• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Club cricket structures around the world

Woodster

International Captain
All you need to know about the North East Premier League is South Northumberland (based in Gosforth), of Marcus North fame, destroy everyone. They're like the 1980s Windies of North East England club cricket, and have strengthened further for next season as they have just signed De Toit from Newcastle!

I actually feel, and I'm being serious here, that they'd whip Durham in an one-dayer.

They have been a superpower for the last decade basically, not just regionally but nationally.
Thanks mate. Presumably they invest some serious money in the club ? I’m sure the likes of North, du Toit don’t come cheap!

Do you know if they invest in overseas players ?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Thanks mate. Presumably they invest some serious money in the club ? I’m sure the likes of North, du Toit don’t come cheap!

Do you know if they invest in overseas players ?
Marcus North originally a player who then got bumped up to firstly a player-executive then an executive (he has now become a director at Durham). They acquired a load of money by selling off the tennis courts (it used to be South Northumberland Cricket and Tennis Club) for luxury apartments and built this Newcastle indoor cricket centre.

I believe every NEPL side is allowed one overseas. Each side can also field one Durham professional. All the Durham players are parceled off among the NEPL and SDNYPL (South Durham North Yorkshire Premier League) clubs. Some of them have long associations with their home clubs such as Collingwood (Shotley Bridge) and Onions (Gateshead Fell). Generally though it is a bit more like a season-by-season mart.

The Durham Academy were playing as a side in the NEPL but this has changed now drastically for 2019 season. The Academy have been withdrawn and the Academy players will instead play for their local PL sides (almost like a second ''junior'' professional).

You also have the ex-pros floating around, Mustard and the two Scots Coetzer and Macleod (all ex Durham), De Toit (Leicestershire),

Here is a preview of the NEPL sides for the 2018 season. It might give you a bit of an idea on how it operates, with the overseas/pros allocation and general coming-and-going,

2018 Season Arrives - North East Premier Cricket League

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Really interesting, thank you. I knew nothing at all about the structure in Sweden so that’s really helpful. Is there much money about for overseas players and do many clubs go down this route, that you’re aware of ?
It's been a bit of an eye opener. There's 2 grounds where they play all the international fixtures - Gärdet and Skarpnäck, but everything is shared facilities and the upkeep is done by the local council so the outfields are either bumpy as **** or the grass is long. The umpiring is awful and some teams take it pretty serious which has lead to physical fights like this one.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-brawl-bats-kviberg-gothenberg-a8427126.html

Not sure about payments. I'd be surprised if they did though unless the individual clubs were somehow securing funding externally. SACS picked up Ben Patterson from the Australian Indigenous team that toured England this summer and he was Elite Division player of year.

The SCF gets a couple of million crowns a year from the ICC, although I'm told not much of that makes its way back into the clubs. We have a thing here called Friskvård. Basically it's a tax credit from the government which you can spend on fitness and well-being and that covers your fees for the season.

Woodster

International Captain
Marcus North originally a player who then got bumped up to firstly a player-executive then an executive (he has now become a director at Durham). They acquired a load of money by selling off the tennis courts (it used to be South Northumberland Cricket and Tennis Club) for luxury apartments and built this Newcastle indoor cricket centre.

I believe every NEPL side is allowed one overseas. Each side can also field one Durham professional. All the Durham players are parceled off among the NEPL and SDNYPL (South Durham North Yorkshire Premier League) clubs. Some of them have long associations with their home clubs such as Collingwood (Shotley Bridge) and Onions (Gateshead Fell). Generally though it is a bit more like a season-by-season mart.

The Durham Academy were playing as a side in the NEPL but this has changed now drastically for 2019 season. The Academy have been withdrawn and the Academy players will instead play for their local PL sides (almost like a second ''junior'' professional).

You also have the ex-pros floating around, Mustard and the two Scots Coetzer and Macleod (all ex Durham), De Toit (Leicestershire),

Here is a preview of the NEPL sides for the 2018 season. It might give you a bit of an idea on how it operates, with the overseas/pros allocation and general coming-and-going,

2018 Season Arrives - North East Premier Cricket League
Most insightful, thanks. The link certainly helps me to get a feel of the league, cheers.

Woodster

International Captain
It's been a bit of an eye opener. There's 2 grounds where they play all the international fixtures - Gärdet and Skarpnäck, but everything is shared facilities and the upkeep is done by the local council so the outfields are either bumpy as **** or the grass is long. The umpiring is awful and some teams take it pretty serious which has lead to physical fights like this one.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-brawl-bats-kviberg-gothenberg-a8427126.html

Not sure about payments. I'd be surprised if they did though unless the individual clubs were somehow securing funding externally. SACS picked up Ben Patterson from the Australian Indigenous team that toured England this summer and he was Elite Division player of year.

The SCF gets a couple of million crowns a year from the ICC, although I'm told not much of that makes its way back into the clubs. We have a thing here called Friskvård. Basically it's a tax credit from the government which you can spend on fitness and well-being and that covers your fees for the season.
Some clearly do take it very seriously! Such a low level of umpiring and poor outfields doesn’t make a harmonious game of cricket, let’s hope these elements change in the coming years.