• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could Asif have been a TEST ATG of Pakistan?

Could Asif have been one of Pakistan's ATG?

• Yes

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Muhammad Amir anyway

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

slowfinger

International Debutant
I want you to see this video first : Muhammad Asif - King of Swing

It seems like his control of the ball was almost perfect, his game plan seemed impecable, he got just as many batsmen out through out thinking the batsman as he did through unplayable deliveries. It wasn't like he swung the ball 10 inches, or he bowled 85+ mph, he did neither, but there was always a threat, something in his arsenal. that kept him one step ahead of the batsman.

His average varies from 31 against England to 19 against Sri Lanka, which shows that he can sometimes struggle against more affluent teams, but strangely enough on flatter pitches (Sri Lanka, South Africa etc) he seems to take more wickets, apart from in Pakistan, which has let his average down somewhat.

But number crunching apart, the bowler that has me so confused it this guy, it seemed like he had it all. the skill was there, the fitness was there, the Board was allowing him to play but still he got into controversy after controversy, which speaks volumes about his character. How come his love for cricket didn't come first? It makes me very sad that he took the other side of life, his span so similar and typical of Pakistani's themselves, madly talented, but nowhere near hard working enough. Now he finds himself banned, at the age of 31, with seemingly no international cricket left.

My question remains though, had he, after starting in 2005, if he kept away from controversy, till now, 2014, been a legend, or close to? He would have had 9 years of cricket, possibly close to 70 or 80 games, ample time to adapt his game, or do you think he would have wilted? Amongst our best bowlers in Waqar and Wasim, possibly even Shoaib Akhtar, he was evidently up there in terms of talent, and ability, his pace aside, he was soooooo talented, im not even joking, it was disgusting how good his control was. So do you think he could have been one of the best? I think definitely.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
He certainly had the ability to be the fourth greatest Pakistani fast bowler after Imran, Wasim and Waqar.

Teja.

Global Moderator
The best thing about Asif was that he was still a massive threat bowling at 125-130 km/h even with the ball not seaming much due to how accurate he was. Fantastic to watch too.

If Asif is not the most talented bowler I've seen since I've been seriously watching test cricket (post 2004), he's up there. A bloody shame.

viriya

International Captain
I remember when he came into the scene he had a weird deliver that had everyone confused.. Michael Holding kept asking him how/what he does and he kept saying generic things like "have to keep the batsman guessing!".. he was definitely one of the most skilled fast bowlers I've ever seen..

Amir on the other hand still has a chance to play - he can still potentially salvage a very good career - I think it's harsh to ban a teenager for life (if that is what ends up happening).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Is it bollocks. He was corrupt and life bans are the only way this sort of thing will be removed from the game.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I think Asif could have been the greatest Pakistani bowler ever. I have never seen anyone seam the ball more than Asif.

the big bambino

International Captain
For mine Asif's penetrative edge was an ability to seemingly make the ball come really quickly off the pitch. Similar to (but better than) Philander. That aspect of his bowling made the time a batsman had to adjust for his swing and seam that much more acute. Wonderful bowler but hopefully never see him play again. I can understand Marc's attitute toward Aamir but I think he can be forgiven due to his youth at the time of his cheating and would be ok with him getting a second chance.

the big bambino

International Captain

His average varies from 31 against England to 19 against Sri Lanka, which shows that he can sometimes struggle against more affluent teams, but strangely enough on flatter pitches (Sri Lanka, South Africa etc) he seems to take more wickets, apart from in Pakistan, which has let his average down somewhat.

Saffy pitches flat? Probably the most seam friendly (and for very good reasons) in the world. Asif's success there is easy to understand.

subshakerz

International Coach
Asif from 2006-2007 was a demon and had all the ingredients of the best seam bowlers. After returning from injury though, it was clear he had lost some pace and nip. On wickets with some life, he was dangerous, but he could be negotiated on flatter wickets though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Man I miss this guy. Fav bowler of recent times along with Shoaib (cheating/drama queen Pakistani fast bowlers ftw)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Despicable though he was, the guy was undeniably a brilliant bowler. The way he used those wrists and got that crazy seam movement was a treat to watch.

There was a ball he bowled to VVS in the Akmal match at Karachi that I'll always remember. Pitched outside off and seemed back in a mile to bowl him. Twas incredible

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could have been up there with the best bowlers Pakistan have had. Certainly had the ability and cricketing brain, just lacked a brain off the field.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Despicable though he was, the guy was undeniably a brilliant bowler. The way he used those wrists and got that crazy seam movement was a treat to watch.

There was a ball he bowled to VVS in the Akmal match at Karachi that I'll always remember. Pitched outside off and seemed back in a mile to bowl him. Twas incredible
Yeah, that's the delivery that comes to mind when I think of Asif's bowling skills.

the big bambino

International Captain
The banned players are back in early 2016 I think. Asif will be 32 and its possible they could field Asif Aamir Irfan and Junaid. You'd wolf whistle at the ***iness of such an attack. Though in reality I hope Asif never plays again. Replacing him with Ajmal would still make it pretty special.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
The banned players are back in early 2016 I think. Asif will be 32 and its possible they could field Asif Aamir Irfan and Junaid. You'd wolf whistle at the ***iness of such an attack. Though in reality I hope Asif never plays again. Replacing him with Ajmal would still make it pretty special.
I wouldn't call Irfan ***y. The man can barely stand up.

the big bambino

International Captain
He's prone to injury but his hardly unique for that fault. But come on AN: The pace, bounce and swing of Aamir, Irfan and Juniad doesn't excite you? They are all different styles of bowlers and being left armers adds to the charm. Throw in Ajmal and its some attack though I do agree Irfan's fragility will probably mean they wont meet on the park.