• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County Championship- Where are they from?

Langeveldt

Soutie
I thought he might be, but it was worth a shout when his name translates to "French".
French names are common in SA.. As France had a stake in SA at one time I'm guessing thats why.. Cronjé, du Plessis, de Villiers, du Preez, Fourie, Olivier, Joubert, du Toit, Marais, Roux, Rossouw, Theron etc.

Top study Goughy.. So there are almost enough South Africans playing cricket in the championship in England to fill SA's entire Franchise system..

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
You're only half succeeding :)

Yorkshire's numbers are pretty impressive, I have to admit. What's most impressive is how many of them were evidently desperate to leave the place!
Yorkshire is by far the largest county though, with the biggest population I'd imagine, seeing as London is split into two counties..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
French names are common in SA.. As France had a stake in SA at one time I'm guessing thats why.. Cronjé, du Plessis, de Villiers, du Preez, Fourie, Olivier, Joubert, du Toit, Marais, Roux, Rossouw, Theron etc.
I think it was the Huguenots (the French protestants) fleeing persecution who are responsible for the preponderance of francophone surnames in SA.

Interestingly, you never seen French rugby players with any of the popular "French" South African surnames.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yorkshire's numbers are pretty impressive, I have to admit. What's most impressive is how many of them were evidently desperate to leave the place!
When you are stuck behind International cricketers, its best to leave and ply your trade at a County that produces a decent cricketer once a generation and is desperate for talent.

Yorkshire is by far the largest county though, with the biggest population I'd imagine, seeing as London is split into two counties..
I believe Lancs (the old def that cricket still uses) has a large population.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Id be embarrassed for any County with less than 10 players listed.

It means they couldnt even get a team out of local born players + an overseas player.

Id seriously look at their relevance in modern English cricket. I wouldnt use this as a sole criteria but if a County is getting massive ECB subsidies and it only contributes a handful of players to the whole county scene then Id be asking questions.

The Takers
Code:
Sussex			9
Hampshire		9
Somerset		8
Derbyshire		8
Gloucestershire		6
Leicestershire		5
Northamptonshire	5
Worcestershire		5

I'm not convinced that number of players being born in the county is vital. If, say, Worcs are able to play & develop English cricketers from wherever they might have originated, then that's fine by me.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not necessarily, given the density of population in the 2 London counties compared to GOC.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All Counties will have similar. Its swings and roundabouts.
All the same, I'd like to take as many of those swings and roundabouts out of this particular playground as possible. You didn't answer my question first time so I'll post it again: would you be able to list the players born in each county\overseas-country?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
All the same, I'd like to take as many of those swings and roundabouts out of this particular playground as possible. You didn't answer my question first time so I'll post it again: would you be able to list the players born in each county\overseas-country?
Nah, far too big a job. Its 400+ players

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right. I was wondering whether you were notating them down as you went. Obviously I'd not expect you to go through them all a second time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Despite being 19 times the size Yorkshire has less than twice the count Lancs does, and let's be honest there are better football and rugby league teams in Lancs than there are Yorks, so more competition. You're of course not it's Lancashire doesn't wash with me :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, they are the boundaries I'm familiar with. Don't really understand what you mean re "Cheshire gets thrown in for free."

I'm a Cheshire boy as per the old counties, as is Ian Botham. Never ever consider myself as being from Cheshire, though