• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County Cricket braced for big shake up

chris.hinton

International Captain
Interesting, what are your thoughts?

From the Daily Telegrapth

County cricket is braced for the biggest shake-up in a generation amid fears that the 18 first-class sides could lose at least 20 per cent in their funding from the England & Wales Cricket Board.
As the financial fall-out from Covid-19 continues to escalate, counties are privately discussing a series of radical potential changes to the domestic game.
Areas understood to be up for discussion include:
  • Adopting a variant of the regional format of the Bob Willis Trophy as a replacement for the two division model of the County Championship which has been used since 2000
  • Creating a new 32-team domestic 50-over competition involving a number of the national counties
  • A reduction in the number of professional cricketers in the game and moving away from 12-month-a-year contracts for domestic players
  • The long-term future of 18 counties playing the first-class game, and the possibility of some moving to just playing limited overs cricket in the years ahead
The ECB are currently meeting with first-class counties to discuss the financial situation of each county, and the ECB themselves, which will inform discussions in the months ahead.
Each county currently receives around £3.5 million a year from the ECB, including the £1.3m a year they gain as part of the agreement to launch the Hundred. But the ECB is now consulting with counties over the future, and clubs are bracing themselves for a 20 per cent cut in their funding, which could see their annual provision from the ECB cut to around £2.8m.
“There are difficult decision ahead, which will force a review on what the game’s priorities are in the time of an existential threat,” said Richard Gould, the chief executive of Surrey.
To be ratified, any changes to the format of the domestic game would need the support of 12 of the 18 first-class counties.
Yet while financial pressures are a driving force behind the potential changes, there is a belief that the pandemic has provided the county game with an opportunity to reset.
“Everybody accepts that a review of what next season looks like is desired and all are happy to take part in that discussion,” said one county chief executive.Certainly there is a willingness to not just go with the status quo.
“This is a great opportunity to seize the moment and build on what looked like a write off season two months ago.”

