like the idea of bonus points at all. And I certainly don't like such a vast disparity in win\draw points. For me it should be simple - 0 points for loss, A points for draw (whatever it requires to sufficiently outnumber bonus points) and Ax2 points for win. If bonus points were abolished completely it could easily just be 2 for a win, 1 for a draw.

pskov

International 12th Man
I think we should adopt the scoring for the Aussie state cricket where, rather than bonus points for reaching arbitrary totals batting and bowling, the side which has the lead after the first innings gets a couple of bonus points. Firstly it makes it much simpler to work out and secondly it eases the pressure on teams to produce roads at home so that they can fill their boots and get max batting points.

I would like to see a system along the lines of 8 points for a win and 4 points for a draw/tie with a 2 point bonus for first innings lead, meaning 10 points are always shared out each game. Makes it much easier to follow and work out permutations when coming near the end of the season.

Last edited:

chasingthedon

International Regular
I think we should adopt the scoring for the Aussie state cricket where, rather than bonus points for reaching arbitrary totals batting and bowling, the side which has the lead after the first innings gets a couple of bonus points. Firstly it makes it much simpler to work out and secondly it eases the pressure on teams to produce roads at home so that they can fill their boots and get max batting points.

I would like to see a system along the lines of 8 points for a win and 4 points for a draw/tie with a 2 point bonus for first innings lead, meaning 10 points are always shared out each game. Makes it much easier to follow and work out permutations when coming near the end of the season.
They used to do something similar back in the day in county cricket, whereby the team with the first innings lead in a drawn game got bonus points.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Since the County Championship started in 1890 there have been more than 30 changes in the way points were awarded - I still think they got it right the first time - deduct losses from wins and ignore draws - simple but effective

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There should be no points awarded for anything. All stats should be fed into a StatsGuru style computer program at the end of the season. All Stats involving Counties with non-first class standard players should be amended accordingly and all runs scored off bowlers from Bangladesh or Zimbabwe removed from the records completely. They should also remove any stats resulting from the presence of anyone who's Uncle Fred visited New Zealand Pre-War.