• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congratulations Yasir Arafat on 5 wickets in 6 balls

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Yasir Arafat has equalled a unique record/achievement by taking 5 wickets in 6 balls over 2 innings !! The batsmen he dismissed may have been mostly tailenders. But still a worthy achievement !!

But his name is unique too!! Congratulations Yasir Arafat !! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Here's the Cricinfo news item by Osman Samiuddin-

Pakistan domestic cricket

Yasir Arafat equals world record

Osman Samiuddin

December 18, 2004

Yasir Arafat joined the select band of players who have claimed five wickets in six balls © Getty Images

Contrary to reports in some sections of the press, Yasir Arafat's five wickets in six balls for Rawalpindi against the national champions Faisalabad in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy wasn't a world record, but it was an impressive enough feat anyway.

Yasir, 22, who spent the northern summer playing league cricket in Scotland, ended Faisalabad's first innings in a flurry, picking up four wickets in five balls. He had Imran Khalid caught behind for 10, then had the wicketkeeper Kamran Naeem leg-before next ball. After bowling a no-ball, he clean bowled Ali Raza and Shahid Nazir, an ex-Test cricketer, in successive deliveries to end the Faisalabad innings for a paltry 64. When he then came on as first change in Faisalabad's second innings, he trapped Mohammad Hafeez, another ex-Test player, first ball to complete a hat-trick spread over two innings and also, the unusual feat of taking five wickets in six balls.

Yasir ended up with nine wickets in the match, to take his season's tally to 35 from seven games as Rawalpindi beat Faisalabad by six wickets. Faisalabad are already assured of a place in this season's Quaid-e-Azam Trophy final against Peshawar.

Only three other bowlers have managed Yasir's feat of five wickets in six balls: Bill Copson for Derbyshire against Warwickshire at Derby in 1937; William Henderson for Northern Transvaal against Orange Free State at Bloemfontein the following winter; and Pat Pocock for Surrey against Sussex at Eastbourne in 1972. But Yasir is alone in achieving it across two innings.

Yasir has been on the fringes of the Pakistan squad for some years now. He has played for Pakistan before, a couple of ODIs between 1999 and 2001. In a match in which Younis Khan also made his debut, Yasir picked up one wicket in five overs, that of Sanath Jayasuriya.

It was a round for near-misses in the record department as another national newspaper reported – again erroneously – that by taking seven dismissals in one innings for Lahore Blues against Karachi Blues on Wednesday, Adnan Akmal had created a national wicketkeeping record. Some newspapers claimed that he equalled the mark set by Wasim Bari and his own brother Kamran Akmal, who is currently playing for the national team in Australia. But in fact Tahir Rasheed, brother of the Pakistan team manager, Haroon Rasheed, holds it. Rasheed claimed nine victims (eight catches and a stumping) for Habib Bank against Pakistan Automobile Corporation (PACO) at Gujranwala in the 1992-93 Patron's Trophy. Kamran Akmal has never claimed seven victims in a single innings.

Osman Samiuddin in a freelance journalist based in Karachi.

© Cricinfo

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
i loath to take into account any record that isnt at international level as a world record. You're comparing records from 2 or more national first class competitions where the level of skill between them would probably vary alarmingly.
At least at international level its a level playing field for everyone.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SpaceMonkey said:
i loath to take into account any record that isnt at international level as a world record. You're comparing records from 2 or more national first class competitions where the level of skill between them would probably vary alarmingly.
Fair point !!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Casson said:
Fantastic achievement for a dead guy! Well done!

Oh, they spell their names differently...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Even the dead guy was a hero to many millions !! May he rest in peace !!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
No, it's not - anyone playing Bangladesh or Zimbabwe is far more skewed in ability than any disparity at domestic level.
First-Class-cricket is First-Class-cricket and, whatever the standard, it's still the same status and so the records (unfortunately in some cases) have equal value.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't see how you can consider Tests involving substandard sides to be skewed but not FC games involving equally substandard sides?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Richard said:
No, it's not - anyone playing Bangladesh or Zimbabwe is far more skewed in ability than any disparity at domestic level.
First-Class-cricket is First-Class-cricket and, whatever the standard, it's still the same status and so the records (unfortunately in some cases) have equal value.
Every team will get their chance vs Zim and Bangladesh tho. First-Class teams from different countries wont play each other so how can it be a valid record?
I was thinking today of having a proper First Class championship (maybe top team from each test country?) Like they have in Rugby League atm Top county side vs the Top state side maybe? Probably never happen tho.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I don't see how you can consider Tests involving substandard sides to be skewed but not FC games involving equally substandard sides?
I consider them equally skewed.
If, of course, the difference is the same - and Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are significantly worse than the next nation (be it West Indies [Tests] or England [ODIs]) than, for instance, the next worse county are than the two worse counties (Derbyshire and X)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Every team will get their chance vs Zim and Bangladesh tho. First-Class teams from different countries wont play each other so how can it be a valid record?
I didn't say it was meaningful - I said sadly there are records that, while with little meaning, are of equal validity.
I was thinking today of having a proper First Class championship (maybe top team from each test country?) Like they have in Rugby League atm Top county side vs the Top state side maybe? Probably never happen tho.
'T'would be impossible to organise. Especially as you'd have to do it around internationals.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
SpaceMonkey said:
county side vs the Top state side maybe?
I'd love to see, say, Victoria vs Hampshire.

"Warne has been given the ball, and comes in to start his spell with Victoria at 6-150, bowling to Warne..."

cricket player

International Debutant
i think that is a great achievment but the youngster perhaps the best player's come from the best domestic team. even though it is mentioned above that he dismmised mostly talinder's.if you see shoiab akhtar's domesitc stats you wont find any thing like like that and i totally disagree with space monkey international has it is own thing and domestic have it is own thing.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd love to see, say, Victoria vs Hampshire.

"Warne has been given the ball, and comes in to start his spell with Victoria at 6-150, bowling to Warne..."
:laugh: :laugh:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I consider them equally skewed.
If, of course, the difference is the same - and Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are significantly worse than the next nation (be it West Indies [Tests] or England [ODIs]) than, for instance, the next worse county are than the two worse counties (Derbyshire and X)
But these records are worldwide and there is an amazing gap in difference in quality between the top sides and the bottom ones - I believe that was the original point.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
About the same gap as there is between most teams and Bangladesh, really.
The biggest gap between two sides who are going to play each other, that is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because most of the time it isn't in-the-face.
For example, the gap between the top English county and the bottom one (whoever it may be, and neither are set in stone) is nowhere near as big as the gap between eighth and ninth in Test-cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Can you be sure about that, or is it just something you've decreed?

Besides that, this is talking about all domestic cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I watch little or no domestic cricket in New Zealand, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan or Sri Lanka.
In England, Australia and South Africa I do watch with some closeness and I can tell you (decree, if you like) that their competitions are much better matched than Test-cricket is!
Given that I watch little or no cricket in these countries, I'm not likely to see something to complain about, am I?