Five questions that will determine the future of county cricket
How many professional cricketers can English cricket afford?
On a conference call with county representatives earlier this month, the ECB chairman Colin Graves posed a simple question: can the English game afford 400 professional cricketers?
Over the years ahead, the number is certain to be reduced. Dozens of the 136 professional cricketers out of contract at the end of the season will lose their jobs. With reducing total number of employees - both on and off the field - the easiest way for counties to cut costs, there will be smaller squads in England in the years ahead.
A more flexible employment model is also possible. Counties are discussing whether it is really necessary for all their players to be on 12-month-a-year contracts, or if these could be reduced to, say, eight months a year with players making up the shortfall by seeking out playing and coaching opportunities overseas.
What does the future of first-class cricket look like?
Two divisions have been used in the County Championship since 2000, a period that has coincided with a striking uplift in England’s Test fortunes. From 1980-2000, England won 5.6 Tests for every 10 they lost; since 2000, England have won 14 Tests for every 10 they have lost.
There is broad acceptance that two divisions in the County Championship have worked well. Yet the Bob Willis Trophy - played in three regional groups of six, with a Lord’s final - has also given a glimpse of another model. The regional model also involves significantly less travel - with some away teams even able to commute from home for away games - and so is cheaper.
While spectators have not been able to attend, viewing figures for the online streams that counties have used - a number have invested in extra cameras to previous seasons - have far exceeded expectations. Surrey’s home game with Middlesex attracted 764,000 views over four days - 66 times more than one Surrey County Championship home game in August last year, which attracted 11,500 views over four days.
For all the unique circumstances of this summer, so far the Bob Willis Trophy has informed the thinking of county decision-makers in several ways. First, it has shown the virtues of a competition in which all 18 counties can win, with second division counties appearing reinvigorated. Second - from an admittedly small sample size - it has suggested that the on-field gap between divisions may be less than thought: second division sides Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Middlesex have all begun impressively.
“It would be really good for the game if one of the second division teams manages to make it to the final,” says one county chief executive. “If that does happen it’s bound to cause some debate about what should we do next year.”
A simple model would be for the format of the Bob Willis Trophy to be modified, with each team playing the others in their group home and away before the season ends with semi-finals and a final - both played over five days to maximise the prospects of a result. This would guarantee each county 10 first-class games, from the current 14. This could potentially be expanded to, say, 12, with each county playing two games against sides from different regions, using a seeding system.
Will there continue to be 18 first-class counties?
Financial pressures have reopened the debate about whether 18 counties should continue to play first-class cricket. The reception to the Bob Willis Trophy - and the performances from less heralded counties - means that, at this stage, there is little doubt that there will be 18 first-class counties next summer. But whether there will still be 18 sides playing County Championship cricket in, say, 2025 remains a very real question.
Any county that declared they no longer wished to play the first-class game would feel their status downgraded. But it is possible that this perception could change if, say, any county making this decision was guaranteed long-term involvement in the Twenty20 Blast and Royal London One-Day Cup and retained a good chunk of their funding. Such a model could become attractive to some counties, who would retain their lucrative fixtures and cut their costs; it would be cheaper for the ECB, too.
“All want to play first-class cricket,” says one county chief executive. “Whether they can afford to is another matter.”
What is the future of domestic 50-over cricket?
The original fixture list for 2020 featured the Royal London One-Day Cup, the domestic 50-over competition, being played alongside the Hundred. It was planned that the 18 first-class counties would compete against each other in two groups of nine, while missing their players selected for the Hundred draft - a full 11 players, in Sussex’s case.
Rather than a competition that could find it difficult to shake the feel of being a glorified county second XI competition, there is a desire to create a tournament with a fresher and more dynamic feel. The tournament is seen as a way to engage parts of the country who have previously been ignored by the first-class game.
National countries (previously called minor counties) played against first-class sides in one-day cricket from 1964 until 2005, before being excluded when the county game was restructured. Now, serious thought is being given to allow national counties to compete in the same competition as first-class counties once again.
Preliminary proposals for the future of the Royal London One-Day Cup are understood to involve 32 teams in four groups of eight, with leading teams then progressing to the knockout stages. Alongside the 18 first-class counties, there would be a number of national counties and potentially also representative teams from Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands, who were all previously involved in the county game.
The intention is to use the One-Day Cup to make domestic cricket a prominent local event in areas that do not currently host first-class teams, by pitting national counties against local first-class teams - for instance, Cornwall could host Somerset and Cumbria could host Lancashire. Such a competition would create the possibility of upset victories and could be billed as cricket’s version of the FA Cup. It might also unearth new talent previously ignored by the first-class game.
And what about the Hundred?
Ian Watmore, who will take over from Colin Graves as ECB chairman next month, plans to review all of the governing body’s expenditure, and spending on the controversial Hundred - the new eight-team, 100-ball-a-side tournament - will not be exempt. But there is a broad feeling that Covid only makes one of the central aims of the Hundred - to reduce the ECB’s reliance upon international cricket to generate revenue - more important. Aspects of spending on the Hundred - like player salaries, reduced by 20 per cent for 2021 - will be trimmed. But there is absolutely no indication of the Hundred being scrapped before it is launched.

Chubb

International Regular
On the minor counties playing the first class ones, it sounds more like a return to the Benson and Hedges Cup than something new, and the idea that Cornwall (of course it's bloody Cornwall they use as an example) would compete against Somerset is dumb. Same for Devon. Devon for cricket purposes might as well be part of Somerset anyway. Every cricket person from where I grew up follows Somerset.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
18 County teams has always meant there were plenty of spuds playing first class cricket, and a pretty big dilution of talent. Unless you've got 2 or 3 very good overseas players per team that means a much lower standard of competition compared to other domestic comps. But I've always figured that if the money is there then I guess it's justified but here we go. Could be interesting, would be a pretty big break from tradition.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like the idea of playing in those zonal clusters or whatever. If they can do that for all 3 formats, they will have a decent enough FC set up. Perhaps let top 2 from each zone qualify instead of 1 and have a super 6, as it were, then play semis and finals?

tony p

First Class Debutant
You know what might work, two groups of 9, playing each other home & away, with a 50 over white ball competition and the T20 blast.

I've watched a lot of county cricket on my travels to England over the years, and the standard is fine, a couple of average teams, similar to South Australia, with pretty decent crowds compared to here, nice variety of outgrounds, different conditions which is good.

Whenever England do poorly, county cricket is to blame, when they do well, it's because they have central contracts and the Test players hardly play, not that players are getting a good grounding at county level.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think this is the start of 6 franchises Playing T20 & 4 day competition. With all countries (Including Minor Counties) having a national league (3-4 divisions) of 40-50 Over competition.

