• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County Championship- Where are they from?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, they are the boundaries I'm familiar with. Don't really understand what you mean re "Cheshire gets thrown in for free."

I'm a Cheshire boy as per the old counties, as is Ian Botham. Never ever consider myself as being from Cheshire, though
I mean that despite being an historic County in its own regard, it gets lumped in with Lancashire. Cant think of any others that incorporate other Counties like this.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I get ya. Does that mean if Richard's theory of players only playing for their home counties came to fruition you'd let Botham play for Lancs? Or myself, if I wasn't useless :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Population of Lancs is 1.5 million, population of East & West Sussex is 1.5 million

Yes I cheated and used new Lancs and old Sussex, :ph34r:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Population of Lancs is 1.5 million, population of East & West Sussex is 1.5 million

Yes I cheated and used new Lancs and old Sussex, :ph34r:
We have so much in common! Both have had rain-ruined seasons, both are staring down the barrel of relegation and neither of us has a Test ground :dry:

Langeveldt

Soutie
I mean that despite being an historic County in its own regard, it gets lumped in with Lancashire. Cant think of any others that incorporate other Counties like this.
Somerset and Avon? (when it existed).. Trescothick being from Keynsham, and us playing games at Bath.. But then again, I guess Gloucestershire played games at Bristol as well

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We have so much in common! Both have had rain-ruined seasons, both are staring down the barrel of relegation and neither of us has a Test ground :dry:
You know it's probably a good job that it rained so hard on 9th August Mr Z given that Lanky are clearly a Day 4 team this year - without those four points you'd be dangerously close to those tykes

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Rayner is always a case that's puzzled me, as I've never heard his full story. Is he just a case of his British parents being in Germany when he was born or is he actually of German extraction?
OK I've checked. He has British parents. His father is a Colonel in the British Army and a Sussex fan through and through. So Ollie's German birth should be regarded as an unfortunate accident rather than anything else.

fredfertang

So he's as much a man of Sussex as Lord Hawke was a Yorkshireman - excellent news - he looks like a quality player to me - let's hope the Martlets don't go down - wouldn't want that holding him back!

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep he's a good prospect - he's bowled well this season, and can bat.

There are three promising young spinners at Sussex (Rayner, Beer, Smith) and so the replacement for Mushy next season is likely to be a fast bowler. Quite possibly Mo Sami. Although my view is that if Mendis is on the market we should bid the farm on him (I read somewhere that Sussex, Lanky and Slurrey may be interested in signing him).

fredfertang

Yep he's a good prospect - he's bowled well this season, and can bat.

There are three promising young spinners at Sussex (Rayner, Beer, Smith) and so the replacement for Mushy next season is likely to be a fast bowler. Quite possibly Mo Sami. Although my view is that if Mendis is on the market we should bid the farm on him (I read somewhere that Sussex, Lanky and Slurrey may be interested in signing him).
I thought Sussex were minted? What happened to Mr Cama's millions?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought Sussex were minted? What happened to Mr Cama's millions?
We're as poor as church mice. Cama's millions, or rather the interest they generate, are keeping the club afloat but there's a massive operating loss each year. Hopefully there will be some ground improvements if planning permission is ever granted but we can't afford a massive Test (or ex-Test) ground, let alone hanging flower baskets to make it pretty.

fredfertang

We're as poor as church mice. Cama's millions, or rather the interest they generate, are keeping the club afloat but there's a massive operating loss each year. Hopefully there will be some ground improvements if planning permission is ever granted but we can't afford a massive Test (or ex-Test) ground, let alone hanging flower baskets to make it pretty.
How does that work then? Can't you break the trust and get at the underlying capital?