• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Countries with the most overseas born International players over the years??

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Back on topic - Norway must have the record. Just look at this squad!

* Syed Munawar Ahmed (captain)
* Aamir Waheed
* Abdual Hamid Shaheen
* Mehtab Afsar
* Monim Abdul
* Aziz Ataul
* Majid Zia Butt
* Mohamad Shamoon Chaudhry
* Mohamad Zeeshan Ali
* Shahid Ahmed
* Shahid Mahmood
* Shahzad Ahmed
* Zaheer Ashiq
* Zeeshan Shahzad Siddiqui

Lot of Scandinavian-sounding names, isn't it! ;)

(yes, I know we were talking about international teams, but hey...claim whatever record you can ;))
Excellent stuff. It was news to me that Norway even had a cricket team. Who do they play against?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
wpdavid said:
Excellent stuff. It was news to me that Norway even had a cricket team. Who do they play against?
Well, they're due to play a tournament in Belgium this summer - against other European affiliates (main ones include Belgium, Croatia, Austria, Malta, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Finland). Not sure how big it'll be this year, though. They won that tournament 2 years ago (extending their win streak to 16 - they were unbeaten for the first four years of cricket), qualifying for the Euro B championship in Belgium (yes, that one too!). Played decently there, got swamped by Italy and France, gave Germany a fight, and trounced Gibraltar and Israel. Pretty impressive for a country with two cricket grounds and a 15-team league!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wpdavid said:
We probably didn't have many better options in the mid-1980's from what I remember. Standards in the CC weren't high, as can be guaged by the relatively low standard of players who first appeared for the test side in the decade as a whole. Botham was a long way from being a complete disaster in the mid80's to be fair. Even in the 1984 WI blackwash I think he was second in our batting averages behind Lamb, who had managed those three hundreds. He then had a very good series against Aus in 1985. After having a complete nightmare in the WI and missing most of the 1986 home tests due to his drugs ban, he made significant contributions to the 2 tests we won in Aus during 1986/87 before effectively bowing out with an ineffectual series at home to Pakistan.

When people say that Botham went on for too long, it's easily forgotten that he only played eight tests over a five year period after the 1987 home series against Pakistan until his final appearances in 1992. Those last two tests were a real pity, I thought. It was obvious that he was past it, and the Pakistanis were far too good to be worried about his reputation. Instead, we just had the sad sight of a once great player now out of his depth.
I'd often heard that the 1986\87 Ashes was "his last good tour" so I thought it'd be interesting to look at his record before that... and I was amazed to find-out that it still wasn't that good for someone held in such high esteem, and that he'd played so few Tests afterwards. Then I looked deeper, found he'd started to be troubled by his back in 1982\83... and lo-and-behold, his record before then is truly breathtaking. Still, in the summer of 1983 his batting wasn't half bad - I guess it outlasted his bowling by a year. I even heard a casual slanging-match where Beefy mentioned David Gower's fielding and he referred to chasing leather against Pakistan in 1987 and Beefy said "yeah, I know, I went for the most runs ever conceded in Test-cricket..." (not strictly true, but I can understand how he'd have felt!)
Perhaps a better reflection is his batting before 1983\84 and his bowling before 1982\83.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I'd often heard that the 1986\87 Ashes was "his last good tour" so I thought it'd be interesting to look at his record before that... and I was amazed to find-out that it still wasn't that good for someone held in such high esteem, and that he'd played so few Tests afterwards. Then I looked deeper, found he'd started to be troubled by his back in 1982\83... and lo-and-behold, his record before then is truly breathtaking. Still, in the summer of 1983 his batting wasn't half bad - I guess it outlasted his bowling by a year. I even heard a casual slanging-match where Beefy mentioned David Gower's fielding and he referred to chasing leather against Pakistan in 1987 and Beefy said "yeah, I know, I went for the most runs ever conceded in Test-cricket..." (not strictly true, but I can understand how he'd have felt!)
Perhaps a better reflection is his batting before 1983\84 and his bowling before 1982\83.
His back wasn't his only problem in 1982/83. Have you seen the size of his gut by then? The Aus fans who released a pig onto the Sydney (I think) outfield with "Botham" written on one side and "Hemmings" on the other weren't far off the mark. That tour marked the start of a 12 month period when he really wasn't very impressive as a test player. By the following winter, his brain seemed to be ailing him as well judging by his bowling in the infamous tour of NZ. There's a piece on that in the latest TWC if you're interested. His batting was rarely impressive, despite two good hundreds against NZ (one home and one away). My impression from 1982/83 to 1983/84 was and remains of someone who had become disenchanted with life as an England cricketer and who, even allowing for his back, allowed his game to deteriorate alarmingly. After opting out of the 1984/5 India tour, he came back quite well for a while. I think he took about 30 wickets in the 1985 Ashes series, so even then he was still capable of turning his arm to good effect when he was prepared to stay fit and use his head.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wpdavid said:
His back wasn't his only problem in 1982/83. Have you seen the size of his gut by then?
Yeah, of course.
Even someone who's got only a basic grasp of biology and bowling biomechanics like me can tell they're connected.
Exactly as they were with Flintoff - overweight, too much strain on the back, back-problems.

angst2009

Cricket Spectator
Being born abroad is meaningless - people travel on work. There is a huge difference between someone born abroad who returns to England as a child with or without getting nationality of country of birth (i.e. Strauss who moved back with British parents to the UK at the age of 6) and, say, Pietersen who is clearly South African and became eligible through dodgy rules. It is the same difference between Andrew Symonds and Keppler Wessels. Geraint Jones is hardly Papuan - if anything he is Australian or Welsh - learned his trade in Aus so I would have him as Australian for these purposes.

Australia have had 21 players born overseas play for them as follows:

ENGLAND (10): Charles Bannerman, John Hodges, Tom Kendall, William Midwinter, Percy McDonnell, William Cooper, Henry Musgrove, Hanson Carter, Tony Dell and Andrew Symonds.
SCOTLAND (1): Archie Jackson.
IRELAND (2): Tom Horan, Tom Kelly.
PAKISTAN (1): Usman Khawaja
SOUTH AFRICA (1): Kepler Wessels.
NEW ZEALAND (3): Tom Groube, Clarrie Grimmett and Brendon Julian.
INDIA (2): Bransby Cooper and Rex Sellers.
SRI LANKA (1): Dav Whatmore.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Last year when Buttler debuted against India there was no SA born English cricketer in the team.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So many? what the heck? I miss-spelled 'Pietersen's' name over 10 years ago :p
Hussain too ;)

The ironic thing is my phone auto corrected your forum name making me make an error with your name in my post! Lol.