• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County Cricket - Rules for Overseas Players

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Can someone please tell me what the rulings are for overseas players in the county cricket competition.

I always assumed it was 1 per team, but having a look over the some of the County average for last season theres much more than one per team.

Take Derbyshire for example.

They have Michael di Venuto (Australia), Andrew Gait (South Africa) and Mohammad Ali (Pakistan). All three played 15 or more FC matches in 2002.

masterblaster

International Captain
Your allowed to have 2 overseas players as of this season.
But with Derbyshire, Andrew Gait possibly has a European Union passport, which qualified him as a domestic player, and not an overseas one.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Correct MB, he and Ali both had EU passports.

A lot of players did last year actually.

Also, lots of teams had more than one to cover for International call ups.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the overseas professionals for Derby for 2003 are Di Venuto and Astle - Ali also has a british passport

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Astle isn't able to take up his contract. The replacement hasn't been named yet.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Derbyshire will be disappointed cause Astle is starting to play well.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Derbyshire will be disappointed cause Astle is starting to play well.
Well the official report was that he had a knee injury which needed surgery and a season of county cricket wouldn't help.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Astle isn't able to take up his contract. The replacement hasn't been named yet.
The replacement was named over a week ago (for the first two months of the season) - I mentioned it in the India v Pakistan match report.

Shahid Afridi.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
the overseas professionals for Derby for 2003 are Di Venuto and Astle - Ali also has a british passport
Interesting story about Ali - he just turned up at the pre-season nets and said 'mind if I turn my arm over?'

Half a dozen deliveries and Derbyshire realised that he was QUICK!!!

He's a bit of a 'Dev', though - somewhat wayward on occasion but makes people jump about.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
The replacement was named over a week ago (for the first two months of the season) - I mentioned it in the India v Pakistan match report.

Shahid Afridi.
Well I didn't see any confirmation on the official site. Is he there for the whole season?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Reading Eddie's post, I presume he's there for the first 2 months of the season, but I don't know, I mean that might not be what he means by "(for the first two months of the season)"

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Reading Eddie's post, I presume he's there for the first 2 months of the season, but I don't know, I mean that might not be what he means by "(for the first two months of the season)"
It might mean that they've decided to keep him for the whole season as they are not being too definate about anything on the official site. It's rather interisting that you expect me to know what the post said when I didn't even see it...