As for the current proposals, The Bob Wills Trophy format i would like to ditch, It's working currently due to lack of cricket in April-July, County Championship as 2 divisions is working, As for Minor Counties involved in RLC, Yes they should never have left the Natwest trophy over a decade ago.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Having had a think here's what i would suggest

County Championship

- Super League of 6 counties

(Essex, Somerset, Hampshire, Kent, Yorkshire, Surrey)

- 12 other counties in 2 regions with playing each other twice (Possible of 2 extra matches)

North: Warwickshire, Nottinghamshire, Lancashire, Derby, Worcester, Durham
South: Gloucester, Glamorgan, Northants, Leicester, Middlesex, Sussex,

Winner of each region gets promoted

T20 Blast

- Have the same as 2019 format, No other changes as that does work well

50 over cup

-
Include best Minor Counties (11 Sides) , A Netherlands, Scotland, Ireland xis
- 32 teams
- 8 groups of 4 (6 matches)
- Knockout from the Last 8

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't contribute at first as there was so much detail in the proposal, some of which I liked, some I didn't. And I must admit to mixed feelings about our current domestic structure. On the one hand, I love the amount of cricket that it generates in a normal season and the amount of history behind the CC and each of the 18 counties. On the other hand, I don't think it's conducive to producing world class cricketers and I have been know to get grumpy when our national team reflects that.

For all the talk of our test team improving after two divisions were introduced in 2000, that was also when central contracts were introduced, so it's not as clear cut as the original piece suggested. I still think that the better players are spread too thinly across the 18 counties to ensure a high enough standard of domestic cricket, especially so for players emerging in second division sides. I also think that relegation can be unfair where a side has lost its better players for much of the season, and I suppose missing out on promotion too, although that's probably rarer. OK, I'm biased about this due to how it affects Surrey at present, but Yorkshire experienced the same thing a few years ago and may even have been relegated as a result. And there have maybe been other examples where a side was without their best player for much of the season and missed out as a result. To be fair, the currently proposed increase in the number of teams in D1 may alleviate that a bit.

I quite like the idea of some counties only playing one-day cricket. If I had my way, I'd go further than that and have all of them only playing one-day cricket and combine counties for the four-day competition which would then only involve one division. Lack of promotion and relegation doesn't seem to have harmed the domestic system in other countries that spring to mind. We would then have the better players all taking part in the same league, which should improve standards. I know that's not popular with lots of folks, but I'm afraid they're wrong.

As for the one-day tournaments, one 50 over knock out cup would be fine. Maybe include the minor counties. The group stages of the Twenty20 competition should only see each side play each other once, which I think is how it started out; home and away adds unnecessary congestion to the season. And obviously the 100 is a complete waste of time.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Most of these lavish shakes up bite the dust early. Each County has members who want their cricket. Some only playing one day cricket or combining First Class sides into regions isn't happening.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Here is the latest on Changing the English Domestic game. And to be fair it looks interesting

