• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentators thread

Aritro

International Regular
The lady who did the Fury-Wilder fight is up there with the worst I've ever heard.

Not cos she's a lady, you understand, but because she was inane, inarticulate and maddeningly unfocussed.

The best combo of all time is Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler.

Honourable mentions go to the the AFL commentators Dennis Cometti, and Rex Hunt with his machine gun punnery. Mellifluous Yankee wordsmiths Marv Albert and Howard Cosell are the best I've heard from that side of the pond.

My favourite football commentator remains Martin Tyler. He gets a lot of stick these days but I'd still rather listen to him than pretty much anyone else. Peter Drury is pretty good as well.

Dishonourable mentions go to pretty much any past-player who's ever been wheeled out to do "analysis". Why is it so hard to find people who can both kick a ball and speak intelligently? It's all just ****ing insipid truisms and mangled phrases and blandly narrating what everyone at home can see for themselves in a replay.

Jim Beglin is the only one who doesn't make me wish I could turn the commentary off. Funnily enough, the best I've ever heard is the sieg-heiling, coke-snorting Mark Bosnich whose work on Australian commentary was a joy to listen to. Insightful, articulate and unfailingly astute when he still did the coverage of A-League and Australian national team matches. Sky and BT could do a lot worse than handing him a contract.

WICFan

U19 Captain
A commentary combination of McCoist and Tyldesley or Champion is good value.

Ian Darke is good at both football and boxing, Richie Woodall, Spencer Oliver and Johnny Nelson are all good pundits/co-commentators.

Could listen to Martin Tyler, Alan Parry, Peter Drury and Steve Wilson all easy enough. The co-commentators is more of a task as the likes of Savage and Carney get on my nerves.

Wrestling, would be hard to top the Ross and Lawler partnership. Bobby Heenan was great as well.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The absolute pinnacle of commentary idiocy has to go to Adam Smith. Standing out as being especially stupid amongst a bevy of UK boxing pundits is a remarkable achievement.

Try listening to the commentary on this fight, for example. Absolute masterclass in closing your eyes and talking utter crap