• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

county cricket championship format

your favoured county cricket championship format

• 2 divi top league 8 teams bottom league 10 teams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 divisions of 6 teams in each division

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 3 conferences of 6 with play off to decide champions

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • other

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

stuarty

Cricket Spectator
there is talk of going to start each season starting in 2020 with 3 conferences of 6 teams with top two per conference forming division 1 each season with 6 teams in div 1 with winner of div 1 being crowded county champions each season.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whatever it is it's not going to involve playing FC cricket at a time when fast bowlers, spinners and steady batsmen are going to develop.

stuarty

Cricket Spectator
get Barry Hern of matchroom to come up with the optimum format as he is the best on revamping competitions need a revamp.
look what he did for snooker.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Two divisions split evenly 9 teams a-piece, every team playing each other home and away, 16 matches. Two up and two down. This was the system until 2016 until the ECB ballsed it up.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
Whatever the format, play the county championship during the proper English cricket season.

Kennedy has already been given a rough time here, quite needlessly; otherwise I would have added: also chuck that Burham (or is it Durham?) out of the competition.

FBU

International Debutant
Two divisions split evenly 9 teams a-piece, every team playing each other home and away, 16 matches. Two up and two down. This was the system until 2016 until the ECB ballsed it up.
Yes that is the format that I thought was the best. Spread evenly throughout the season, not this rubbish we have now, where players have to play in their 2nd XI. Trescothick, Bess, Davey, Overton, Leach, Hameed, Chanderpaul, Robson, Simpson, Finn etc.

stuarty

Cricket Spectator
Reminds me of Scottish football where between 1986 to 2000 the to flight league continually changed every 2/3 years between 10 teams and 12 teams before finally settling on 12 teams in the top flight.

the same will happen in county cricket until they eventually one year they finally settle on either 2 divisions of 9 or top league of 8 teams and bottom league of 10 teams.

no format is ideal but two divisions is the best that is going even if it has it's disadvantages as well as advantages.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

The lopsided division and 14 matches means each county misses two home games and - more importantly for the travelling supporter - two away games. No Lord's or Canterbury for me this year.

CasMcG24

U19 Vice-Captain
Being honest I would favor a three conference system split into three divisions South, Central and North each playing their own division home and away and then either the other teams once or selected fixtures like in the NFL.

CasMcG24

U19 Vice-Captain
The lopsided division and 14 matches means each county misses two home games and - more importantly for the travelling supporter - two away games. No Lord's or Canterbury for me this year.
You must like the silence of Lords... ? Never been to Canterbury.

stuarty

Cricket Spectator
quote "I love county cricket. But as a means of preparing England’s Test teams for flatter pitches abroad, county cricket isn’t up to the job".

quote "One solution would be regarded as too radical, but what the heck : 3 divisions of 6, with each team playing the other five in their division home and away; one up, one down.
That’s 10 games per team, in which every game counts.
Fast bowlers get a breather between matches, and can practise charging in at 90mph, not 82.
The members get to see a higher quality of cricket. Everyone is a winner".

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Change it to 5-6 teams so only the best players are playing First-class cricket and the standard will increase dramatically

stuarty

Cricket Spectator
Change it to 5-6 teams so only the best players are playing First-class cricket and the standard will increase dramatically
very good idea probably the optimum format but turkey's don't vote for Christmas so we are stuck with 18 teams in the county cricket championship so the best way to achieve this with 18 teams is to have 3 divisions of 6 teams in each division playing each other team in same division twice for 10 games per team with 1 up 1 down between the divisions. Premier; league 1 league 2 etc.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
We definitely need to look into a system whereby the best players play against each other; at present, any young players in D2 are being massively short-changed if they are hoping for international cricket. I am prepared to believe that 2 divisions has made the cricket more competitive in terms of promotion and relegation, but the standard of cricket played in D2 is a massive drawback in terms of player development.

I've long argued for some sort of regional league for the 4-day game, but leaving the counties to play the one-day tournaments and the 'B' league for 4-day games.

And obviously it would help to play the 4-day stuff in the summer instead of spring and autumn.

S.Kennedy

No no no.

That would basically make me cease to be a cricket fan! It would cut off the reason why I'm a cricket fan!!

And I wouldn't be the only one. All fans of county cricket would see their primary thing virtually destroyed.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

If they cut the championship fixtures further (we've already seen a reduction from 16 matches to 14) a lot of county members will simply not renew their memberships.