This is from the Daily Telegraph

County cricket is poised for its most radical changes in a generation, with the County Championship set to be played in three conferences of six, culminating in an annual final at Lord’s.
Telegraph Sport revealed earlier this month that the success of the Bob Willis Trophy was leading to a push to replace the two-division Championship with an annual competition in which all 18 first-class counties could win. Such a structure is seen as a way to revive interest in the domestic first-class game.
The new format would entail:
  • Three conferences of six, with each team playing the others in the conference home and away
  • The top two teams in each conference would proceed to Division One, where they would play the top two teams from the other two conferences. Other teams would advance to Division Two and Three
  • All counties would continue to play at least 14 Championship games - the same figure as in 2019
  • The top two teams in Division One would then meet in the five-day final at Lord’s - for which it is hoped that England players would be available - which would become the showpiece of the domestic first-class game
A conference call between chief executives from the 18 counties on Thursday revealed very strong support for this model, which is proposed in a draft document circulated to county chief executives by the Professional Game Group, a body that represent the county game. The restructuring is viewed as the best way to ensure the vibrancy - and long-term viability - of all 18 counties.
Chief executives are now giving feedback, with a view to agreeing a final proposal in a matter of days. The changes would then need to be agreed by the ECB’s cricket committee - which is not anticipated to be a problem - and ratified by at least 12 of the 18 counties. It is anticipated that the restructuring will now be confirmed by early October, allowing the domestic fixture list to come out in November as normal.
Each season, the 18 teams in the County Championship would be divided into three conferences of six, and seeded based upon their performances in the previous season. For the first iteration, the conferences would be based upon finishing positions in the 2019 County Championship, with this option set to be preferred to a regional model previously considered. The conferences would be designed to be of equal strength - so the top-ranked team in the previous year would be in conference one, the second in conference two, the third in conference three and then the fourth in conference one, and so on.
The top two teams in each conference would advance to Division One. They would carry forward their results against the other side to advance from their conference and then play a game each against the other four teams to advance to Division One. An identical structure would be used for teams advancing to Division Two and Three.
While only Division One would have a final, prize money would be designed to give fixtures in Division Two and Three meaning, with the bottom four teams in Division Three receiving no prize money at all.
The reforms are seen as a way to reinvigorate the English first-class game. It is hoped that the system would keep alive interest in all 18 first-class counties and discourage local players from leaving for bigger counties - the draft proposal references reducing agents’ power by removing the perception of Division Two as a “graveyard” - while maintaining a best v best element.
The annual five-day Lord’s final is considered essential. This would begin in late September but could culminate in October. It would generate new interest in the county game, with the hope that England’s schedule will allow their leading Test players to appear in this game.
The proposals for the final are that the team who finished second in Division One would need to win to lift the Championship title, with the top team in Division One lifting the trophy in the event of a draw. In the conferences and divisions, the system of bonus points is likely to revert to that used in 2019.
The proposed schedule envisages the 10 conference games per county being played from April until the end of June, with the T20 Blast - played in two regional groups of nine - beginning in late May. The T20 Blast would then finish in mid-July, with the Royal London One-Day Cup played alongside the Hundred until late August. There remains a long-term ambition to involve the national counties in the One-Day Cup, as Telegraph Sport first revealed, but - partly due to Covid-19 - the competition will be played in two groups of nine next season.
The knockout stages of the T20 Blast would then be played in late August, before the three divisions of the Championship were played in September, with this segment of the competition likely to be marketed under the moniker ‘Race to Lord’s’.
Attention has also been given to how to ‘Covid-proof’ the 2021 domestic season. Telegraph Sport understands that two potential season structures have been prepared - one if crowds of at least 50 per cent are permitted before next April, and one if they are still not.
In the second scenario, the domestic fixture list would be revised so that the T20 Blast does not begin until August, maximising the chances of more fans being able to attend games. Under these proposals, finals day of the T20 Blast could be played at the very start of October as it is this year, when finals day is staged on October 3. If Covid-19 remains a major issue next summer, the regional format of this year’s Bob Willis Trophy could be retained in the conference stage of the domestic first-class competition.

tony p

First Class Debutant
The problem is that the game is very tribal, particularly with spectators.

Despite the fact that one day cricket & the blast make more money, most members and cricket fans are more interested in the first class game, I know as a Kent supporter, the championship is more important, the other formats quickly drift from my mind when they are completed.

I think the majority of players still see the pinnacle at domestic level as winning the county championship, ask any Somerset player or fan.
I personally don't see any county putting their hand up and saying that they only want to play one day cricket, and foregoing first-class status, I actually think there would be a massive public backlash if it happened.

If you are talking on recent performances over the last 2 or 3 years, Nottinghamshire should be told you are just playing one day cricket, because their championship performances have been absolute crap for the money they have.

Can you imagine Somerset & Gloucestershire joining forces, it will never happen

And the less said about the Hundred, the better, a competition that was not needed because of the complete lack of promoting a successful T20 blast competition that is loved by fans & players, that gets very good crowds.

Chubb

International Regular
The Hundred is based on a series of patronising elitist assumptions about what "the public" want to see. All they had to do was put the Blast on BBC, but no, the oiks can't understand it so they have to make up a bull**** version of cricket that's nicely dumbed down for us unwashed masses.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I think we need a competition on terrestrial TV, the problem is sky is not going to let the blast go. The odd game on bbc isn't going to bring in new players or audience it has to be from start to finish the same time each day on the same channel like the ipl is over here.
If it was just as easy as putting the blast on the bbc I'm sure they would have just done that

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think we need a competition on terrestrial TV, the problem is sky is not going to let the blast go. The odd game on bbc isn't going to bring in new players or audience it has to be from start to finish the same time each day on the same channel like the ipl is over here.
If it was just as easy as putting the blast on the bbc I'm sure they would have just done that
T20 Blast should have a number of games on BBC